Home – New Forums Starting your journey How do I start a new dairy food product?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    goeyleech
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hello everyone :)

I’ve got a great idea for a new dairy product that can be marketed as healthy- much more so than Greek yoghurt.

It’s a type of curd, so not quite a yoghurt and not quite cream cheese.
    But I have no idea about the process involved in starting a new product. I am in NSW and/or ACT.

I understand there are many health and standards I have to follow which I can find out, but the actual process of new dairy product to shelf is beyond me at the moment.

I guess my initial questions are:
    – Are there wholesalers that make curds/yogurts to your recipe that then supply you the base product. And then you just have to package and sell it as your own?
    – Or do I have to make the actual curd myself in a kitchen/factory, then package, then sell all on my own?

Thanks for your help :)

Lucinda Lions
    • Total posts: 104
    Up

Hi goeyleech

Welcome to the Flying Solo forums!

Congratulations on your new dairy product, and hopefully you’ll receive some useful responses.

It would be great if you could introduce yourself so that we can find out a bit about you. Head here.

Have a great day!
    Lucinda :)

Totally Awesome
    • Total posts: 63
    Up
    goeyleech, post: 198014 wrote:
    Hello everyone :)

I’ve got a great idea for a new dairy product that can be marketed as healthy- much more so than Greek yoghurt.

Hmmmm, interesting.

Have you actually made your “idea”?

Need to know how far you have got in making this great product before any marketing or production suggestions can be made.

goeyleech
    Up
    Totally Awesome, post: 198032 wrote:
    Hmmmm, interesting.

Have you actually made your “idea”?

Need to know how far you have got in making this great product before any marketing or production suggestions can be made.

Hey Totally Awesome,

Yeah I make it at home sometimes. It’s like not a cheese and not a yoghurt.
    It’s known as kvarg in Sweden.

So I guess to make it into a proper product I need to make it on a much larger scale and needa proper kitchen if I’m going to sell it is that right?
    But I guess I want to know is there a wholesaler who can make it for me if I give them the recipe? Or how does it work?

Thanks

Totally Awesome
    Up
    goeyleech, post: 198233 wrote:
    Hey Totally Awesome,

Yeah I make it at home sometimes. It’s like not a cheese and not a yoghurt.
    It’s known as kvarg in Sweden.

So I guess to make it into a proper product I need to make it on a much larger scale and needa proper kitchen if I’m going to sell it is that right?
    But I guess I want to know is there a wholesaler who can make it for me if I give them the recipe? Or how does it work?

Thanks

Kvarg is a variety of Cottage Cheese.

Yes, you will need to need a “proper” (as in heath dept approved) kitchen.
    Yes, any one who has such a kitchen, and is suitable equipment-wise, can make it for you.. obviously at a cost to you.
    And yes, someone may take it on to be a distributor if they thought they can make a dollar or two in doing so.

But that’s where the crunch is – if they thought they can make a dollar or two in doing so.

Have you evidence that this is a sellable item? That there is a big enough market for it?

My suggestion (if not done already)
    1 – Test the market by getting feedback from others – friends etc. Even d
    2 – Try selling at a community market (make sure you do proper labelling)

At least now you will have some way of judging how well it will sell – and something to show anyone interested in the marketing/manufacturing opportunity.

goeyleech
    Up
    Totally Awesome, post: 198259 wrote:
    Kvarg is a variety of Cottage Cheese.

Yes, you will need to need a “proper” (as in heath dept approved) kitchen.
    Yes, any one who has such a kitchen, and is suitable equipment-wise, can make it for you.. obviously at a cost to you.
    And yes, someone may take it on to be a distributor if they thought they can make a dollar or two in doing so.

But that’s where the crunch is – if they thought they can make a dollar or two in doing so.

Have you evidence that this is a sellable item? That there is a big enough market for it?

My suggestion (if not done already)
    1 – Test the market by getting feedback from others – friends etc. Even d
    2 – Try selling at a community market (make sure you do proper labelling)

At least now you will have some way of judging how well it will sell – and something to show anyone interested in the marketing/manufacturing opportunity.

Ok so does “any one who has such a kitchen, and is suitable equipment-wise, can make it for you.. obviously at a cost to you” mean that there are companies dedicated to making the base dairy product for you? Or are you just referring to me hiring a friend?

And does distributor refer to someone who sells the final product or someone who sells the product to me (much like what I said in the previous paragraph)?

I guess I’m just needing some examples- I apologise for my ignorance on the topic.

There is certainly massive demand in Europe. One new ‘chobani-esque’ brand has started in the US last year. Another in the UK a few months ago.
    Danone bought Russia’s biggest producer of quark. And another big company bought out someone else in 2011 I forget the name at this time.
    And in the fitness industry nobody can stop talking about it. Of course I would round up hard facts and data as you suggested.

Would any of those stats make a persuasive case to start do you think?

Thanks!

Totally Awesome
    Up
    goeyleech, post: 198294 wrote:
    Ok so does “any one who has such a kitchen, and is suitable equipment-wise, can make it for you.. obviously at a cost to you” mean that there are companies dedicated to making the base dairy product for you? Or are you just referring to me hiring a friend?

And does distributor refer to someone who sells the final product or someone who sells the product to me (much like what I said in the previous paragraph)?

I guess I’m just needing some examples- I apologise for my ignorance on the topic.

There is certainly massive demand in Europe. One new ‘chobani-esque’ brand has started in the US last year. Another in the UK a few months ago.
    Danone bought Russia’s biggest producer of quark. And another big company bought out someone else in 2011 I forget the name at this time.
    And in the fitness industry nobody can stop talking about it. Of course I would round up hard facts and data as you suggested.

Would any of those stats make a persuasive case to start do you think?

Thanks!

Ignorance is only ignorance when one doesn’t want to know more. So keep on “askin”.

Overseas statistics are fine but nothing beats local market testing.

Yes there are companies who will make up what you want… but it will be in quantities.

To test the market start small.
    1 – Talk (get friendly) with your local health inspector.
    They may allow a one-off home bake of just testing the market.
    If not they will direct you on who/where you can achieve a sample cook up.
    Hire a local hall or use a cafe’s kitchen for example.
    2 – Prepare a “Would you like to try” event. Like at a shopping centre or a busy park.
    Use a survey sheet to record responses. Use the KISS approach.
    If verbally then have a friend do the survey – you handing out samples remember.
    3 – You now have some indication if the product will sell or not.

A distributor – the one who works for you to get your product out there.

Yes, quark is a huge selling item overseas.
    It would be interesting to know why it is not as popular here as there. (Homework maybe -to find out why. :) . )
    It is generally available through Health Food shops and Delicatessens so more homework – find out what actually is available.

Now here’s an idea – make up a batch and find out what the health food shops and delis think of yours.

goeyleech
    Up

Ok thanks for your help and taking the time to respond with details :)

Krisl
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

http://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au/shop/ProductDetails?Stockcode=168855&name=paris-creek-quark-organic-swiss-style… Quark is already available at woollies..it’s not cheap with 7.39$ for 450gr and where I live it’s often not in stock..yes there is certainly a demand from the European community as we use this a lot for baking..it’s good stuff but it’s not new..and yes I would like more competition in the market…good luck

goeyleech
    Up
    Krisl, post: 200328 wrote:
    http://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au/shop/ProductDetails?Stockcode=168855&name=paris-creek-quark-organic-swiss-style… Quark is already available at woollies..it’s not cheap with 7.39$ for 450gr and where I live it’s often not in stock..yes there is certainly a demand from the European community as we use this a lot for baking..it’s good stuff but it’s not new..and yes I would like more competition in the market…good luck

Hi Krisl

Thanks for your feedback :)
    Yes I know it’s available, which means there may already be demand (albeit small).
    But that branding, and that price, and that product taste…. There’s just so many things wrong with it I dont know where to start.
    And then of course I didn’t know where to start with making a new brand either which is what brought me here :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.