Home – New Forums Tech talk How do I sync all my emails?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Safe Skies
    • Total posts: 202
    Up
    ::

Hi all

I have a iPhone, iPad and Mac I use all three for checking and returning emails, I have a gmail account and my business account. How do I keep them all synced? So when I open one email on my iPhone it’s already opened on my iPad and Mac?

Any help would be great.

G

tbc
    • Total posts: 29
    Up
    Safe Skies, post: 90288 wrote:
    Hi all

I have a iPhone, iPad and Mac I use all three for checking and returning emails, I have a gmail account and my business account. How do I keep them all synced? So when I open one email on my iPhone it’s already opened on my iPad and Mac?

Any help would be great.

G

Hi Safe,

For Gmail, things should work pretty well (if you’re accessing it directly) by following the instructions here: https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77702

The business account depends on the type of the account. The key thing is that you want to be using IMAP rather than POP. If you’re just using a generic hosting email account, they’ll often not have IMAP, which mean that the older POP just downloads messages from server, but does no synchronisation.

If you’re not already using Google Apps for your business, and you’re a Gmail user, you could have a look at Google Apps (Standard version is free), and then the same instructions as above apply.

Hope this helps.

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up

As tbc says, Gmail can do the synchronising for you quite nicely if you enable IMAP – something that in my mind should be enabled by default.

If your business account doesn’t offer IMAP, then you could either switch to Google Apps (Gmail backend with your business name instead of @gmail) or you could look at synchronisation software such as Mobile Me or iCloud when it becomes available. Personally I don’t like relying on synchronisation software as it often introduces complexity for no benefit over IMAP.

I’ve put instructions for enabling IMAP on my website with screen dumps – Enable IMAP on your Gmail account

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    John

Safe Skies
    • Total posts: 202
    Up

Thank you very much guys I will be trying this in a bit, just to confirm, if I enable imap on my gmail and business emails they will sync, or I sign up to google doc?

Thanks

G

John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up
    Safe Skies, post: 90304 wrote:
    Thank you very much guys I will be trying this in a bit, just to confirm, if I enable imap on my gmail and business emails they will sync, or I sign up to google doc?

Thanks

G

Hmmmm… I’m not sure what you’re asking here.

Enabling IMAP will mean that that email account will be synchronised across all of the devices which you configure for that email account. It won’t mean that your two unrelated email accounts will be synchronised to each other.

There’s no need to use Google Docs for anything. Google Apps is an option if your business email account doesn’t offer IMAP.

Enabling IMAP on an existing Gmail account is a simple and relatively straight-forward process with very few likely problems.

If you do want to sign up for Google Apps and convert your business email address over, I recommend you take some time to read through all the instructions and make sure you understand the entire process as it does often catch people out.

Good luck and feel free to ask if you’re not sure.

Cheers,
    John

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.