Home – New Forums Marketing mastery How do I validate my target market

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    anitahaynes
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

First time poster but long time lurker here. First of all thanks so much for spending your precious time helping out small businesses in this forum. I found a lot of valuable knowledge here – really appreciate it.

Now I have recently launched an online store selling kids and grown-up party decorations https://prettypartypacks.com.au

So here comes the gruelling marketing work and my question is – out of the number of social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, etc) and marketing avenues (online directory, AdWords) out there, how do you know which one will be most effective i.e. generate the most traffic to my website?

Is it brute force technique? Or would it be better to pinpoint my target market and find out which platforms are commonly used? But then how do I go about this – do I ask people to fill in a online survey or do I go out talk to mums at say, shopping mall? Help!

Anita

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

Others might disagree but I would suggest that you sign up for something like statcounter or google analytics. Then do some free marketing on a number of platforms.
    You can check your stats every day to find out where your traffic is coming from, and the keywords they use. You will find out a heap of useful information that will help you determine where to spend your advertising money to be most effective.

elissa.doxey
    • Total posts: 145
    Up

Hi Anita,

I’m sure we have a marketing guru or two that can offer advice, but you may have to run a few trial-and-error tests with those three platforms. If you can, use google webmaster tools & get familiar with google analytics – there are online tutorials.

Be a little wary of online directories out there – very few actually generate any leads & most just generate spam calls trying to sell SEO services.

By all means, conduct a simple online survey, but keep the questions tight & have a clear idea what information exactly you want to find out. This can be relatively simple to promote on facebook, and then run a small campaign via facebook & instagram (they offer swapsies when you use their ad managers) to get an idea of which platforms they prefer & whether they fit your target market.

I’d say Pinterest is something you could easily pursue for connecting with party addicts & you might not even need to update it too often.

All the best,
    Elissa

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

What and where would you share with your friends? Start there.

I would start sharing your journey with your friends – just document everything that happens (new supplies, new designs, successes, failures, questions/surveys, day in the life, customer successes, etc).

Simply use the channel that makes sense for this. One you already know. One your friends are on (and people like them).

Dave

Trent Tran
    Participant
    • Total posts: 166
    Up

[USER=28729]@Helen27[/USER] from this thread http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/index.php?threads/getting-discouraged.36699/ may be able to answer that to you. Her website turns 3 years of age since the above thread. One of a few ” I have an online store” which survive until now.

Other than that, you just have to attract traffic by blogs, by answering people need. Shopify Dashboard Analytic will tell you more once you have a decent traffic who your target is

Joli
    Participant
    • Total posts: 39
    Up

I’m not expert, however, I would imagine in light of what you sell, that Instagram would work well because it is a visual platform. What yo sell is very visual.

RoseC
    • Total posts: 58
    Up

So, yes you need to be on the platforms where your audience is hanging out. But also only use the social platforms that suit your business.

As people have already said, visually led social will probably be a great fit for you – Pinterest, maybe Instagram and You Tube for any crafting videos.

Using analytics will help define your audience, as will any emails or correspondence you get from clients as they interact with your site.

Also, a really simple way to get the ball rolling is to look at where your competitors are hanging out. Look at the companies within your industry you admire and see what kind of audience traction they’re getting on the different platforms.

anitahaynes
    Up

Thanks all for your suggestions! Funny I’m not getting notification for these replies.

I have created FB, Pinterest and Instagram accounts however maintaining all these platforms would require a lot effort so I’ve decided to focus on Instagram at this stage (Instagram shoppable post sounds interesting). I’m getting new followers and likes but no conversion so far.

The only sales I’m making are from Ebay however it’s tight competition against Chinese sellers which I want to move away from.

I’m still waiting for all my pages to be indexed by Google. In the mean time I’m working on SEO and will continue to monitor traffic via Google Analytics.

Thanks again for your responses there’s definitely some great ideas to try :)

Regards,
    Anita

Quinn Askeland
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    anitahaynes, post: 256771, member: 101897 wrote:
    Hi guys,

So here comes the gruelling marketing work and my question is – out of the number of social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, etc) and marketing avenues (online directory, AdWords) out there, how do you know which one will be most effective i.e. generate the most traffic to my website?

Is it brute force technique? Or would it be better to pinpoint my target market and find out which platforms are commonly used? But then how do I go about this – do I ask people to fill in a online survey or do I go out talk to mums at say, shopping mall? Help!

Anita

Hi Anita, Brute force or trial and error is unfortunately the way most people figure out what works – if they are lucky. There are much better ways to do this. For example, I see you are on Instagram – great, but are there others in similar industries that are making money and is it going to be something you enjoy doing for a reasonable amount of time? Traffic is great but pointless if it does not convert or you don’t enjoy the process. OK, I could go on about the challenges, but you are on the right path when you ask. “pinpoint my target market and find out which platforms are commonly used?” – I would suggest “pinpoint my target market and find out which platforms to focus on which one or two are most likely to generate the best results for me and my target customer?” Start with getting clarity on who you target market is. If you know this you will know if they have money and are willing to spend it. Do you need help figuring out your target market?

anitahaynes
    Up

Hi Quinn, thanks for your reply. Google analytics have given me valuable insights into user demographics and user behaviour which is extremely useful.

Now I’m just looking at analytics data over the course of 2 days in the weekend. I’m getting a bounce rate of 40%, 1 session per user, averaging at 4.5 pages per session. I thought these numbers are pretty good (or is it?) but I’m still not converting? I only had 1 sale since the store was launched earlier this week. Is there any GA expert out there who can tell me what this means?

Thanks again everyone I appreciate it :)

Anita

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    anitahaynes, post: 256984, member: 101897 wrote:
    but I’m still not converting?

Have you looked at your website as to why you aren’t converting.

Some problems I can see which would prevent me from purchasing..

Have you checked your copy, for trust I look at how ell things are written, when you see grammatical errors, the red flags go up.

Postage, at first I couldn’t find out how much postage was without having to go through the checkout process and giving you my details. I happened to pop back to the home page and there in tiny writing I found it, but you need that in your FAQ’s, plus other places as it can be missed on first landing.

Just my thought, but to me your pricing may not be ideal.

Your refund policy is an immediate turn off, if you send me the wrong items I have to pay for the return postage and wait at your mercy to approve the refund. Why would anyone buy from your store.

Fix your website and policies before you attract any people to it.

Quinn Askeland
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    anitahaynes, post: 256984, member: 101897 wrote:
    Hi Quinn, thanks for your reply. Google analytics have given me valuable insights into user demographics and user behaviour which is extremely useful.

Now I’m just looking at analytics data over the course of 2 days in the weekend. I’m getting a bounce rate of 40%, 1 session per user, averaging at 4.5 pages per session. I thought these numbers are pretty good (or is it?) but I’m still not converting? I only had 1 sale since the store was launched earlier this week. Is there any GA expert out there who can tell me what this means?

Thanks again everyone I appreciate it :)

Anita

Hi Anita, Those numbers from analytics are terrific however the analytics data will have a much more value as you get more sales (and data) and you can see who is buying. Then you can focus on getting more of those visitors, raving fans and sales. Don’t think it is worth worrying too much about it at this point.

Right now it is much better to focus on the psychographics (The: What Makes them Buy) and do more of the activities that you think will grow sales!

If it seems like chicken before the egg it does not need to if you are clear about the value proposition you have for you target person and what makes them buy.

anitahaynes
    Up

Hi Bert thanks for your feedback I would definitely be focusing on fixing copy and adding more info into FAQ.

Wrong items will be replaced at no cost but I guess that wasn’t communicated clearly.

Regards,
    Anita

Corey
    • Total posts: 568
    Up

g’day Anita and welcome

Tip 1 – place you website address in your signature here (creates backlinks)

Cheers
    Corey

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    anitahaynes, post: 257018, member: 101897 wrote:
    Wrong items will be replaced at no cost but I guess that wasn’t communicated clearly.

Hopefully not just wrong, but damaged or defective items as well

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.