Home – New Forums Money matters how do you all organise yourself?!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Earthmover
    • Total posts: 33
    Up
    ::

sorry if this is in the wrong section

i’d love to know how everyone organizes themselves and manages to do all the admin tasks like banking, accounts, marketing, updating websites etc for their business?

When i get home at the end of the day all i can do it eat and sleep, how do you find the time to do everything that you need to do? I just cant seem to get myself organized so my bas, bills, website, emails, quotes etc are all overdue (especially BAS and income tax). And somehow i have to fit in time to study as well since I’ve gone back to study too!

do you have a routine or tips to get things done faster?
    i’d love to outsource things like my book keeping but so far not making enough money to be able to spend any extra

cheers,

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

The interesting thing I find is that if you see something as important or see value in doing it, you are far more likely to make time to do it.

I am sure you don’t see value in doing your BAS but if you don’t do it your will have to pay interest so the value is that you don’t wan to pay the government more than you have to.

Set value to the tasks you have to do and you will find time. :)

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Ok,

Let me preface this by saying i had a huge reply to this post and opted to delete it.. Then i seen lovely Kelly’s reply and thought, how succinct.. and was inspired to add a simple little comment:

Running a business requires many things to be performed, routinely, with each requiring time to be allocated to it.. If you break down what is important (as Kelly sort of says) and identify it as being a task that is required, you will be able to work through anything that is put in front of you.

Be it: BAS, Phone Calls, Emails, Marketing and the likes..

From a tradies perspective (sorry just mean someone offsite and not in an office as you appear to be) it can be more difficult although its important to either allocate a time at the start of your day (although i am sure you start very early) or at the end of the day where you spend 30 minutes tending to the administrative side.. Turn off your mobile and give it your 110% attention/focus and you will be ok..

If, as you say, by the time you get home you just want to eat and sleep may i ask is this 7 days a week? as you will need to wind back somehow to pay attention to the menial tasks, because if you do not you could cause yourself personal harm (mental and physical) and worse still have a business implode from lack of attention.

From memory i seen a reply of yours regarding sacking customers where you mentioned that sometimes you have a free day that comes about when you have to allocate 4 days to a job but only use 3 as completed early (or there abouts)… What do you do on this ‘spare day’?

Understanding i didnt answer you directly, just wanted to provoke some thoughts.. for me, i do the following:
    1. create a daily to do list… Get as much done as possible between calls, emails, customers and the likes and carry over whatever i cant (or couldnt) complete that day to the next

2. respond to ALL my email in the AM, and then periodically check during the day

3. prioritise anything that could be monetised.. sales queries, leads, follow ups on previous customer queries and the likes

4. enjoy my coffee, or a personal chat with a friend mid morning

5. Always hold myself accountable to what i know needs to be done…

Re BAS etc, i only pay attention to it quarterly as i keep my MYOB up to date daily as i like to know where my business stands on a day by day basis.

Anyways, another long post.. not sure if it was as long as the one i deleted.. but sorry for taking up a chunk of your thread…

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

If you’re predominately on the tools throughout the day, you should look at outsourcing key management / administration duties to some-one like a virtual assistant. This will ensure you are most focused on your main job which actually makes you money, and everything gets done in a timely and organised manner.

Then you could set aside allocated blocks of time throughout the week to deal with essential tasks in a manageable way.

Too many tradies burn the candle at both ends the traditional way, and this isn’t too good for them, and prospective customers.

PRO
    • Total posts: 450
    Up

We live and breathe via ASANA.com we have separate projects for every file broken down into routine tasks.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up
    Earthmover, post: 204045 wrote:

i’d love to know how everyone organizes themselves and manages to do all the admin tasks like banking, accounts, marketing, updating websites etc for their business?

When i get home at the end of the day all i can do it eat and sleep, how do you find the time to do everything that you need to do? I just cant seem to get myself organized so my bas, bills, website, emails, quotes etc are all overdue (especially BAS and income tax). And somehow i have to fit in time to study as well since I’ve gone back to study too!

i’d love to outsource things like my book keeping but so far not making enough money to be able to spend any extra

cheers,

Odesk or Elance may be options for you to consider in regards to outsourcing your bookkeeping.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Earthmover, post: 204045 wrote:

cheers,

I tried outsourcing my book keeping for a while, but I just found that the book keepers dont have any real interest in your business, so I was finding errors, or things just not been done correctly. At the end of the year the accountant was finding to many issues as well, which was costing me more with him as well.

My solution was to just set aside 20 minutes each night to bash away at the keyboard, my invoices are much better, no more errors, and my accountant now has nothing to complain about. I know they say do what you are best at, and let the “professionals” do what they should do, but I am now doing what the bookeepers took 5 hours a week to do badly, knocking it over it about 2 hours and getting a far better job done. So cheaper in the long run.

ShellysBookkeeping
    • Total posts: 89
    Up

Sounds like you had a terrible bookkeeper bb1. Not all of us are like that, fortunately for most small business.
    I prepare a to do list with priorities for each day, I also try to automate bills, eg my phone bills are a set monthly amount, So I have recurring bank payments and also recurring bills in Xero setup. Requires minimal time, however not all bills can be automated. Receipt bank and equivalent are great too for minimising data entry of bills.
    I must admit marketing and website updates are my least favourite tasks and get neglected during busy times.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    ShellysBookkeeping, post: 204265 wrote:
    Sounds like you had a terrible bookkeeper bb1. Not all of us are like that, fortunately for most small business.

I actually tried 2 before I took it back onboard,

And about 50% of my clients are small business’s themselves, and a number of them have tried the outsourcing path, and taken it back after finding the experiment didnt work.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.