Home – New Forums Other discussions How do you deal with bad days?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kelly Exeter FS Editor
    • Total posts: 241
    Up
    ::

I asked this question over on the FS Facebook page and thought it would be a good one to ask here too. (Would love to do a Friday ‘community post’ on the main FS site using your answers.)

So, in a sentence or two … I’d love to hear your answer to: “How do you deal with a bad day?”

Mine is remember something my five year old said to me once: “Mummy, every today has a tomorrow.” Ah, the wisdom of kids!

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

For me, it depends on the cause of the bad day :) It could be time out of office with a coffee or friend, a chat with an impartial business colleague to gain perspective or if alone looking inwardly to understand if or if it is not the centre of the universe caving in.. and generally speaking, rarely do i identify that the universe is inwardly collapsing and continue merrily along with my daily tasks :)

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: hello@lucasarthur.net.au   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

If you can start your day with 5 things you are happy with / proud of – that can help alleviate the bad stuff.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

100 years from today = all new people.
    So does today’s problem matter? Not really.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

Change into my tracky pants and ugg boots (my onesie for a particularly bad day!!), pour a glass of wine, and settle down to watch an old “chick flick”. There could be chocolate involved too. Forget about what’s happened and realise that tomorrow will start new. Oh, and also hope that a bad day doesn’t bottom out in the morning, or the wine has to go on hold for a few hours lol.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Along Wendy’s line Chocolate and wine, and if time permits go do some Geocaching. By the next day the bad day is gone, and move on.

Kelly Exeter FS Editor
    Up

Love it you guys!

ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    Up

Last week I had one of the hardest weeks I’ve had since I can last remember. An ex-client was very angry and upset with me over miscommunications, and getting to the point of threatening legal action.

It helped clarify for me the strategies to handle those sorts of days. It’s quite extensive and more for those ‘REALLY bad days’, but maybe it could help others:

1. The panic, anxiety, stress and frustration in me are all bundled up in a ball of energy. I needed to do something with that energy instead of holding onto it. So I went to the gym and worked really hard until I was exhausted. This means endorphins + putting the energy to good use. We think the energy is bad, but actually it’s just energy. We can change the intention and purpose for it into something good.

2. But the waves of panic still crest over me, so I turn to meditation and breathing techniques. These were incredibly helpful. Being present, focusing on my breath, and each time thoughts of this ex-client came into my mind, I would consciously let them go.

3. Harbouring no ill-will. It’s so easy to get swept up into our ego, into needing to be right, which means we fear so badly that we are wrong. The panic doubles in size. So my next action is to send love/compassion to the person who I’m in conflict with. I imagine that between them and I, everything is okay, I want the best for them, and I send love to them. Then I let them go, because I don’t need that sort of conflict in my life.

Overall, for me, it’s about recognizing the truth of a situation, of what’s really happening, and not taking on the rest of the bull****. My ego loooooves fantasizing about situations where the client is wrong, and I’m right, and that’ll teach them. But it means I’m fermenting that negative energy, I’m holding onto it. Rather than learning from the mistakes I’ve made, putting my learning to positive use for all my other clients, and making something GOOD out of a bad situation.

This was quite long, sorry for the rant, it was a really difficult week. But hopefully one of these points might help others through an equally bad day. :)

Kelly Exeter FS Editor
    Up

Wow [USER=37483]@ScarlettR[/USER] – it sucks that last week happened. But your strategies for coping/staying on top of it all are amazing. I hear you on the ego one. The freedom that comes from letting the need to be ‘right’ go … it’s amazing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.