Home – New Forums Get productive How do you keep the passion alive?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    gregpritchard.virtualcio
    • Total posts: 51
    Up
    ::

In business, there are up times and down times of course; both for the business itself, and for ourselves running the business.

These down times may be externally influenced by the economy around us. Or it may be a gig/deal/pitch/engagement which was lost. It may be personal burnout. Or some other factor.

One of the ways I keep myself going through tough times is to talk through the topic with my coach. My coach has a fantastic knack of helping me see the successes achieved, rather than the opportunities lost. As well as guiding me back onto the path towards my goals. This positive reinforcement keeps my fire burning.

So, how do you keep the passion alive for your business?

Note: this thread was inspired by a post on another thread. I thought it warranted a thread of its own given how important our passion and energy levels are to the businesses we run.

MissieK
    • Total posts: 234
    Up

I’ve stopped listening to things about the economic downturn for a start…

This is something I struggle with from time to time. Generally these feelings come when I’m trying to do way too much! So, I take some time out, play with the kids, or do something different. Generally the next day I’m fine again :)

Melissa

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

I have occasional down times when I wonder if I should keep doing what I’m doing. The economic thing doesn’t enter into this – it’s normally more a case of feeling like I’m not appreciated. I spend some time crying, praying and thinking and reading and usually during this time I get an email or a phone call from someone saying that if I hadn’t been there when…. then they wouldn’t be doing what they’re doing now. That’s all I needed to boost me and stop doubting what I do.

Re the economy – things are always up and down, there is always doom and gloom on the radio. And yet there are still people who flourish when times are supposed to be down. What do they do differently? Use this time to market differently, speak to people, keep connected and visible – I do the same.

organiser
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

I like to keep a list of ideas to implement ‘when I have time’. They’re usually process improvements or business development ideas. When I’m going through a negative patch of any kind or magnitude I like to revisit that list and pick one out to do some brainstorming, mind-mapping or some form of investigation and get the idea started. Sometimes they get off the ground and breath life into my work, other times I find they’re not relevant or viable. But whatever happens it always stimulates the passion for my business again :)

divapromotions
    • Total posts: 29
    Up

I’ve created my own little ‘network’ so to speak of other solopreneurs. We chat on the phone for an hour once a week and hear about each’s ups and downs and how we can help.

I also have a ‘buddy’ who I talk to most days. We help each other out as sounding boards for our businesses.

So, I run to these people when I need some extra motivation..

Or I look at my vision board and that keeps me going. (or the bank account…)!!

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

I made a series of small cards with a picture and few words on each one. When ever I need motivation I pull them out and look at them.
    Put on the cards things that inspire you or motivate you …

partner,
    children,
    long term non business goals (holiday, house, car, whatever)
    business goals – better with a picture or graph
    health / fitness
    etc

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Wow.
    So how do we keep the passion alive.
    First of all we have to have passion for what we do.
    Because we have gone out as soloists dosnt mean that we are passionate about what we are doing. Some of us went solo because we wanted to be independent , wanted some sort of freedom , wanted to get a more balanced life.

Passion is something that gradually builds within you because you realise that what you are doing is interesting satisfying and rewarding. Often what you set out to do as a soloist changes somewhere along the journey and you start to take a different view of things.

I never set out to be a cleaner, it was a means to and end, but somewhere during the last 22 years I have become very passionate about cleaning to the verge of boring.
    Its not the actual job of cleaning that Im passionate about its the industry.
    ( told you I was strange).
    There are so many different facets of cleaning that makes it so interesting, the fact that the industry is looked down upon rather than looked up to for with out cleaning people would be coming down with all sorts of illnesses.

So how do I keep the passion alive.
    I look at what I have achieved, and then look at what I can give back to an industry that has looked after me financially, satisfied my desires and kept me interested the passion now for me is to have the industry recognised for what it is A MOST ESSENTIAL SERVICE

Carole
    • Total posts: 67
    Up

Every time I see a smashed bus shelter, grafitti on a shop wall, a bratty kid or parent at the end of their rope, I become motivated to make my business work. I really believe in what I am doing and know that the skills that I teach work. I have used them with my own children and they have turned out wonderfully well.
    Cheers,

staceybarr
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

Last week I discovered the power of talking to my customers just to say hi and see how they’re going. I was actually trying to find a few people that could be case studies for a story a journalist was writing about my work. So it was totally accidental but I so glad it happened!

Wow. I felt my passion reignite straight away.

So now I’m trying to talk to at least one customer each day, by phone ideally, just to stay connected with the outside world, connected to the people I am here to serve, and connected to those that appreciate and experience a great difference from my work.

I wouldn’t say I’m relying on customer feedback for my passion, but it sure does help when you feel that passion draining away.

Plus you can keep your finger on the pulse of what your customers need and want…

staceybarr
    Up
    divapromotions, post: 491 wrote:
    I’ve created my own little ‘network’ so to speak of other solopreneurs. We chat on the phone for an hour once a week and hear about each’s ups and downs and how we can help.

I also have a ‘buddy’ who I talk to most days. We help each other out as sounding boards for our businesses.

So, I run to these people when I need some extra motivation..

Or I look at my vision board and that keeps me going. (or the bank account…)!!

Hey Emma – I have a network of solopreneurs I speak with for an hour a week, too! They’re fantastic.

businessbooster
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    gregpritchard.virtualcio, post: 355 wrote:
    In business, there are up times and down times of course; both for the business itself, and for ourselves running the business.

These down times may be externally influenced by the economy around us. Or it may be a gig/deal/pitch/engagement which was lost. It may be personal burnout. Or some other factor.

One of the ways I keep myself going through tough times is to talk through the topic with my coach. My coach has a fantastic knack of helping me see the successes achieved, rather than the opportunities lost. As well as guiding me back onto the path towards my goals. This positive reinforcement keeps my fire burning.

So, how do you keep the passion alive for your business?

Note: this thread was inspired by a post on another thread. I thought it warranted a thread of its own given how important our passion and energy levels are to the businesses we run.

I think that if the passion starts to die i think it’s a sign that you need a break to refresh yourself. You need to get a better life balance, spend more time with your family, spend some time on your hobby.
    I find that i am a bit of a workaholic so i can drive myself to the stage that i almost resent my business, but two days getting out and about and meeting different people and i soon get my passion back.

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

Getting out and about is important. I’ve found over the years I’ve become a bit of a ‘hermit’ – I love being at home and don’t want to go out, but when I make myself go to attend a networking event or something social I am always glad I did so and I come back refreshed and alive with new ideas.

staceybarr
    Up
    kathiemt, post: 536 wrote:
    Getting out and about is important. I’ve found over the years I’ve become a bit of a ‘hermit’ – I love being at home and don’t want to go out, but when I make myself go to attend a networking event or something social I am always glad I did so and I come back refreshed and alive with new ideas.

Kathie, you so inspire me with this!

I am a hermit, definitely, and the risk is you get so wrapped up in your own little world and fantasies without a reality check. It’s just so easy to underestimate the electric energy that people exchange – when they are face to face!

My goal from now onward is to go to at least 2 live networking events a month. It’s a start!

Lisa Murray – Biz Coach
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

Hi
    I am 100% clear about my ‘big vision’ and the 3 or 4 big goals its going to take to get there. In the moments when the mundane is getting me down, I stick my head way up in the clouds and get enthused about my purpose and why I’m doing this.

I’ve also got a great bunch of solopreneurs that I talk to (often daily!!) and I make a point of meeting new people who can share interesting perspectives. Enthusiasm is catching!!

Sometimes I just break the pattern completely – take the dog for a walk to get an icecream, call up someone for a coffee or an impromptu lunch, have a swing in the hammock… anything that will change my point of view.

Jexley
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

I’m a big fan of taking time out to play with kids in the yard, or get into the shop and make something, or even just go for a walk.

That said, I love the ideas that Ray had about writing things on cards, perhaps even with pictures, and then looking at them when motivation starts to wane.

I also really dig the comment about touching base with your favourite clients, this one really spoke to me. I found that when I didn’t have as much work with my favourite clients, and had more with my less-than-favourite, I wasn’t as motivated even though they were paying me more. Then, I got a bit of work in from my faves and BAM, I’m all kinds of motivated again and worked harder on my not-so-faves.

We’re funny creatures, us humans, and we need all sorts of things to keep us interested, I’m enjoying hearing about what works for others.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.