Home – New Forums Tell me straight… How do you know when to throw the baby out with the bathwater?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    tbgs
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

My husband and I bought a general store in a small fishing village 3.5years ago. We are the only store in town. When we purchased the store population was probably 480 people however a large number of workers occupied the down due to road work projects and very high rental prices in the closest regional centre (80km away). My passion was to introduce takeway, home cooked food, nothing extravagant rotisserie chickens, fish and chips, lasagna etc. Things were great at the start, never had high volume but enough for me to offer variety but then came down turn in industry and off the workers went. Now we offer BBQ chickens on Saturdays only and offer fish and chips 10 to 1pm on weekends. We only cook 10 chickens and often the whole weekend we might do 2 serves of fried food BUT come school holidays etc to up take is better but we still don’t get volume and we would not do more that 10 serves of fried food on any one day. My business head says for goodness sake what are you doing and then my sense of giving the community and the random visitors something a little nice in a community where there is nothing and my love of cooking kicks in and I don’t want to give in. Can someone give me some straight shooting words to let me see through the clouds please.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Welcome aboard Allison!

I would try to remove the guesswork by asking the people what they want. Maybe Friday is take-away day for everyone, maybe you could do home-delivered meals weekdays, but work together with the people so you never have to guess.

See if people want to sign up for a set order on a weekly basis. That would be ideal because you know what you’re cooking in advance with no waste. In fact if you move to pre-orders and regular orders only, that gives people a good incentive to get on board with the concept.

Good luck!

Dave

roxanne40
    • Total posts: 82
    Up

I have been in business for 25 years and one thing that I have learnt in business is to make financial decisions with your head not your heart.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi Allison,

I like Dave’s idea and would add that you have to start from the start.

And the start is to do some calculations. What are your expenses at the moment and what is your revenue?

Also, work out what your break even point is ie, a forecast of how many servings you would need to sell to break even.

With your calculations, you can start making decisions eg, if you work out that you are losing money by cooking 10 chickens but wouldn’t lose money by cooking 5, then cook 5.

Combined with Dave’s list idea, there might be a way forward.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.