Home – New Forums Get productive How do you reward yourself?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    newbi
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hi there,

I am putting together a Strategic Plan for my business and have identified 5 milestones to help me achieve it.

I have read that at the achievement of each milestone it is worth “rewarding yourself” in some way. Not something that is typically prioritised when one works for themselves!

So my questions is, how do you reward yourself? New technology? Investment in professional development? New wardrobe? Or something really indulgent? Or do you just take comfort in knowing your business is growing?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Hobidi Bob
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

Hey newbi,

my wife and I started a business 6 months ago. The few milestones we have accomplished so far have been celebrated by the following.

Starting the business- we recognise the start of a better life for us and over a glass of wine and a beer we congratulated one another.

Our 1st job that we didnt personally work in (employee)- we went out for lunch.

First turnover goal- I bought my wife a new outfit.

Second turnover goal- (completed last month) we will be celebrating next week by going out for dinner.

Third turnover goal- (on target for this month) we want to take our employees out for drinks to say thank you and celebrate.

Obviously my goals are different to the next business owner and they may also be structured differently. I am sure that when we are hitting goals of multi million $ turnover, we might go a little more “adventurous”. but for now we are happy celebrating with dinner.

Good luck with your future goals and maybe you could share your ideas.

ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    Up

#1: Feel rewarded.

My fiance taught me that not everyone actually feels rewarded when they reward themselves. It can be materialistic, or a day off, or what have you, but do you actually feel the sense of achievement?

Example:

I walk every morning. It is now a habit, and I started small and grew it over time. Every time I walk in the door I see myself in the hall cupboard mirror, and I strike an “I’M AWESOME” pose. Think of it as ‘Rocky-fying’, fists pumping, feeling strong, and looking at myself directly in the eyes in a moment I feel amazing, and proud.

This helps to cement the true nature of feeling rewarded, that when you reward yourself you will get the emotional pleasure, which is what we really crave.

Opposite example:

My fiance will work towards achieving a goal, and has a constant narrative in his head he’s not good enough, he can’t do it, it’s too hard. When he DOES achieve it, does he feel it? Nope. He actually caught himself in the middle of the moment of achievement telling himself it was not good enough. Not even in the very single moment we are allowed to have our achievements do we have them. He was already 3 hours ahead, guilt tripping himself about something new, a new expectation, some new height he hasn’t reached.

Anyway, I just wanted to add that in, because it’s something I realised only recent :D

No Limits
    • Total posts: 44
    Up

I buy houses and develop property.
    This is a win win because I like property investing and developing and am making money from it at the same time.
    It’s like making money from your hobby, couldn’t be better.

AngusP
    • Total posts: 53
    Up

I set daily goals and put a dollar into my ‘joy jar’ every day I achieve them. At the end of the month (there’s extra dollars for completing weekly goals), I’ll go and spend it on something just for me.

Different examples have included hiring a Mercedes for 24 hours, and getting a massage. Positive associations with achieving goals are really important.

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.