Home – New Forums Marketing mastery How do you social media?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    SavvySME
    • Total posts: 201
    Up
    ::

As small businesses, we don’t have the luxury of hiring consultants that cost 100’s of dollars to learn social. So how did you do it? Are there any online courses that you used or did you just jump into it.

For those that jumped into it, would you do it differently and had some training prior to doing it again?

Mrs Fox
    • Total posts: 81
    Up
    SavvySME, post: 128764 wrote:
    As small businesses, we don’t have the luxury of hiring consultants that cost 100’s of dollars to learn social. So how did you do it? Are there any online courses that you used or did you just jump into it.

For those that jumped into it, would you do it differently and had some training prior to doing it again?

Social media marketing is very practical and easy to learn. You can use social media analytic tools to easily track conversations, identify leads and identify patterns in network connections. Ex Followerwonk,Klout, Peerindex

Snakeman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

Social media in the real world of business currently means facebook.
    This site alone eclipses the rest combined.
    However I hate to say this but when it comes to buyers of products, most of them use “Google” to shop.
    All the best

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

Be yourself. Be professional. Don’t be all about selling. Help others where possible. Social media is really that simple.

SavvySME
    Up

More interested in how you go about learning and getting started vs. the practical application :) Thanks for the responses so far though!

tonyk
    Up
    SavvySME, post: 128802 wrote:
    More interested in how you go about learning and getting started vs. the practical application :) Thanks for the responses so far though!

It is pretty simple. Just sign up and start interacting with people in industries similar to yours.

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up
    Snakeman, post: 128784 wrote:
    However I hate to say this but when it comes to buyers of products, most of them use “Google” to shop.
    All the best

I disagree. Depending on the type of business (B2B vs B2C, local vs national/international, etc.) Twitter and LinkedIn can be more effective than Facebook. Personally, I’ve found most success with Twitter, followed by LinkedIn.

As for Facebook, I go hot and cold on it. I’m utilising a page again, but only because I’ve joined a local networking group and I find that Facebook works really well for local business, where previously it was a complete waste of time for me.

I agree that most people do indeed Google, but social media (done the right way) can help build your network and credibility which, in turn, leads to a steady stream of new clients.

bridiej
    • Total posts: 1,097
    Up
    SavvySME, post: 128802 wrote:

For me it was trial and error, read as many blogs/articles/ebooks as I could on the subject, follow successful social media users and pick up tips from what they were doing, and trial and error!

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up

Hi Wendy

ALL media is social.

I opted into your database and you haven’t sent anything to me… that’s not very social :) sorry to be blunt

I agree with Bridiej that there is more to media (social) than Facebook.

tonyk
    Up
    Snakeman, post: 128784 wrote:
    All the best

Twitter is much more effective in my opinion.

SavvySME
    Up

Hi Warren,

Apologies we haven’t sent you anything but you will be receiving something in a 2 weeks. We respect the inbox’s of people we sign up and unless we have something valuable to say, we’d rather not waste your time. Needless to say we are coming close to launch (the date has been pushed back a lot hence why the long interim of silence) so you’ll be receiving a heads up and some information when the time comes.

Thanks for signing up and supporting us! Of course, I’m happy to send you more emails if you wish :)

Warren Cottis, post: 128840 wrote:
    Hi Wendy

ALL media is social.

I opted into your database and you haven’t sent anything to me… that’s not very social :) sorry to be blunt

I agree with Bridiej that there is more to media (social) than Facebook.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

It’s not that hard to learn social media. Just a few pointers, don’t just focus on selling, you also must participate and give information to your friends or circles.

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

I invested about $200 in a 3 day local workshop and it was probably the best $200 I’ve spent on my business. I got to learn not just about social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.), but also about the Google suite of tools, which are INCREDIBLY helpful to my business.

I also believe if I hadn’t undertaken the course it would have taken me MUCH longer to understand how everything fit together and to start seeing the returns on my time and money (about 70-80% of my converted leads come through social media, probably only 4-5% directly through my website/Google and the rest through referrals and workshops).

That said, there is plenty of fantastic information freely available on the net… but sometimes it can be hard to know what is right, or wrong, or whether you have the whole picture.

It’s also good to try the main three platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) for at least 3-5 months to get an idea of which one/s will be the best fit for your business. Generally it will come down to which one you spend the most time in, but it takes a while to figure out which one this will be and what you feel the most comfortable using.

I’d suggest you start following some accounts/people to see which ones seem to work well, which ones you enjoy spending time on and which ones you don’t. Think about what the ones you like do well (eg. lots of informative info, high levels of engagement, a bit of fun, etc.) and what the ones you don’t like are doing (eg. never interact, repeating the same posts over and over, only ever flogging their products/services, etc.) and use that as a starting point for your own strategy.

All the best,
    Anna

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.