Home – New Forums Marketing mastery How do you stand out in the industry? ….What is your Unique Selling Proposition?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    FionaFell
    • Total posts: 342
    Up
    ::

Hi,

As a relatively new entrant into the web hosting marketplace I was wondering how the members here differentiated themselves from the ‘others’, globally, nationally, or locally.

What is your Unique Selling Proposition?

Why do you customers choose you over your competitors?

Do you use your USP (unique Selling Proposition) in your marketing/tagline?

Some insight from the forum members here about ‘standing out’ would be great as I have been having trouble seeing any one business who declares themselves to be ‘different’ in the hosting market place.

(Plus I don’t want to end up competing on price for clients.)

Cheers, Fiona

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Re: How do you stand out in the industry? ….What is your Unique Selling Proposition

Be DIFFERENT

USP that you are so different to the others in your industry that they start to look to you for fresh innovative ideas so they can follow.

another is to have been in the industry longer than most that they look to you for experience, you are looked upon as being a Guru

its a nice compiment but one that has to be erned.

FinanceMan
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Re: How do you stand out in the industry? ….What is your Unique Selling Proposition

My USP is very simple. I offer widely used products (managed investments, superannuation funds, personal insurance and margin loans) for lower cost than people can get anywhere else. The issue for me is not providing the product, but explaining how this is possible. Easy in person, difficult in advertising and on the Internet without boring them.

FionaFell
    Up

Thanks for your feedback.

I think I need to stretch myself outside of the box, and outside of the technical skills I have and become something DIFFERENT.

Hugh Thyer
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

The question is, Fiona

Why should I do business with you instead of your competitors?

Imagine I’ve got money to spend and its a choice betwen you and a some other businesses. What are you going to say to me that’s going to make me do business with you?

Fluidx
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Hi Fiona,

Web designers are a dime a dozen. The way we stand out from other web design companies is by:

Designs: over the years we’ve developed a certain style to our websites that. This is only due to having a team of designers that have grown with the business over time.

Support: customer care is very important. We get alot of feedback from clients about web designers they’ve worked with before and how they were not accessible and wouldn’t get back to them in a timely matter. We stick witht eh client from start to finish.

Consultations: we offer every client a free short business consultation when they sign up with us. Our clients are small businesses and most are just starting so we like to discuss with them what options they have for their business as a whole and how to incorporate the websites in their overall strategy.

Genuine: I find that rarely you come across companies that genuinely want to help. Most business want to sell and its obvious in the quotes they send clients with costs for services that aren’t required. We actually want to help because Fluidx Basics is a division of our parenting company. The sole purposes of FB is to support small business.

But I truely feel that if you believe in your product and in your business that you will succeed because you can’t sell something that you don’t believe in and wouldn’t use yourself.

Regards,
    Carlo Kasparian

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up

I was the fan of the USP for 4 years … but now … I’m so OFF USP’s – because everyone gets stuck on the “unique” bit – which isn’t what’s actually important …

So instead, I’m ON UVPs – Unique Value Propositions – because once you’ve figured out the VALUE you provide, then you instantly become unique …

Here’s mine:

If you are a speaker or business coach turning over $500k-$1Million a year and are currently working 60+ hours a week, Business Writers Anonymous can create an information product for you that will add $100k / year to your bottom line while allowing you to work 10 hours a week less – we’ll even give you everything you need to see ROI in under 8 weeks.

Because I’ve focused on the value, instead of the unique, it’s become unique …

We’ve been doing workshops on this at our Bootcamp Previews and people are having HUGE breakthroughs – people have told me it’s revolutionising the way they do business … it’s incredible to watch!

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up

I agree with Leela.

The answer is for a business owners to tailor the value proposition specifically for each unique group of people who interacts with the business rather than the one shoe fits all approach of the “unique selling proposition” concept.

They will be prospects, customers, suppliers and employees for starters…

FionaFell
    Up

Thank you everyone.

I will take a very close look at exactly what I offer my clients, not only in regard to features but in relation to the consequential benefits and value delivered as a result. (Or go back to the drawing/editting board and add in extra value)

Thanks again for the insight into your businesses, feedback is always welcome.

Cheers, Fiona

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Definitely put up a landing page for burgerhosting.com.au.

gogoebsilk
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

To be different is first.Just as we are an online wholesaler, there are many competetors you know. However we win our customers by frequent discounts and coupons,and sell our products at a very low price. In fact,we profit from selling more,and it worked very well.Many customers give us high comments.

BrightSpark
    • Total posts: 131
    Up

One of the simplest suggestions I have is “What problems do you solve with the best result for the customer”. Can you solve their problems faster, better, more long term, easier or whatever than the other businesses?

Remember the bigger the problems you solve the bigger the reward.

Abby Eagle
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

FionaFell, post: 10678 wrote:
    Hi,

What is your Unique Selling Proposition?

Why do you customers choose you over your competitors?

Do you use your USP (unique Selling Proposition) in your marketing/tagline?

Cheers, Fiona

Hi Fioana,

I run a meditation school on the Gold Coast. One of the challenges with meditation is that there are hundreds if not thousands of competitors who offer their services for free. Some meditation groups have been around a long time or they have affiliated themselves with sources of funding, and in some cases have the resources to run extensive marketing campaigns. In a way this could be the case with anyone who starts a new business.

My unique competitive advantage is that, “I combine NLP and hypnosis with Osho Zen Meditation.” Many meditation techniques belong to the era of the bullock cart, two and half thousand years ago. By using NLP to model the language patterns and the meditation techniques of old I have developed a style of meditation that means the average person can achieve understandings, learnings and states of meditation that could have taken decades to learn by trial and error.

I am also an old Osho Sannyasin – which is about neo-Zen – not techiques for a past era, but for modern man and woman. Not techniques that rely upon dogma, doctrine, beliefs and scriptures but techniques that can be utilised by people of any religion and walk of life. Hence one learns to write one’s on scripture on one’s own being.

I am not sure why my customers choose me over my competitors. Very difficult to find out the answer to that question. I think it has something to do with what i wrote above.

Sometimes i use my UCA in the tagline… it’s a bit long… but i always use it in the description of my business. And i just keep on repeating it over and over again. And i think that it helps to have been in this field for over two decades.

Kind regards

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.