Home – New Forums Tech talk How do you use social media for business?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    OliviaY
    • Total posts: 13
    Up
    ::
    Khalid Adam, post: 106707 wrote:
    i know im a bit hypocritical here but if you want to use social media for business, then you need to start connecting and engaging your audience with what interests THEM before you talk business. (“you” marketing – and failing)

The biggest mistake you can make is to promote your own product (unless you are offering give aways or free trials) on social media and talk about your office, etc (“me” marketing”)

Show the human side of your business. In most cases, business is done (on a handshake) in a social setting after talking about everything but business. (“we” marketing)

This is my experience and anyway and no, i dont use social media to actively attract clients. I’m too lazy to start my own blog :)

Thanks for your advice. Show the human side of a business is the best advice I’ve ever received.
    Most times we are so focused in doing business that we tend to forget that what people are truly looking for: They are actually looking for people who really care about their customers. People who deal with people, not machines.
    I’ll start applying your idea and I’ll make it more personal but without missing the target, thanks!
    Regards,
    :)

OliviaY
    • Total posts: 13
    Up
    Khalid Adam, post: 106707 wrote:
    i know im a bit hypocritical here but if you want to use social media for business, then you need to start connecting and engaging your audience with what interests THEM before you talk business. (“you” marketing – and failing)

The biggest mistake you can make is to promote your own product (unless you are offering give aways or free trials) on social media and talk about your office, etc (“me” marketing”)

Show the human side of your business. In most cases, business is done (on a handshake) in a social setting after talking about everything but business. (“we” marketing)

This is my experience and anyway and no, i dont use social media to actively attract clients. I’m too lazy to start my own blog :)

Thanks for your advice. Show the human side of a business is the best advice I’ve ever received.
    Most times we are so focused in doing business that we tend to forget that what people are truly looking for: They are actually looking for people who really care about their customers. People who deal with people, not machines.
    I’ll start applying your idea and I’ll make it more personal but without missing the target, thanks!
    Regards,

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

Just dont’ be too social otherwise you end up with friends instead of clients. The trick is balance.

Before you even do this, have you figured out what % of your target market actually use social media for business? and how much extra business can you realistically get via social media?

MY point is chances are that you can squeeze more ROI from your existing marketing activities instead of chasing shiny objects like websites, blogs, social media, etc.

there is a consulting business that gets fortune 500 clients and they dont even have a website.

They use white papers, magazine articles and seminars to promote themselves.

OliviaY, post: 111857 wrote:
    Regards,
    Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

Just dont’ be too social otherwise you end up with friends instead of clients. The trick is balance.

Before you even do this, have you figured out what % of your target market actually use social media for business? and how much extra business can you realistically get via social media?

MY point is chances are that you can squeeze more ROI from your existing marketing activities instead of chasing shiny objects like websites, blogs, social media, etc.

there is a consulting business that gets fortune 500 clients and they dont even have a website.

They use white papers, magazine articles and seminars to promote themselves.

OliviaY, post: 111857 wrote:
    Regards,
    [email protected]
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Re: A warning: Do not sign up for Laura Roeder newsletter

Hi Mel and Khalid,

This is Stacey, I handle customer relations for LKR (Laura Roeder’s company).

I saw this thread and wanted to assure you that we never have and never will sell email addresses. That’s a promise! :)

Mel, I’m so sorry you’ve been receiving lots of spam emails. I know how annoying that can be. I hope there’s an end to the spam soon!

I just had to share – I wouldn’t want you to miss out on our newsletter The Dash in fear that we’d sell your email address (NEVER!) :)

All the best,
    Stacey

Stacey Raymond
    Client Relations
    [email protected]
    http://www.LauraRoeder.com

Our business hours are 9-6 Pacific, Monday – Friday
    Make your web presence rock (for free!) http://www.GetTheDash.com

[email protected]
    Up

Re: A warning: Do not sign up for Laura Roeder newsletter

Hi Mel and Khalid,

This is Stacey, I handle customer relations for LKR (Laura Roeder’s company).

I saw this thread and wanted to assure you that we never have and never will sell email addresses. That’s a promise! :)

Mel, I’m so sorry you’ve been receiving lots of spam emails. I know how annoying that can be. I hope there’s an end to the spam soon!

I just had to share – I wouldn’t want you to miss out on our newsletter The Dash in fear that we’d sell your email address (NEVER!) :)

All the best,
    Stacey

Stacey Raymond
    Client Relations
    [email protected]
    http://www.LauraRoeder.com

Our business hours are 9-6 Pacific, Monday – Friday
    Make your web presence rock (for free!) http://www.GetTheDash.com

Shane Walker
    • Total posts: 129
    Up

Hi Olivia! It’s Shane Walker here.

One thing that tends to frustrate me a little bit with a lot of forums is that people say things like you should be doing a Twitter account, a Facebook account, and etc… With all these suggestions, no one really goes into the fact of advising you to check the market to see if your potential customers are actually hanging out in that market.

There is no point in starting a Facebook page unless you have done your research to show the people that want to know about your product are there and if these people have a propensity to spend money on your product. Just because other people have gain success in social media does not necessarily mean that it is going to work for you.

If you have done your research and you find that it is the correct channel for you, the best thing to do about social media is to build a tribe or an audience by providing useful information on your products or services category. So for instance, if you are selling dog grooming equipment, you must have a lot of articles about dogs, dog shows, or things that have benefit for the people.

Do not continually bombard them with lots of pitching because this will only turn off your audience and they will not bother to listen to you anymore. The reason people come to social media is they find out information and engage. It is best to pitch in between but don’t make it as though it’s a continual pitch fest or you will lose your visitors

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Shane Walker
    • Total posts: 129
    Up

Hi Olivia! It’s Shane Walker here.

One thing that tends to frustrate me a little bit with a lot of forums is that people say things like you should be doing a Twitter account, a Facebook account, and etc… With all these suggestions, no one really goes into the fact of advising you to check the market to see if your potential customers are actually hanging out in that market.

There is no point in starting a Facebook page unless you have done your research to show the people that want to know about your product are there and if these people have a propensity to spend money on your product. Just because other people have gain success in social media does not necessarily mean that it is going to work for you.

If you have done your research and you find that it is the correct channel for you, the best thing to do about social media is to build a tribe or an audience by providing useful information on your products or services category. So for instance, if you are selling dog grooming equipment, you must have a lot of articles about dogs, dog shows, or things that have benefit for the people.

Do not continually bombard them with lots of pitching because this will only turn off your audience and they will not bother to listen to you anymore. The reason people come to social media is they find out information and engage. It is best to pitch in between but don’t make it as though it’s a continual pitch fest or you will lose your visitors

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Warrenjc
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

Word of mouth is king as most here would agree.

An often overlooked technique is to create a facebook feed for your website, and INCENTIVISE your existing clientele to use it.

It could be a simple as knocking off a couple of bucks on your ticket item if they use your feed to leave a positive feedback for your service.

I have seen some stats that stated that on average, facebook users have a couple of hundred friends each.

Just an idea.

Cheers

Warren

Warrenjc
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

An often overlooked technique is to create a facebook feed for your website, and INCENTIVISE your existing clientele to use it.

It could be a simple as knocking off a couple of bucks on your ticket item if they use your feed to leave a positive feedback for your service.

I have seen some stats that stated that on average, facebook users have a couple of hundred friends each.

Just an idea.

Cheers

Warren

SavvySME
    • Total posts: 201
    Up

Anyone telling you to get social accounts without finding about your business is already a warning sign. Social media is a huge time sucker, so enter with care.
    You can read more about “social creep” in my article here:
    http://www.dynamicbusiness.com.au/blogs/too-busy-for-facebook-3-tips-to-end-social-creep-24072012.html

Otherwise make sure that you understand your target market before you start creating social accounts here and there. an inactive social account can actually do more harm than good for your company image. I think if you take the advice of all the posts above you get a pretty good answer to your question :)

SavvySME
    • Total posts: 201
    Up

Anyone telling you to get social accounts without finding about your business is already a warning sign. Social media is a huge time sucker, so enter with care.
    You can read more about “social creep” in my article here:
    http://www.dynamicbusiness.com.au/blogs/too-busy-for-facebook-3-tips-to-end-social-creep-24072012.html

Otherwise make sure that you understand your target market before you start creating social accounts here and there. an inactive social account can actually do more harm than good for your company image. I think if you take the advice of all the posts above you get a pretty good answer to your question :)

Ethan Samuel
    Up

I am using iPad to maintain my business facebook account. I post new products images and information on facebook to promote in audience.

Ethan Samuel
    Up

I am using iPad to maintain my business facebook account. I post new products images and information on facebook to promote in audience.

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

I’ve found that the trick to any advertising channel (and yes, Social Media is now a standard advertising channel) is to ensure it’s kept consistent with the rest of your marketing.

Your clients should be able to have your website open, a copy of your flyer and business card in their hand and your social media accounts on another tab and instantly be able to see the similarities between the two.

Warrenjc, post: 125636 wrote:
    You are correct – but what a lot of people don’t understand about word of mouth is that the focal point of some advertisements is to increase the word of mouth window. I recently read a report saying that your more likely to get a word of mouth referral either when you are actively working for that client or only finished a few weeks ago. After that, you start to become a memory.

That is why social media, direct mail, vehicle signage any so many other forms of advertising are A LOT more effective with existing markets, because they remind them of your business and to refer you along.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.