Home – New Forums Selling online How does international shipping work?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Stitches
    • Total posts: 13
    Up
    ::

hi all
    Very new here….setting up an online store, have only sold on Ebay within Australia so far. So to offer to sell internationally…. Where can I sell? How do I work out postage? Do I need special insurance?
    Am selling sewing and craft supplies.
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

Hello Stitches,

You can sell overseas where ever you want to really. Sewing and craft supplies in general would not require any special licence and are not dangerous goods. You can ship to any country via Australia Post. The issue for you will be the cost of sending overseas. For example a 500g package to the UK by Air will be about $18.00. You can check prices at the Aust Post International Calculator.

If you have unique products then shipping cost may not be an issue.

You can exclude GST on your overseas sales if the buyer is overseas but you should seek advice from your accountant to confirm this for your business.

Most online shop software available in Australia will integrate with the Australia Post calculator for determining cost of shipping. The shop should also be able to determine tax and shipping options based on the delivery country.

Australia Post offer insurance but it will increase the price of the shipping. So I would say that it is a business decision based on the value of the items that you are shipping.

Regards

John

Stitches
    Up

Thanks so much John for your response, it’s extremely helpful and much appreciated!
    Marlene

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Not answering your question directly, but picking up on Johns point that postage is expensive, it is surprising that some people will pay it. I have sent a few items overseas which have only being worth between $12.50 and $30.00, where the postage came to anything up to $40 plus dollars (I never send without tracking).

I suppose all I am saying is don’t let the cost of postage deter you, some people will pay.

Stitches
    Up

Thanks Bert, that’s really helpful. Will definitely give it a go!

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    bb1, post: 220780, member: 53375 wrote:
    Not answering your question directly, but picking up on Johns point that postage is expensive, it is surprising that some people will pay it. I have sent a few items overseas which have only being worth between $12.50 and $30.00, where the postage came to anything up to $40 plus dollars (I never send without tracking).

I suppose all I am saying is don’t let the cost of postage deter you, some people will pay.

This is an awesome adage, one that is and should be applied to many verses in our day to day business activities.. Its goes hand in hand with not placing barriers or your own limits or perceptions onto those of your customers.

We never know, truly never know, what our clients or customers are thinking. What they are willing to pay or not pay, for product or postage. If you open the door and expose yourself (oops product or service) to someone dont put a limit on what they may be willing to spend’. I too ship a few, maybe 15-25, parcels a week overseas and although they are small items are heavy and the people wanting my items are happy to pay – well maybe not happy, although it is factored into the total price they are willing to outlay of which i do not interfere with their budgeting..

Wishing you luck

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Tracy UK
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Depending on values and what you are selling, it could help your sales when wanting to sell overseas to use an overseas 3pl/fulfilment company.

Trent Tran
    Participant
    • Total posts: 166
    Up

If the items are low in margin, give your customer the options: fast (Australia Post) or slow (Skippy Post), both will provide with tracking

Skippy Post takes longer to arrive but it is more economical. Here is how it works:

Your items –> Skippy Post Depot in Australia —-> Singapore Parcel/ Mail Centre –> Your customers.

I am too a customer who enjoy online shopping. I bought several items from Singapore, recently, an item of 300g for $7.00 postage, cheaper than domestic parcel $7.45 in Australia.

If you give them a choice and as long as tracking provided, you would be protected by Paypal anyway. Peace in mind

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.