Home – New Forums Selling online How does Magento work with Aus Post

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Neddywear
    • Total posts: 15
    Up
    ::

We are looking at some different options for our new website. One of the options is with magento. Can someone who is using this please give me a bit of info on how it works with aus post?

I am finding it hard to find what I want to know.

In our ebay store, we can do the postage from there, select the postage we want to use, print out labels etc, would it be similar to that?

We have some large items which we send in a flat rate box, so if someone buys 1, 2, or 3 etc of these items, they all need to go in their own box. I don’t want the postage to be calculated on the entire order then we would need to wrap the order or have bigger boxes etc which wouldn’t be suitable.

Then we also have smaller items, that are sent in a smaller flat rate box/satchel but these can have combined postage if more than one is purchased.

Would we be able to set up the postage this way ie different products have different postage rules, not just everything flat rate or everything calculated on weight?

I really want to make sure what we get is going to do exactly what we need.

I’m sure the auspost would calculate the shipping accurately, we have a good system now of packing things in certain size boxes and satchels, I just want to make sure that we are still going to be able to do things same.

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    Neddywear, post: 192542 wrote:
    We are looking at some different options for our new website. One of the options is with magento. Can someone who is using this please give me a bit of info on how it works with aus post?

I am finding it hard to find what I want to know.

In our ebay store, we can do the postage from there, select the postage we want to use, print out labels etc, would it be similar to that?

We have some large items which we send in a flat rate box, so if someone buys 1, 2, or 3 etc of these items, they all need to go in their own box. I don’t want the postage to be calculated on the entire order then we would need to wrap the order or have bigger boxes etc which wouldn’t be suitable.

Then we also have smaller items, that are sent in a smaller flat rate box/satchel but these can have combined postage if more than one is purchased.

Would we be able to set up the postage this way ie different products have different postage rules, not just everything flat rate or everything calculated on weight?

I really want to make sure what we get is going to do exactly what we need.

I’m sure the auspost would calculate the shipping accurately, we have a good system now of packing things in certain size boxes and satchels, I just want to make sure that we are still going to be able to do things same.

Magento has some pretty good Aust Post calculator options available so you could use it to do what you want.

However why Magento?

What is your business profile?

Number of SKUs, number of orders, size of the business? How technically competent are you or are you using a Magento developer?

If you have a eBay shop then you want a solution that will connect seamlessly with eBay. Magento has an add-on that you can use but there are other better and simpler solutions.

With Magento you have chosen what would be the most technically challenging solution to implement and specially with eBay.

John

Neddywear
    Up

Thanks very much for the reply.

Magento is just one option we are looking at. We are not building the site ourselves but will use a developer, magento was the cart one suggested. We are currently going through all options and seeing what will work best.

I find the postage quite confusing (i would have loved just to redesign our current site but as there are very limited postage options we need to start again from scratch) so that is one of the first things I want to know … I don’t want to spend money on something that isn’t going to be right for us.

What other options do you think would work better with ebay. If it could be integrated with ebay that would be ideal.

But would we need to redo all our listings?

We don’t want them to appear on our website how they are on ebay (more just integrated in the background to manage stock control if that would be possible).

John Debrincat
    Up
    Neddywear, post: 192545 wrote:
    Thanks very much for the reply.

Magento is just one option we are looking at. We are not building the site ourselves but will use a developer, magento was the cart one suggested. We are currently going through all options and seeing what will work best.

I find the postage quite confusing (i would have loved just to redesign our current site but as there are very limited postage options we need to start again from scratch) so that is one of the first things I want to know … I don’t want to spend money on something that isn’t going to be right for us.

What other options do you think would work better with ebay. If it could be integrated with ebay that would be ideal.

But would we need to redo all our listings?

We don’t want them to appear on our website how they are on ebay (more just integrated in the background to manage stock control if that would be possible).

What is the current website?

Most eBay integration pushes the listings from the online store to eBay. So you would replace the current listings over time with new listings. Yes there are some SEO issue with eBay listings that have good SEO in that you have to get that back.

The benefit of course is that once that is done you are running the business of one inventory and you can reduce the maintenance effort.

No the eBay listings do not have to look the same as the store or visa versa. Each can have a unique look and feel.

In terms of solutions as I said there are a few like Channel Advisor, Neto, Australia Post My Online Shop, our own solution at eCorner all have eBay integration as standard.

Then you have Magento with add-ons like M2E Pro.

Most modern eCommerce software will have an add-on or extension for eBay some work OK and some not so.

Regards

John

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    Neddywear, post: 192542 wrote:

Not really, in ebay you tend to put a shipping cost against each individual item. In an e-commerce site you have to be able to put a shipping cost against multiple products at once, in case a person is purchasing multiple items.

If you’re using an Aus Post plugin, it’s probably based on weight and/or dimensions of the products. The accuracy is dependant upon the correct data for these items.
    The actual post may vary if your product is a slightly different weight or doesn’t fit into a particular box.

Neddywear
    Up

John D – when you said magento is the most technically challenging to implement, did you mean the initial set up?

As we are getting a developer to do the site that doesn’t bother me. But we do want something that is simple to use on a daily basis.

Neddywear
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 192558 wrote:
    Not really, in ebay you tend to put a shipping cost against each individual item. In an e-commerce site you have to be able to put a shipping cost against multiple products at once, in case a person is purchasing multiple items.

If you’re using an Aus Post plugin, it’s probably based on weight and/or dimensions of the products. The accuracy is dependant upon the correct data for these items.
    The actual post may vary if your product is a slightly different weight or doesn’t fit into a particular box.

Yes I realize it will be a different set up to ebay. But we will do it all from within the magento site is that correct?

Or would we need to export a csv file??

Neddywear
    Up

Obviously this is all stuff I will discuss with our developer, but I like to have bit of an idea about everything first.

John Debrincat
    Up
    Neddywear, post: 192581 wrote:
    John D – when you said magento is the most technically challenging to implement, did you mean the initial set up?

As we are getting a developer to do the site that doesn’t bother me. But we do want something that is simple to use on a daily basis.

Magento is a very complete and very complex ecommerce platform. It comes in an open source version that has limited functionality (compared to the other versions) and no support. There is also a couple of different licenced versions that can be pretty expensive.

Now I am assuming that your are going to be using Magento CE (open source).

Implementing Magento, like all open source software, will generally require a knowledge of the software and how it works. Fortunately there are few developers in Australia that really understand Magento but they are also pretty expensive so often the developer used is not a certified Magento company. So there are a lot of failed implementations.

The initial implementation (or setup) for CE generally also means that you have to select and implement a number of add-ons to achieve the functionality that you need. For example Australia Post calculator will be an add-on. The add-ons are generally written to a specific version of the software and some (if badly developed) won’t work with future versions. So small businesses using Magento get stuck in a situation where the software that they use goes out of date, is not regularly maintained and becomes susceptible to vulnerabilities.

Magento also needs a lot of resources to run well. The regular problem that we hear is that a business has implemented Magento in a shared hosting environment and then it runs slowly. Magento even relatively small implementations need a VPS that is optimised for Magento. Even then if not installed by a Magento experienced person it will run poorly.

Once implemented you will always need a Magento developer and that is where the crunch comes. Often we hear that a small business got a developer off Freelancer or similar, got the site up and running. Then went to get changes made and no one will touch it.

How simple to use on a daily basis will be a factor of how well it was implemented in the first place, what add-ons were installed, what theme was used, the developers knowledge and your own skills.

There are some great websites build on Magento and it is a well rounded solution but in my opinion not for a small business.

Now I don’t really know how big you are, what skills or what budget so I am assuming you fall into the small business category.

Check out some of the posts on Whirlpool about Magento it is also a good source of information.

Good luck

John

Neddywear
    Up

Thankyou for taking the time to reply to all my questions.

We are definitely only a very small business.

It seems the more the I put into researching and asking questions, the more inadequate I feel to make the right decision as to who to get to do our site!

John Debrincat
    Up
    Neddywear, post: 192595 wrote:
    Thankyou for taking the time to reply to all my questions.

We are definitely only a very small business.

It seems the more the I put into researching and asking questions, the more inadequate I feel to make the right decision as to who to get to do our site!

Yep can be a mine field.

If you are going down the path of using a developer or agency then follow a few basic rules:

1. Write down all your requirements and have them reviewed the more detail the better.
    2. Work out how much you want to spend and remember that you will need about 50% of the original spend each year for maintenance – there is always a compromise between the requirements and the cost.
    3. Remember that performance and usability should be requirements
    4. Get at least 3 separate quotes
    5. Get contacts and business references for each (maybe 2 or 3) and speak to them. Have some prepared questions.
    6. Once you decide on a developer get an agreement (fixed price if possible) with split payments aim for 25% upfront – 50% paid on milestones – 25% on handover (go live).
    7. Get a fixed delivery time frame – it will probably slip but get it anyway
    8. Make sure that you have an agreement that documents a warranty period (bug fixes) and get some fixed hourly rates for extra work.
    9. Find out who organises the hosting and make sure you have access to all control panels, servers etc (you may not use them but it is a safety net).
    10. Make sure you own IP.
    11. Make sure you have control over email and domain (meaning access passwords etc) again you may not use them but it is a safety net
    12. Work with a company in your own time zone, try to get face to face and be able to talk to a real person.

That’s my quick dump might have missed some stuff. We do all the above for our clients so if your developer pushes back look elsewhere. And no we do not do Magento if you were going to ask.

John

JohnTranter
    Up
    Neddywear, post: 192582 wrote:
    Yes I realize it will be a different set up to ebay. But we will do it all from within the magento site is that correct?

Hey Ned,

If you’re asking what I think you’re asking, the short answer is ‘no’, you won’t be able to do everything from within Magento. (If you’re looking for a solution that integrates with Australia Post enough so that you can print off labels then it won’t do that.)

There are 3rd party services you can integrate with though.

Neddywear
    Up

So what do people do, I notice click and send has an import csv option, is that the fast way to do it?

We do our web orders by hand currently ( so manually get the customer info and type it in to click and send). But this is time consuming, I thought surely there would be an easier way.

So do the aus post add ons simply calculate postage? We use all flat rate satchels/boxes so do we even need an add on, or can you usually just put flat rates in and set weights for each product for example?

JohnTranter
    Up
    Neddywear, post: 192622 wrote:
    So what do people do, I notice click and send has an import csv option, is that the fast way to do it?
    Sure you could use the csv option, you may need your developer to configure the csv export in Magento however. I’ve done something similar for an IFS system with an existing client and it’s not a big problem.

The other options in Australia are pretty bad in my opinion, ReadyToShip.com.au is supposed to integrate with magento. I tested it and it works, but my client wasn’t impressed with the support so we never implemented it.

Neddywear, post: 192622 wrote:
    We use all flat rate satchels/boxes so do we even need an add on, or can you usually just put flat rates in and set weights for each product for example?

Yep, these plugins simply calculate postage. If you have a set rate, you can use table rates (postage based on weight) or a flat fee per item.
    Webmatrix sells a great addon that allows you to set shipping rates by category of products
    (e.g. Fridges are $100 to Australia, dvds are $5 to Australia etc.)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.