Home – New Forums Tech talk How does your website view on a smartphone?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up
    ::

Here’s a cool tool to let you know. http://www.howtogomo.com/au/d/test-your-site/

The two sites that matter most to me show up well – I was both surprised and pleased. It might have something to do with the software I use for my sites perhaps.

spinninghill
    • Total posts: 345
    Up

We have apps soon to be launched and our site is semi friendly, but i do think we need a web app or similar as well so that a scaled back version of our site is available to smart phone users in a fully-friendly fashion.

Neat website, thanks for the share.

adrian
    Participant
    • Total posts: 181
    Up

SpinningHill, quick bit of advice. You almost certainly don’t need an app. You would probably get charged a bomb. You may need a site redesign though, and look for someone who does ‘responsive web design’. If they know what they’re doing the site will automagically scale according to the viewing device.

A great example of this came out today, a preview of Microsoft’s new design

Note, I don’t offer this. So I’m not trying to sell a service. I’m not a designer, I’m a developer. Just pointing out you probably don’t need to pay for an app…

Cheers

adrian
    Participant
    Up

Ooops. Should have pointed out… With the Microsoft site, scale your browser window up and down to see how it deals with different screen sizes…

spinninghill
    • Total posts: 345
    Up

Many thanks Adrian!!

Michael

Allied
    • Total posts: 96
    Up

Hi

Does anyone know about any duplicate content issues with your website and your mobile website and if you are penalised by Google for this?

adrian
    Participant
    Up

For separate version of a site with duplicate content, you need to mark one as the canonical version, no penalties.

Allied
    • Total posts: 96
    Up

Thank you Adrian.

jacksonalsop
    • Total posts: 41
    Up

To anyone interested, a recent trend in web design has been the increase in popularity of responsive web design.

You can find a great overview of the concept here:

http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/articles/design-theory/designing-for-a-responsive-web/

Essentially, your site will shift and adapt depending on the screen size of the device used for viewing. This is much better way of catering to mobile users, as you code once and have it work for any sized screen.

Ally M
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Just to echo what adrian and jacksonalop have said…responsive web design is the way to go.
    I am starting to roll out my sites as responsive ones, it just makes sense to me. One site, that works on all devices.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.