Home – New Forums Tech talk How Google makes improvements to its search algorithm

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up
    ::

I found this very interesting.

“Here’s a short video we put together that gives you a sense of the work that goes into the changes and improvements we make to Google almost every day. While an improvement to the algorithm may start with a creative idea, it always goes through a process of rigorous scientific testing.”

How Google makes improvements to its search algorithm

Oops – this should have been posted into “Search Engines etc” – sorry.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Bradzo,
    Vindication for the SEO strategy of sticking to basic principles instead of chasing what ever the latest touted Google change of the week is.

Regs,
    JohnW

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up
    bradzo, post: 88836 wrote:
    I found this very interesting.

“Here’s a short video we put together that gives you a sense of the work that goes into the changes and improvements we make to Google almost every day. While an improvement to the algorithm may start with a creative idea, it always goes through a process of rigorous scientific testing.”

How Google makes improvements to its search algorithm

Oops – this should have been posted into “Search Engines etc” – sorry.

I will love to see a video where google mentions

Yep… you change the algorithm for economical reasons.
    Yep… we are not all about fairness, in fact we love to boost ranking of sites we have shares on.
    And yep… our algorithm is FULL FULL of holes but we usually don’t that because we are suppose to be “the fair” search engine and we have no idea how to patch it.

But every time I see a Google Video like this, reminds me of a Political Party video…

bradzo
    Up

Hi John

Absolutely. Keep publishing valuable content on blogs etc. No need to worry about trying to “game” the system. However, their new “author” thing might be a good thing to get into…..

As far as I can see, all Google wants to do is deliver the best results for a particular web search phrase. They have so many algorithms, written by really smart software engineers, that try to deliver that ideal.

From SmartCompany:

“Google gives the world a new peek as its infamous algorithm and warns of crackdown on content scrapers”

“”With all of these other things like Google authorship and so on, there’s a bigger issue here that they are going to try and reward quality content. I don’t think this is very surprising, then.””

As for Google authorship, they’re actively seeking content authors who have public Google profiles – I have one, and its been Google verified. See here for how to setup your own – See “rel-author” for WordPress sites.

If nothing else, quality, regular content from authors who have been verified by Google’s own step-by-step process, will ensure better search engine results for those authors – as long as that content is thematically equivalent to the searcher’s query.

In the same article:

“”Stewart says the push from Google towards authorship, and around associating content with particular authors instead of random sites, is one factor. Another is that Google is also now ensuring search rankings may be different for each users based on if their friends in social circles have shared that content.””

And lastly:

“”That’s why Google has put out a multi-pronged attack with emphasis on authorship to find more original content. If a scraper beats their bot, they want to find out how that happens.””

So my takeaway is to have a verified Google author profile and write original content, as often as possible, that targets your searchers’ keywords.

And as you can see from the above post, Joost de Valk has a profile pic beside his search engine results…. what better confirmation to a web surfer of a link to actually click on, instead of one without?

We all want to connect with real people, don’t we?

Would you prefer to click on a search engine result that had the authors profile pic, or one without?

bradzo
    Up

Sometimes, I despair of ever posting anything.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    bradzo, post: 88863 wrote:
    Sometimes, I despair of ever posting anything.
    Hi Bradly,
    Don’t give up. I’m on the same wave length as you.

Back to your original thread…

I’m in opinion mode here because I have not seen anything I consider definitive or factual on a number of the points you raise.

I’d love to see even more crack-down on “scrapers”. I think The Panda upgrade cleaned up much of one problem but as perhaps an unforseen consequence it enabled “scrapers” to emerge from the SE wood work.

The “author” meta tag. The jury is out on this one in my opinion. G has anounced many, many intended changes like this in the past but the problem has been that the web production world has not implemented them so G could not make use of them in its algo.

I think G will be relying more on where it “saw” the article first and how related the article is to the domain it is on.

Bottom line: Publish content on your own site before you post it onto other sites.

Regs,
    JohnW

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.