Home – New Forums Tech talk How I learned the importance of backing up!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up
    ::

In the last week, I have learned the importance of backing up – I thought I might share this with you in case you don’t have backup systems in place.

My computer was infected by a virus, which made me lost control of basically my entire computer (And resulted in me getting Chris Bates out of bed at a very late hour, my apologies to your wife).

Of course, things like this only happen when your incredibly busy and have a pile of work on.

Luckily, I backed up daily. I had to reformat my computer, but because I had an effective backing up policy, I was able to get myself back online within 6 hours (and access to all my files) and then another 3-4 hours to install all my programs and I was back to full strength.

I had a slight hiccup with my MYOB files and lost about 2 weeks of work, but I’m slowing re entering my data and it won’t be long before that is back up to date.

If I didn’t have these backups, I have no idea what I would have done. I would have been down for at least 2 weeks, trying to recreate all my files & data. It would have been a nightmare!

If you don’t have a backup policy in place, I strongly reccomend you get one right this minute.

For those who are interested, there was a post about two weeks ago on Emroy Post listing some easy, backup methods. You can find it here.

– Jake

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

The wife didn’t wake up, luckily :P

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Luckily!

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

My lesson was in relation to iCal

I now back up my iCal whenever I use iSync. That’s all I’ll say about that… I now look like I didn’t do all that work that I did do in March… or even beyond that. It’s all gone. Lost.

Because I didn’t have a back up of iCal before sync-ing with my phone.

Rhys
    • Total posts: 325
    Up

Jake,

I had a similar experience with an almost brand new laptop just a couple of weeks ago – had to reload all my programs (which took me a lot longer than it took you) & restore backed up data. Luckily I also had a recent back up, so only lost 1 days data but even so it was a pain. The least painful was my accounting data – I used to run my accounts on MYOB but I have recently switched to Xero – no application to re-install, no data lost – indeed by the time I got back on line my accounts had automatically updated with 3 more days worth of bank transactions!

Cheers, Rhys

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

I’ve taken another tack with respect to backup.

I installed the freely available Sun VirtualBox to create a virtual machine, then installed all the apps I needed for a particular project, and then run that virtual machine when I want to work on that project (and if the host machine is recent, the performance of the VM is fine)

The only thing I need to backup is the large file on disk that acts like the system hard drive for that virtual machine (You can set it to whatever size you like, as long as the host drive is large enough). I have another file on disk that acts like a 2nd hard drive in the system. I just back that up too.

I’ve made my VM “drives” (a file on the host disk) 4GB each, so that they fit on a standard DVD.

If the main machine has to be reformatted, then you still have to do that, and re-install the host OS, but then you can just reinstall VirtualBox, and create a new virtual machine. Then “attach” those single large backed-up files (saved to the DVD) to that VM, start the VM and everything is back. And no need to reinstall the guest OS either, since its already in the backup file.

Much faster than re-installing *all* your apps one by one and configuring settings etc, then restoring all the data.

I haven’t needed to restore yet though :) but I’m guessing it’d be quicker than the standard method.

I’d also suggest taking the time to test your backups too – the worst time to find out that a backup is faulty (for whatever reason) is when you actually need it! So try pencilling in some time to get a new box up and running, and test your restore process ahead of time.

Might be a good blog post!

Guess what I’ll be doing this weekend……?
    :) lol

Samot
    • Total posts: 157
    Up

If you really want a easy 100% reliable solution for backup for your small business I wouldn’t recommend anything other then dropbox.

http://dropbox.com

Dropbox supplies you with a virtual drive on the internet with a free version of 2 gigabytes.

This virtual storage is then synchronized onto any computer you like windows max or linux using there dropbox application.

Which means you can access files on your laptop or home pc at anytime as long as internet is connected.

If your on a machine that doesn’t have dropbox installed such as at a library you can login to dropbox.com and they have a online file browser where you can easily download your files.

Its pretty much perfect and beyond easy to setup and understand.

Get it now!

Carbonite Australia
    • Total posts: 118
    Up

We hear stories like this everyday at Carbonite. Seriously. Small Business doesn’t do enough backing up. They either don’t have the time to get their act together, don’t understand the real consequences or think that PC’s don’t die.

There are lots of backup options available. Many of them mentioned in this forum many times.

If you don’t have the time or discipline to do manual backups, then atleast go online for a solution. There are plenty of online backup solutions available. Some are totally free others offer a free trial.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.