Home – New Forums Marketing mastery How I made 6500 fans and $3.90 from an earthquake

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up
    ::

I’m sure you probably have all heard/read about the massive earthquake that rocked Adelaide last night. It happened around 11:30 local time, just outside of Adelaide in the hills.

Now not having ever experienced an earthquake before, I turned to my social media buddies to confirm that I wasn’t actually going crazy. Sure enough, people were already updating their Facebook status and sending Tweets asking if anyone else had felt the temor.

seismic_waves.png

Enter lesson 101: Social Media and time-sensitive opportunities.

I now own a Facebook fan page with over 6,500 fans. All of these people are from Adelaide, and are absolutely glued to what’s happening in the fan page at the moment.

So, partly for humor, partly for the chance of riches – I head over to Zazzle and design a tshirt. It certainly got a laugh, but I actually managed to sell two of them. With my impressive 10% royalties, that came to a tidy $3.90 profit.

More importantly though, I used social media to capture an audience from a highly time sensitive opportunity. I’ve now broadcasted to that audience a plug for our local FS member Adam Randal and his charity event The Big Lebowski’s Comedy Night.

The next step, of course, is for Matt and I to market to these people in a way that’s going to benefit us and FrontBox. Which we already have a couple of ideas floating around :)

The moral of the story though, is to demonstrate how social media can and is the hub for information nowadays. Facebook and Twitter knew about the earthquake first, then the radio caught on, finally the news websites etc.

So next time there’s a big event on nearby you, or a major occurrence, even something minor. Think about how you could capture the audience around it, and breed a mini-community that allows you to market direct to them.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to buy a coffee with my profits from last night…

The Internet Bloke
    • Total posts: 131
    Up

Well Done.
    It’s quite impressive how something like that spurs people into action with comments, etc.

I should have done something similar instantly when someone I know landed his plane on the Brooker Highway in Hobart recently, but left it too late and someone else seized the moment.

Comments from the page were being quoted extensively in the newsmedia.

Cheers, and to bad you only made enough for a small coffee :-)

Eric G.

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

Hi Chris

What a great story.

You really know, and show, what you’re all about.

Congratulations.

Want a social media strategy? Talk to Chris.

Cheers
    Brad

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

hahahahaha I read this post earlier today and started laughing. in fact ever time I see it I start laughing.

But what a great idea, just think what the local Rotary club could do with that number of people.
    I trust the money you earned went into your superfund.
    Fantastic, only you could do something crazy like this and be successful,
    sorry Im still lafin

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Great post Chris!

Was 6500 now over 8000 members. Really show the power of Facebook. I heard it first their, THEN looked it up on the other media websites, that has news travels these days. Of course, then think about how many people who joined the page actually told about the earthquake. The number must run into the 10,000’s.

Imagine if your product or service received such coverage – in 12 hours – that is what social media can do.

Trish FCA
    • Total posts: 235
    Up

LMAO @ Chris,

Loved the cartoon. People power wins the day again. The first I knew about the quake was from you FB fan page when it popped up.

As for reaching so many targets in such a short time, it’s not just about displaying it but hitting the RIGHT marks when you do.

Well done to you and Matthew.

And don’t forget to join http://www.facebook.com/melbournenow

Cheers,

danimations
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Nice work, Chris. I didn’t realise it was an earthquake til the next morning, when I logged into facebook. Being a creative type, I also made a couple of commemorative products and sold. Nice work wrangling all those earthquake mad people!

You can see my products here: http://www.zazzle.com/danimations*

Simple1
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

Great work Chris.

Some fantastic evidence to support the power of social media.

I had a similar experience with the Melbourne hail storm.

A camera, some freak weather and some fast thinking and i was able to make myself almost $15 on Youtube. (Suported by some Facebook posts)

Hope you sell a few more ;)

Dave Bockett
    • Total posts: 97
    Up

Perhaps you could swap to Carl Williams T-Shirts? :)

Dave.

AnaLucia
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

hehe, I love your ideas!!! You are so clever!!!
    Coming from Mexico, I have bad experiences with earthquakes (8.3) but still you have to look to the positive side of thinks, dont you?

Hey Burgo, nice picture! your face look familiar!!! I wonder where have I seen you before, I dont remeber having vote for you!!! wait a minute, I dont vote here … yet!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.