Home – New Forums Tech talk How long before you can buy an expired domain name?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Captain Simmo
    • Total posts: 110
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I would like to know the process of registering a .com.au domain name that i missed out on exactly 2 years ago… the current owner has never used the name in the past 2 years and it was just parked.

The domain has now been expired for 2 days ago (previous owner hasn’t reregistered yet) and it is still in there name as expired.

What i would like to know is how long will it remain expired in the previous owners name and how long before it is released to the availablity list again.

I have noticed that you can “prebook” on backorder though domain name companies… do you suggest i do this? or will this bring attention to the name if and when it goes to auction?

Thank you in advance,

Simmo.

Chris H
    • Total posts: 111
    Up

Hi Simmo,

I personally wouldn’t prebook as some of the domain companies aren’t the most reputable as they may purchase and resell them to you at an inflated cost.
    Different registrars take different amounts of time, but I think the previous owner would have at least 30 days to pay.

This is an interesting take on it: http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/archive/2005/03/how-to-snatch-an-expiring-domain

If it is not a domain name that there is going to be a high demand for, I would stop searching for it on ISP’s webpages and just lay low… Unless you want it really badly at any price.

Cheers.

Chris

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

domains expire for 30 days during which time the registrant can still renew. After that it gets purged and becomes openly available.

I agree it may not be a good idea to try and prebook.
    Also check the availalbility through ausregistry not through an everyday registrar.

Steve

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.