Home – New Forums Tech talk How Many Domain Extensions Should I Buy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    dgirl
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

I already own the .com extension of my desired website. My question isn’t whether I should get .com OR .com.au

but

Should I get .com AND .com.au

Are there any ranking benefits or will that all be lost if I list the .com and simply redirect .com.au traffic. Any thoughts?

Note: website is promotional info only to link to Amazon sales — not reliant on Australia.

markn
    • Total posts: 103
    Up
    dgirl, post: 161815 wrote:
    Hi All,

I already own the .com extension of my desired website. My question isn’t whether I should get .com OR .com.au

but

Are there any ranking benefits or will that all be lost if I list the .com and simply redirect .com.au traffic. Any thoughts?

Note: website is promotional info only to link to Amazon sales — not reliant on Australia.

Get both .com and .com.au. Make sure your web-dev redirects one properly to the other if you’re not going to build two different sites. Whatever you do, do not allow them to simply point both domains at the same content.

There’s no real SEO benefit to having two domains pointing at the same site. But, from a branding point of view it’s better AND customers can reach you by typing both domains into their browser.

There is an SEO benefit if you build two separate sites with unique useful content on each. You could target the .com at the US market an the .com.au at the Australian market. However, clearly this is going to be a lot of work as you cannot simply duplicate the content on both sites.

klix media
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

Note: website is promotional info only to link to Amazon sales — not reliant on Australia

niche domains for sure going to have benefit of seo ..

and .com.au will listed more powerfully in compare with .com if you are targeting in australian market.

so if you have website which you wanted to target with most focus in australia than blindly go for .com.au … it will surely help you .. :)

DKChoices
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

I would definitely get both. For the minimal cost, not worth risking the potential of a customer typing one and then not reaching your website.

sunnyfox
    • Total posts: 45
    Up

I got both for my site, even though I am only targeting Australia for these reasons:

• .com is shorter, and many people forget the .au at the end
    • .com.au Builds more trust because you need an ABN to get it and people will know you are an Australian company.
    • If I can make more than a dollar, I would like to expand to other countries in the future, so getting the .com now makes sense instead of losing out on it later.

I am sure there are more/better reasons than this, but for a few extra bucks a year, why pass on it?

ryanmclean
    • Total posts: 25
    Up

Go with the .com only.

If you go .com.au then Google will likely rank you higher for Australian searchers at the cost of US searches. Seeing as you are marketing Amazon then the US will be your marketplace.

Owning both and redirecting the .com.au to the .com will give you little to no benefit in the search rankings.

I only buy a .com.au if I am going after the Australian market and then I use the exclusively.

Global markets I always go .com only. Why waste your money when you don’t need to?

rdenton
    • Total posts: 90
    Up

.com.au has seo benefits for localised search!

I usually invest in .com, .com.au, .net.au, .net and sometimes .org to protect the idea and name. If your idea or site takes off, it won’t take long for others to snatch up your domains and try to resell them to you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.