Home – New Forums Starting your journey How many products to start with?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    AnaV
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I’m looking into opening an online business that sells preserved roses in gift boxes. Problem is I don’t know how many products to start off with. I was thinking possibly 3 different styles but have a variety of colours and then get different styles as the business grows. Any advice would be much appreciated

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

Just searched for preserved roses in gift boxes. Wow, the prices, but I suppose I am not the type of customer you are aiming at. Anyway I think what you are proposing sounds like a good amount to test the waters.

I see that there are a quite a few of that type of online store in Aus so what are you going to offer or do different that would encourage customers to choose you?

AnaV
    Up
    Rowan @ GardenLarder, post: 255763, member: 28171 wrote:
    Just searched for preserved roses in gift boxes. Wow, the prices, but I suppose I am not the type of customer you are aiming at. Anyway I think what you are proposing sounds like a good amount to test the waters.

I see that there are a quite a few of that type of online store in Aus so what are you going to offer or do different that would encourage customers to choose you?

Oh I know some places charge way too much!

Honestly I’ve only been researching about about a month or so on products but I’ve noticed they mostly all have the same style of boxes and I’m looking into doing different styles which will hopefully bring some of the customers to me instead of them. At the same time I was thinking maybe offer 2 different styles and 1 style the same as the others so that I’m not missing out on the customers who want that particular style. In the long run I’m looking into having different and same style boxes, if that makes sense :)

If I decide to do the same style as others (which I doubt I will for now) then I’d offer the product for slightly cheaper.

Also I’m looking into doing the delivery slightly differently, but that’s something I’m yet to figure out.

DamienDeveloper
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

I would say 2-3. They’ve done studies on people selling jam (different product, granted) and basically having too many options caused buyers to get overwhelmed and not make a purchase at all. Keep it simple and expand your offering based on what the market tells you, not what you think it wants.

As for others charging too much, you should make your box/package look expensive and then charge even more! :)

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Just thinking out aloud, why are the others selling the styles they are?, is it because they have tried the others and worked out which are the top sellers, you have free market research staring you in the face. Use it.

My suggestion, and the way I do it with my giftware is buy the widest range I can, and see what sell’s, and then buy more of that style, and discontinue the other ranges.

What I have found and a few others I have spoken to is that although you like that style, the people who want to buy have a completely different taste to you.

I remember when buying this xmas’s stock my buyer in the demographic of the product we were looking at chose what looked like would be a popular item, but to meet the minimum order quantity we had to get a few other items, so chose a couple of other ones which we thought may sell. Well you can guess what happened the second choices sold out and I think I only sold 1 or 2 of what she thought would be hot items.

By limiting yourself to just 2 or 3 styles, you may be limiting the potential of your new business.

AnaV
    Up
    DamienDeveloper, post: 255766, member: 58978 wrote:
    I would say 2-3. They’ve done studies on people selling jam (different product, granted) and basically having too many options caused buyers to get overwhelmed and not make a purchase at all. Keep it simple and expand your offering based on what the market tells you, not what you think it wants.

As for others charging too much, you should make your box/package look expensive and then charge even more! :)

Thanks for that, I didn’t think of it in that way in regards to the packaging.

Yes I’ve noticed with some of the sites they only have 3 boxes with different variety of coloured roses but they’ve listed it all individually instead of having a drop down list to choose a colour, I personally find that overwhelming because like you said it looks like there are too many options

AnaV
    Up
    bb1, post: 255773, member: 53375 wrote:
    Just thinking out aloud, why are the others selling the styles they are?, is it because they have tried the others and worked out which are the top sellers, you have free market research staring you in the face. Use it.

My suggestion, and the way I do it with my giftware is buy the widest range I can, and see what sell’s, and then buy more of that style, and discontinue the other ranges.

What I have found and a few others I have spoken to is that although you like that style, the people who want to buy have a completely different taste to you.

I remember when buying this xmas’s stock my buyer in the demographic of the product we were looking at chose what looked like would be a popular item, but to meet the minimum order quantity we had to get a few other items, so chose a couple of other ones which we thought may sell. Well you can guess what happened the second choices sold out and I think I only sold 1 or 2 of what she thought would be hot items.

By limiting yourself to just 2 or 3 styles, you may be limiting the potential of your new business.

Thanks for that advise you make a very good point. I was thinking to just start off with the 2 or 3 styles and then bring in the new styles shortly after

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    AnaV, post: 255794, member: 104791 wrote:
    Thanks for that advise you make a very good point. I was thinking to just start off with the 2 or 3 styles and then bring in the new styles shortly after

A can see just a minor flaw with this approach, you will spend Mega dollars on SEO or other tactics to get customers to your site, they don’t find what they want so move on to your competitors who do stock the style they want, and purchase from them.

They then become loyal customers to that supplier, and never come back to see if you have added new lines.

Once you get a potential purchaser to your site, keep them there, don’t give them a reason to go to your opposition.

AnaV
    Up
    bb1, post: 255795, member: 53375 wrote:
    A can see just a minor flaw with this approach, you will spend Mega dollars on SEO or other tactics to get customers to your site, they don’t find what they want so move on to your competitors who do stock the style they want, and purchase from them.

They then become loyal customers to that supplier, and never come back to see if you have added new lines.

Once you get a potential purchaser to your site, keep them there, don’t give them a reason to go to your opposition.

Definately something to keep in mind. So I should offer at least the same amount of products as the others. Possibly the same styles as the others and the new styles which I was thinking as well, it would be more convenient in regards to updating websites etc

winchweb
    Participant
    • Total posts: 37
    Up

Preserved roses – who knew!?!? :)

I agree, a wider range is better than a narrow range. We don’t know how you’re going to get potential customers to your site, but it isn’t going to be easy (in spite of what you might see out there in internet-land!). So you’ll want to make the most of the ones that do arrive. Better for search-engines too.

Spend time & effort on making your site as easy as possible to use, making the purchase process really quick & simple, focus on what the actual real customers want to see & do, and you’ll make a success of it over time.

I guess how many styles you go for would boil down to how much you can spend on stock and therefore what they cost you wholesale (and whether there are storage costs/spoilage costs – sorry, not a preserved rose expert!).

Once all the above is in place, you’ll need a plan to drive people to your website. Don’t leave that till the end…

RoseC
    • Total posts: 58
    Up

Wow! I also had to look these up. Very beautiful. I would like some of these!

As and when you reach the point of needing copy, drop me a line!

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

MVP.

Minimal viable product.

Best to start small, learn and grow.

Common mistake is people filling a back bedroom or garage full of stuff then find themselves not being able to sell it.

Hassle Free Website
    • Total posts: 108
    Up
    AnaV, post: 255762, member: 104791 wrote:
    Hi,

I’m looking into opening an online business

If you are going to start out small then check out http://www.bigcartel.com which allows you to open an account for free for selling of 5 items.

That would cover your 3 styles with differnet variations.

The trick though will be getting people to view your online site.

AnaV
    Up
    RoseC, post: 256014, member: 102925 wrote:
    Wow! I also had to look these up. Very beautiful. I would like some of these!

As and when you reach the point of needing copy, drop me a line!

They really are beautiful that’s why I wanted to get into selling them. Would love to be surrounded by them every day

AnaV
    Up
    John Romaine, post: 256028, member: 39536 wrote:
    MVP.

Minimal viable product.

Best to start small, learn and grow.

Common mistake is people filling a back bedroom or garage full of stuff then find themselves not being able to sell it.

That’s what I am worried about, it could very possibly happen. I might stick to the 3 styles for now, but would hate to miss out on customers like the other posters have mentioned.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.