Home – New Forums Starting your journey How Many Seats for a Cafe?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kilo Whisky Foxtrot
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone,

I am currently in the very early stages of assessing a site for a local café in Sydney which has good parking, significant passing foot traffic courtesy of being adjacent to both a bus terminal and railway station and an abundence of parents from several local schools looking for pre & post drop off/pick up meeting place.

Additionally, the strip has two competitors at the lower end of the scale and could do with some competition via a more extensive food offering, as opposed to the current coffee & cakes both competitors sell.

My question is this, what is a benchmark for seating capacity per sqm for a café, which would prepare both hot and cold menu items? I realise there are endless possibilities subject to design and kitchen fit outs and utlimately menu, but was hoping for some approximate guide.

I have a meeting scheduled with Council this week to discuss lodging a DA.

Any contributions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, KWF

hotstuffbeauty
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

slightly unrelated post, but just after reading this I came across this ebay store which sells tables and chairs for cafe’s etc as I was search for new salon furniture.. incase you’re interested.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/SalonWarehouse-HairdressingSupplies?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi KWF,

I’m not the right person to answer your questions, but did want to welcome you to the forum and wish you the best of luck for your meeting.

I have my fingers crossed that someone around here will have the info you need.

Nice to meet you, by the way.
    Jayne

Alan Maddick
    • Total posts: 410
    Up

We do lots of work with Cafe owners and not sure that there is normally a seats per SqM benchmark, normally the key for a new council applications in regards to seats;

That you show them a floor plan that is workable (ie people can still move safely etc)

They will asses if the cafe will have an adverse impact in regards to parking etc based on total number of seats.

That said every council is different.

Apart from that total umber of seats indoors and outdoors feeds into your business plan for example say you have 40 seats indoors and 20 outdoors you will need to make assumptions about how full you will be per session (eg Saturday breakfast, weekday lunch session) and then average $ spend per head per session (average will normally be different for example between a Sat morning client & a weekday morning client)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.