Home – New Forums Marketing mastery How Much Time On A Sales Letter to One Prospect

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up
    ::

Hello Everyone

I have spent time today working on an email proposal touting for business from a strong lead. I have laid out their issues and the solutions.

I am going this path with email (faster than letter and I already know them) to give specifics and examples that cannot be detailed in a telephone call and of course I will follow up with a call.

In this email I have chosen to be brutally frank because we are talking about a business bought by employees who are still thinking like employees.

So to the forum may I ask:

Do you tend to (or even recommend to) not say what you want to say for fear of offending the prospect? and

How much time do you generally invest in researching a strong prospect’s business and writing an email like mine today?

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

The only objective of your email is to convince them to a further meeting so you can discuss your ideas in greater detail.

The amount of time and effort you put in will be based on the possible payback from gaining work with this prospect and to a lesser extent how busy you are at the moment.

Never offend anyone in the business. Say what you can do to improve different areas of their business. i.e. “Fred from marketing is useless I can do a better job then him” … say “With my advice and experience I can work with your current marketing department and increase sales by 100%” .. as really quick example ;)

Geoff Kelly
    • Total posts: 14
    Up

Ray is right about realtionships and ot giving offense. Email especially can be dangerous when delivering harsh love.

They will be more likely to accept constructive comments when they know you and trust you, but mostly when they know you have their best interests at heart. So ask yourself how you can show that in what you send to them.

Regarding time spent, consider their point of view. They are a strong prospect. They will be looking for value – some wow factor. Do what you need to do to achieve that. Obviously you won’t spend so much time that you compromise other crucial activities. But winning a quality client might have a great life-time value, including furure referrals, so is usually a better use of time than much else that disracts us.

Good luck.

Geoff

Lisa Murray – Biz Coach
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

Hi Warren
    I often deliver ‘tough love’ – but never in an email, always in person, and in the kindest way I can find. Sometimes I find it is better to deliver it by leading them to their own conclusions, by asking them a lot of questions – this often lets the lights come on more easily, and you look more like the good guy!! Think of it as helping them see opportunities…

cheers
    Lisa

Ric Willmot
    • Total posts: 141
    Up
    warrenc, post: 974 wrote:
    Hello Everyone

I have spent time today working on an email proposal touting for business from a strong lead. I have laid out their issues and the solutions.

I am going this path with email (faster than letter and I already know them) to give specifics and examples that cannot be detailed in a telephone call and of course I will follow up with a call.

In this email I have chosen to be brutally frank because we are talking about a business bought by employees who are still thinking like employees.

So to the forum may I ask:

Do you tend to (or even recommend to) not say what you want to say for fear of offending the prospect? and

How much time do you generally invest in researching a strong prospect’s business and writing an email like mine today?

Hello Warren,
    Part I
    An email will not get you business – it may get you a more interested ear when you telephone.
    When you telephone, the purpose of the call is to arrange for the person to meet with you face to face.
    When you meet face to face, the purpose of the meeting is to ask intelligent questions.
    The answers you receive to those intelligent questions you ask, will enable you to understand where you may be able to deliver value to the buyer, and if they have the ability and desire to write you a cheque for that value. Now you can start to develop a relationship that will lead to the sale being made.

Part II
    Express Post is pretty fast, and it has a greater cache than an email. Although, given your business, you might be able to do some pretty fancy stuff with email. I personally open mail and delete emails.

Part III
    No problems at all in being brutally frank. That’s what will make you 100 times more valuable than every other “Yes-Man” who walks in the door being nice because they want to win the business. However, everyone here is correct in advising that you do it, in person. And, never until they have engaged your services and you have been paid.

Part IV
    I insist in being paid in advance; specifically so I can give the buyer my honest assessment, feedback and advice. Some of my best clients continue to engage my services consistently and regularly, because they know they will always get the truth from me, no matter how unpalatable.

Part V
    Researching: do what is required, don’t spare the horses.
    Writing an email: as little as possible.

Get on the phone and get in front of the person who has the authourity and ability to write you a cheque and is directly responsible for the success or otherwise of the business.

Best of luck with it.
    Rgds,
    Ric

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up

Thanks for the feedback everyone,

One thing that I always do with either email or letter when I am feeling pumped is write it one day and leave it for review for the next day…. so what went out today was softer and with more solutions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.