Home – New Forums Starting your journey How much would you charge?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    Up
    ::

So I have a boutique-style business, and I offer book cover design.

In each package there’s a particular number of concepts I send over.

Twice this week I’ve had a client request to own more than one concept for them to use at the end of the project. So instead of just getting one book cover at the end, they want two of them- say 2 of the 3 concepts I’ve sent them.

My packages only provide one single concept final files at the end, so I’m wondering what I should charge for the second concept. I’m happy to sell it, but because time and energy and concept development was spent on it etc I’m not sure how much for 50% of the original package price? Only 25%? Do I charge 100% price of an entire second package?

I’m normally pretty clear headed with this. How much time was spent on it + skills and expertise + hourly rate = but this was already part of the original package so I’m a bit lost.

eWAY
    • Total posts: 524
    Up

If a cover is not chosen by a customer is there any chance of it being ‘recycled’ (even with changes) with another or is it never to be seen again?

If you would potentially earn the same revenue from that extra design I’d feel inclined to still charge at least 50-75% of the cost.

Maclean

ScarlettR
    Up
    eWAY, post: 172441 wrote:
    If a cover is not chosen by a customer is there any chance of it being ‘recycled’ (even with changes) with another or is it never to be seen again?

If you would potentially earn the same revenue from that extra design I’d feel inclined to still charge at least 50-75% of the cost.

Maclean

Up to this point it’s never to be seen again. I don’t wish to reuse concepts that I’ve already pitched to another author at this point.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Interesting question young lady, and not sure there is a correct answer.

Although I certainly feel it has value and would also look at 50+% on a second or third cover as you have already expelled the energy to create it and really may just need some format tweaks to get the $$$$..

On this, maybe it is an opportunity opening up whereby you could make an offer (either at, shortly after or months later) to previous clients who ‘may’ be interested in presenting their book in various forms or even like a re-branding for the book?

Just thinking..

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Osmond Mcleod
    • Total posts: 134
    Up

As a counter to most responses, as a client i would think, you have done the work, i just want you to package it up and send it to me as well.

You may find the client is only expecting to pay a packaging or finalising fee and might think why are you charging me again? you have done the work…

I understand the additional cover adds value, but they may only view it as a time spent equation which they have already paid you for.

Also worth considering if they might be coming back as a repeat customer. It could be worth offering it cheap, but this sets a precedent. Tricky

If it were me, i would charge to finalise the design and also 25% for release of it, but i am still trying to work up to charging clients the way i should….

Keen to hear what you decide to do.

Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

Hi Scarlett,

Your customer isn’t buying your time they are buying your brilliance!

Therefore you should charge for additional material if the original agreement was to only supply a single item. However, it is an unusual bonus so a 50% discount would be a good gesture. Any more than this cheapens your ‘brilliance’.

I would take it is a lesson for the future and make it a part of the sales pitch upfront. This will actually plant the idea in your clients head that the extra concepts are actually available for to be purchased.

ScarlettR
    Up
    Osmond Mcleod, post: 172461 wrote:
    As a counter to most responses, as a client i would think, you have done the work, i just want you to package it up and send it to me as well.

You may find the client is only expecting to pay a packaging or finalising fee and might think why are you charging me again? you have done the work…

I understand the additional cover adds value, but they may only view it as a time spent equation which they have already paid you for.

Also worth considering if they might be coming back as a repeat customer. It could be worth offering it cheap, but this sets a precedent. Tricky

If it were me, i would charge to finalise the design and also 25% for release of it, but i am still trying to work up to charging clients the way i should….

Keen to hear what you decide to do.

That’s a really good point, and the one which has thrown the spanner into the works.

The reason I’m hesitant to do this is because I’m very clear about the sort of value I wish to provide to my clients, vs the value of my product.

I have always tried to be one of the best in my little pocket of the industry, and this means not selling premades, not lacking on customer service, and charging a high price to show I’m confident, I have expertise and skill you won’t find anywhere else, and my work is good.

By charging 25% I feel like I’m giving mixed signals. That the client can at any time order a package and get 3 covers for price of 1 1/2. That instead of really focusing on the end product- their beautiful cover for their book- they will consider it just like any other premade and may switch and swap.

That’s where I’m getting a bit confused as to what route to take. I prefer to match one price to all clients so that no one feels cheated, rather than make the call per-client.

Osmond Mcleod
    • Total posts: 134
    Up
    ScarlettR, post: 172470 wrote:
    The reason I’m hesitant to do this is because I’m very clear about the sort of value I wish to provide to my clients, vs the value of my product.

I have always tried to be one of the best in my little pocket of the industry, and this means not selling premades, not lacking on customer service, and charging a high price to show I’m confident, I have expertise and skill you won’t find anywhere else, and my work is good.

There is your answer. Charge them at least 50 – 75%.

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    ScarlettR, post: 172439 wrote:
    So I have a boutique-style business, and I offer book cover design.

In each package there’s a particular number of concepts I send over.

Twice this week I’ve had a client request to own more than one concept for them to use at the end of the project. So instead of just getting one book cover at the end, they want two of them- say 2 of the 3 concepts I’ve sent them.

My packages only provide one single concept final files at the end, so I’m wondering what I should charge for the second concept. I’m happy to sell it, but because time and energy and concept development was spent on it etc I’m not sure how much for 50% of the original package price? Only 25%? Do I charge 100% price of an entire second package?

I’m normally pretty clear headed with this. How much time was spent on it + skills and expertise + hourly rate = but this was already part of the original package so I’m a bit lost.

You are uncovering a different pricing model, and this is really important to go back and see whether the original pricing structure is truly what works for your clients.

Pricing should always be structured based on solving a client’s need.

You’ve uncovered a need.

Instead of letting your current pricing structure drive your decision, go back to the problems and needs of your clients, and build a new pricing model.

Customers come first, products come second. Not the other way around.

BTW, I offer pricing strategy sessions if you need help with it.

Jenny

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.