Home – New Forums Marketing mastery How successful are press releases?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Meat Lover
    • Total posts: 32
    Up
    ::

Has anyone had any experiences with these and if they’re really likely to get traction within media outlets?

Jodie McLeod
    • Total posts: 345
    Up

Hi Meat Lover,

Very successful – if the release contains a good story idea and is targeted to the right publication. For more tips on pitching to the media, head here.

Cheers,

Jodie

ozcart
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Press releases are the bread and butter of the media relations industry and are an important starting point in generating interest in your site, product or news. There are a few things at work here:

– A well written release with real news value may generate interest in your products or services by media outlets themselves
    – They are archived by the media agencies that choose to publish them (so act as a lasting archive of your achievement or news)
    – They are archived by press release publishing services waiting to be found by people researching your business.

There has been a number of discussions in search engine marketing circles about whether the publishing of releases can dilute your presence due to the content about your site being duplicated, but this would be far outweighed by the value of getting your message out there to the readers of any agencies that choose to publish your story or follow up on it.

Writing a quality press release is not as easy as it seems, but there are few important rules of thumb:
    – The first paragraph must sell your whole story. If the news story was cut off after the first paragraph, everything you really want to say should be in there
    – The release must have news value. The fact that you are launching a new product or have an event is not news in itself. You have to think about the readers of the publications who might publish your release and ask yourself what would really interest that audience? what is different about your piece of news? why should it be published?
    – Write a headline that is catchy but not overly “clever”. Get the main message of your release across and leave the clever lines to the headline writers at the news agency.

The mindset you need to have when writing a release is to think of them as “news releases” not just articles or announcements. Any that you get published by a news agency is free advertising and well worth it in terms of traffic if you get in front of the right audience.

The article referred to by Jodie is excellent and well worth a read.

Regards
    Brooke

Wordsmith
    • Total posts: 194
    Up

Very – and I say this as a journalist – as long as it is a good media release with a true and strong news angle.

Now is also a particularly opportunistic time to start sending media releases out.

Why?

Recently many journalists found themselves out of work. This means there are fewer journalists doing more work and those journalists have less time to thoroughly research stories.

So, if you can get a good media release together – something that gives them exactly what they need, exactly the way they need it – you have a much better chance of getting a run, maybe now more than ever before.

The Barefoot Marketer
    • Total posts: 61
    Up

That’s why I love this place, getting the inside scoop from a journalist on what works.

I’ve done a few press releases and had moderate success, but who and what is the best way to approach a publication to get your press release firstly read then published?

Cheers,

James

Wordsmith, post: 155092 wrote:
    Very – and I say this as a journalist – as long as it is a good media release with a true and strong news angle.

Now is also a particularly opportunistic time to start sending media releases out.

Why?

Recently many journalists found themselves out of work. This means there are fewer journalists doing more work and those journalists have less time to thoroughly research stories.

So, if you can get a good media release together – something that gives them exactly what they need, exactly the way they need it – you have a much better chance of getting a run, maybe now more than ever before.

Wordsmith
    Up
    Profit Booster, post: 155410 wrote:
    That’s why I love this place, getting the inside scoop from a journalist on what works.

I’ve done a few press releases and had moderate success, but who and what is the best way to approach a publication to get your press release firstly read then published?

Cheers,

James

A good question and one that is asked so regularly I actually developed a ‘distribution instruction’ document to accompany the press kits I produce!

It is quite a lengthy document – probably too long to share here – covering timing and rookie mistakes – what they are and how to avoid them – but perhaps the most important of them all is establishing contact and maintaining that contact. Remember, journalists are all about contacts too!

Call the media outlet and ask who the best journalist to speak to would be. Most people try for the editor, but in reality they seldom write stories –they do page layout, headlines, assign some stories, sub pages, etc – so it is much better to establish and maintain contact with a journalist.

Ask them for their direct email address and make sure you get the spelling of their name right. I say this because I was usually less inclined to continue reading if the person had spelt my name correctly in the email address (Kirsty) and then opened the conversation with ‘Hi Kristy’.

The Barefoot Marketer
    • Total posts: 61
    Up

Thanks Kristy :)

Only kidding. Thanks Kirsty will take your suggestions on board, would also love to check out your press kit if that’s possible.

Cheers,

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

It really depends on how you define “success”.

Is success to you getting published, getting readership or getting calls from prospective clients?

The reason i ask is you will find people who get published and get none or only a handful of phone calls.

The astute marketers have a systematic approach and end up getting tens, if not, hundreds of qualified leads.

They do so because they get the reader to optin or sign up for more information that could not be covered due to insufficient space.

The request for more info is followed up by an auto responder drip feed system with interesting information and soft offers along the way.

so as you can see, press release can be a powerful tactic if applied as part of an overall marketing strategy.

The key is that the press release is just a medium. you still need a lead generation and conversion system to get meaningful results.

It’s a lot of work once and then it works on auto pilot with minimum supervision.

Wordsmith
    Up
    Profit Booster, post: 155427 wrote:
    Thanks Kristy :)

Only kidding. Thanks Kirsty will take your suggestions on board, would also love to check out your press kit if that’s possible.

Cheers,

Feel free to check out my website – link is in the signature – and get in touch via email if you’d like.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.