Home – New Forums Marketing mastery How to approach local Stockists / Boutiques

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Divya R
    • Total posts: 44
    Up
    ::

Hello All,

I am a Fashion Designer from Melbourne and my label should be out next month. As this is my first line I am not very sure of how to approach prospects and as we all know it could be very daunting at the same time.

I would like to know what Fashion Boutiques like to see? What could I offer them and how I could offer them?

If anyone can suggest anything? I would really appreciate it. Cheers

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

Best way is to put some samples in a bag/carrier and start visiting a few. It will take maybe 4 visits to get the clear direction of what they need/expect.

Be prepared to make some sales as well….so have some process in place – COD, account, consignment….

King
    Up

Best way is to put some samples in a bag/carrier and start visiting a few. It will take maybe 4 visits to get the clear direction of what they need/expect.

Be prepared to make some sales as well….so have some process in place – COD, account, consignment….

SophieH
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

If you are not going to distribute via an agent, one thing you could do is create an email and specifically target each boutique. If the boutique is online, email them, if they have a physical store mail them a letter outlining your brand (use a press release if you have one), your products and why you think your range would sit well with their retail store. Address the email/letter personally to the buyer or the owner if you can.

If you haven’t already, create a rangebook of your clothing and add in wholesale and retail prices. Buyers like to see prices, materials, trends and inspirations.

The more professional your letter and images are, the more chance you will have!

The letter should also outline where you are located and when the buyer can come in to view your samples. If you don’t have a showroom or an office, it can be a great idea to hire out a hotel room and set up there.

You can email me at [email protected] if you would like to discuss further, I own an online boutique :)

SophieH
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

If you are not going to distribute via an agent, one thing you could do is create an email and specifically target each boutique. If the boutique is online, email them, if they have a physical store mail them a letter outlining your brand (use a press release if you have one), your products and why you think your range would sit well with their retail store. Address the email/letter personally to the buyer or the owner if you can.

If you haven’t already, create a rangebook of your clothing and add in wholesale and retail prices. Buyers like to see prices, materials, trends and inspirations.

The more professional your letter and images are, the more chance you will have!

The letter should also outline where you are located and when the buyer can come in to view your samples. If you don’t have a showroom or an office, it can be a great idea to hire out a hotel room and set up there.

You can email me at [email protected] if you would like to discuss further, I own an online boutique :)

King
    Up

My experience with shoe shops is you have you go to them. Emailing, letters etc won’t cut it. Most are too busy, and have other suppliers physically coming into the store, to be wooed by anything less than you standing in front of them. You cannot even ring and make an appointment…they don’t know in advance how many customers are going to be in the store. Be prepared to stand to one side and wait for 30 mins if they are busy, and for them to dash off and serve if needed.

It might mean a lot of km travelled if outside a metro area, but it’s got to be done!!

King
    Up

My experience with shoe shops is you have you go to them. Emailing, letters etc won’t cut it. Most are too busy, and have other suppliers physically coming into the store, to be wooed by anything less than you standing in front of them. You cannot even ring and make an appointment…they don’t know in advance how many customers are going to be in the store. Be prepared to stand to one side and wait for 30 mins if they are busy, and for them to dash off and serve if needed.

It might mean a lot of km travelled if outside a metro area, but it’s got to be done!!

Divya R
    Up

Thank you so much for your advice Sophie, that really helps. I am noting down all the key points and I would love to discuss this further with you, will send you an email shortly.

Thanks for your time.

Divya

Divya R
    Up

Thank you so much for your advice Sophie, that really helps. I am noting down all the key points and I would love to discuss this further with you, will send you an email shortly.

Thanks for your time.

Divya

Divya R
    Up

Thanks King. I am prepared to be as tough as I can and willing to give it my best shot.

Divya R
    Up

Thanks King. I am prepared to be as tough as I can and willing to give it my best shot.

King
    Up

Good on you.

It can be demoralizing at times with shop shop owners. Some are pretty blunt and rude (and people reckon I am HA! get out to the real world ;) ) but all have bits of info that add up to making your next call/method of dealing better. And the hardest ones can end up being you most loyal buyers.

King
    Up

Good on you.

It can be demoralizing at times with shop shop owners. Some are pretty blunt and rude (and people reckon I am HA! get out to the real world ;) ) but all have bits of info that add up to making your next call/method of dealing better. And the hardest ones can end up being you most loyal buyers.

hannahcamidg3
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

My husband used to design shirts 5 years ago and he wanted to do the same as you are planning. What he did is that he tried to schedule an appointment with the online boutique and send some samples. It’s best if you can meet with the execs personally. Usually these boutiques are open to new products being sold on their site. But you have to consider too that they may ask you to lower the price so that they can make bigger profit. Then again, it still depends on which boutique you’re going to make a deal with so it is still best to see them personally.

You might want to check out Designer Forum’s Boutiques. They have some pretty nifty product line there. Not sure if they’re accepting collaborators though. :)

hannahcamidg3
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

My husband used to design shirts 5 years ago and he wanted to do the same as you are planning. What he did is that he tried to schedule an appointment with the online boutique and send some samples. It’s best if you can meet with the execs personally. Usually these boutiques are open to new products being sold on their site. But you have to consider too that they may ask you to lower the price so that they can make bigger profit. Then again, it still depends on which boutique you’re going to make a deal with so it is still best to see them personally.

You might want to check out Designer Forum’s Boutiques. They have some pretty nifty product line there. Not sure if they’re accepting collaborators though. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.