Home – New Forums Marketing mastery How to approach schools/ kinders to advertise?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Honey1
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

I have started a talent agency for kids aged 4-16 in Geelong as we do not have one, however my newspaper advertising isn’t bringing in many enquiries.
    I am getting some kids from the local drama studio where my own kids go but still need to expand my directory of kids.
    As parents, especially mums are my target audience, I was wondering if anyone has contacted or gone to schools/kinders to ask about placing an ad in their newsletter or on their noticeboard.
    How do I approach them? Personally, phone, email? I would love to hear about any experiences you may have had or any suggestions.

Kind Regard
    Anna

amjtalentagency.com.au

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

In Brisbane we have a magazine that is distributed to cafes throughout all parts of the city and outer suburbs. I am not sure if there is anything similar there, but if there is you could always advertise there.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Hi,

Get a list of all the schools in Geelong, ring them and ask how to advertise.

They will be glad to tell you.

You website is not working – thought I better let you know.

Honey1
    Up

I had finished compiling a list of schools and kindergartens this evening and then the thinking began, and so thought why not post on FS. There must be someone who is thinking more clearly than I am at the moment!

Thanks
    Anna

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

Can’t help with your query but I did have a look at your site, you’ve got this print output on your homepage;

0 ms “Content is going to be viewed” has been invoked.
    0.079 ms Executing the rule “Signup redirect” on rule set “Content is going to be viewed”
    3.277 ms Condition “Execute custom PHP code” evaluated to FALSE.
    3.334 ms Evaluation of “Content is going to be viewed” has been finished.

Looks like server output to me, might need to check it out.

Honey1
    Up

Thanks Matthew for letting me know about the website.
    Everything was working fine, but as soon as they make changes something else is affected and so the saga continues…….

angela123
    • Total posts: 310
    Up

At our school, the school newsletter is printed by a company that displays advertising for local businesses on the backpage. I think there about 16 ads to the page. They charge about $40 per school term, which is great if that is your target market, you almost have a captive audience :)

Snakeman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

The Kinder market, like other “school” type markets is interesting in that it is heavily saturated with advertisers.
    We advertised in a magazine called “Melbourne’s child” for some years (there are others by the same people in other states) and of these magazines, this was by far the most widely distributed, read and so on.
    They also charged about 3 times as much for ads as the lesser magazines.
    It circulates in Geelong.
    When we started to advertise in 2004 the ads pulled a good response, but this declined as internet took over.
    About two years ago, the ads were running at a loss in that revenue was less than the income.
    We then rejigged the advert using our recently registered trademark “Australia’s best reptiles” and the lady’s running the mag refused to run it as “none of your competitors who advertise will get any more inquiries”, so we mutually agreed to part company.
    They saw it as a case of burning off one advertiser (us) or about 6 others and they went with keeping the six, (now down to about 3 anyway).
    The ladies running the magazine run it quite ruthlessly as a business and by various means inclduing placements of ads and the like, try to split business between like advertisers, making sure no one actually domninates the others, as they want to keep all advertising.
    Having said that, the numbers are going against them. From about 9 pages of “party” adverts, in 2006, they now run about 3 per issue, showing that other advertisers found the cost didn’t justify the return.
    The magazine is usually thinner than it used to be as a result.
    I have found that to get business from kinders it is best to simply go to them door to door so to speak.
    We don’t do this as we are too busy, but on a few occasions when I’ve had time to burn between bookings in various places, I find that one in three kinders I turn up at will book a reptile show with us on the spot!
    There are no other ways I know to get kinder business this quick.
    All the best

spinninghill
    • Total posts: 345
    Up

Hey there. Perhaps try joining a few Mums groups online – including Facebook. There are heaps of them. Don’t spam them of course, but rather participate.

Good luck

Michael

KB
    • Total posts: 70
    Up

Hi Anna

As a Mum who is very heavily involved with the kinder/school arena, I would definitely suggest approaching them individually and asking how best to advertise with them. Smaller schools in particular tend to produce in-house and usually have some form of advertising, particularly relating to school holiday programs, etc – so don’t forget them! I would also suggest having an email ready to go including and ad that can be placed directly into the newsletter and a bit of info about who you are and what you do.

Good luck
    Kathryn

OnlineGourmetFood
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

Hi, Our school advertises local businesses in the newsletter for a reasonable fee per term. They produce their newsletter in-house & are happy to receive enquiries via phone or email.
    Hope this helps:)

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

I am interested in how the OP got on. Can we have an update?

trymyluck
    • Total posts: 41
    Up

Definitely approach the schools directly.

KidsActivitiesDelivered
    • Total posts: 50
    Up

Just wanted to say thank you to Snakeman – I’ve always wondered about Melbourne Child’s effectiveness (the price always made me balk) That was really, really useful advice, thank you.

thebrowniebar
    • Total posts: 19
    Up
    KidsActivitiesDelivered, post: 206645 wrote:
    Just wanted to say thank you to Snakeman – I’ve always wondered about Melbourne Child’s effectiveness (the price always made me balk) That was really, really useful advice, thank you.

Would like to thank Snakeman too! We were just having a look at Melbourne Child and then saw this. Much appreciated.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.