Home – New Forums Marketing mastery How to Build an Email List | Online Marketing Explained

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gots
    • Total posts: 54
    Up
    ::

This thread explains how to build an email subscriber list and an online marketing plan.

How to build a list and what is a list. I am going to continually update this thread adding information that will help Flying Solo members build their own email lists. I’m sure you’ve heard “The money is in the List”. It is common among marketers that for every subscriber on your list is worth $1 to you a month. This may be a little high but that’s what’s commonly used. Now lets look at an example. Lets say you have 10,000 (very achievable) subscribers on your list, lets say you send out an email to your list promoting a product. Conversion rates vary from 0% — 10% or higher but lets use 2% to be conservative, so you email your list and 2% buy from you, that’s 200 buyers, let’s say the product you are selling is worth $27 that’s $5,400 per mailing…… And you can do this more than once per month. We’ll get into what to sell, how many times should I email, what to email your list later but I wanted to grab your attention.. I hope I have..

I’ll start by explaining what an email list is: An email list is a list of email address’s. The email address’s are saved in an AR (Auto Responder) and the address’s become what’s commonly referred to as your list.

How are the emails saved: There are many different techniques to gather email address’s and build a list but the most common would be using a squeeze page. A Squeeze page is a webpage that is specifically designed to gather emails by usually offering a product or service for free and in return you have to enter your name and email , this is done via an opt-in form. An opt-in form is linked to your AR and when you click the button (the button may say; Click Here for Instant Access, Download Now etc) at the bottom of the optin form your email address is automatically saved to the AR.
    This is an example of a squeeze page with an opt-in form here. It’s my squeeze page and I am offering a free report of how you can make money from outsourcing.

If you are selling online you should be asking your customers to enter their info, including email address in the check-out process. Then you can offer more services to them later as they are a buyer. More on this later.

After someone opt-ins, their address is saved in your AR and you can email them now whenever you like. It’s very important to follow the Can Spam rules and guidelines and this information can be found here.

As for which AR to use? I use Aweber as I find the program has more options to customise the process and the double opt-in saves people from complaining that you are spamming them. Double opt-in is when someone fills out your op-tin form, before they are added to your list they are sent another email to confirm their subscription. I’m sure most of you will have at sometime opted into someones list and were sent an email to confirm. Most providers have the double opt-in option but I still prefer to use Aweber. They have a free trial for $1 for the first month and then its $19 per month for the basic version.

Now, you need a squeeze page and you need something to give away. I’m not going to explain how to build a squeeze page here unless there’s demand and i’ll do that in a different thread, but I will talk about what to give away. When you are talking about what to give away there are 2 main options. Your own product, usually an eBook, or another marketers product in the form of PLR, MRR etc. I’m only going to talk about your own product as it’s all I do. You need to build trust with your subscribers and giving them a PLR product is not building trust in my opinion. I’m not saying that is doesn’t work but I prefer to give away my own stuff. Now the question is what to giveaway? This can be tricky but if you do a little research you will be stacked with ideas of what to giveaway.

Firstly you need to decide on your niche and keep everything relevant. There’s no point in created a free report on knitting and then trying to sell pavers to your list. This simply won’t work. What ever niche you decide, you need to stay relevant. Of course you can build as many lists in different niches as you like but keep any marketing relevant. Niche selection is a whole thread in itself but as this is posted in the Websites and Online Marketing sub section, lets just focus on the Internet Marketing niche. Ideally in any niche including Internet Marketing you need to enter a sub niche, like facebook, Adsense, SMM or SEO and not take on the whole niche. It’s easier to become an expert in a sub niche than a whole niche.

Product creation:
    As this is probably the first time a subscriber will read what you have written you need to take some time and create a report a full of value. You want to engage the reader, offer them value so they remain on your list without opting out.
    If you have been around Internet Marketing for a while think about what you have learnt and what you can offer. You’ll be surprised what you already know and more than likely will be able to come up with many ideas. If you are new to IM (Internet Marketing) that’s not a problem you’re just going to have to do some research. And for research all you need is Google. You only need to create a report of around 2,000 to 3,000 words and that will be fine. There’s no limit, but I wouldn’t write any less. I do all my own writing but I outsource the eBook covers.

Now you have your squeeze page and product its time to get your squeeze page in front of people so they opt-in. I’ll call this traffic..

Cheers
    Bob Gots

Bob Gots
    Up

Continued..

Traffic

Ok time to talk about traffic. This is one of the hardest parts of building a list and Internet Marketing in general. More traffic = more subscribers, sales, clicks etc.
    Some marketers will accept $1 investment to gain 1 subscriber. If this is acceptable to you it will cost you $10,000 to build a 10,000 subscriber list. When you consider the return you will gain after building the 10,000 strong list, sure you may think this is acceptable. But for me there are better ways.

Traffic methods to drive traffic to your squeeze page:

-PPC: Pay Per Click, you can build a list using PPC but it can be very costly. You should have a sales funnel in place to get your investment back so you at least break even. I’ll talk more about sales funnels down the page.

-SEO: Great way to generate traffic but takes time to rank, SEO is a long term strategy

-Social Media: Can generate instant traffic is you have already have followers. Simply post information about your offer with a link to your squeeze page.

-Joint Venture Giveaways: Excellent method to grow your list and also great for downloading loads of free stuff including eBooks, software, and memberships. They have been used for a long time and when you’re starting out they’re the best option to grow your list as they offer the best ROI (return on investment). There are 2 sides to JV Giveaways, contributors and standard members. Contributors join to grow their list and standard members can download loads of free stuff. Most events screen the free stuff added so the quality remains high. To be a contributor you need your own product to contribute. This can be PLR but as I have already mentioned you are better off taking the extra time and creating your own product. As a contributor, when someone downloads your free gift they are added to your list. Contributors have the option of upgrading which usually costs between $7 and $17 depending on the event. As a paid member you can add more gifts, between 3 and 5. More gifts on offer, the higher the probability your gifts will be downloaded, more downloads = more subscribers. I am currently hosting my own JV Giveaway Event. If you have a gift to contribute, and you want to join my giveaway and grow your own list, you can today by clicking here.
    As a standard member you can download as much free stuff as you like. My own JV Giveaway Event opens today 28/4. If you are unfamiliar with how the events work click here and have a look around. And get some free stuff while you’re there.

-Solo Ads: Solo ads are where you buy clicks from another marketer. The other marketer has their own list and they send your offer to their subscribers. The marketer will email their list until the number of clicks is reached. As the Solo seller you can monitor the number of clicks you send through your AR. Solos do cost money though. Solos vary in price but you can expect to pay around $30 for 100 clicks. So you would need to convert @ 30% to achieve $1 per subscriber. You need a squeeze page that converts!! And you need a good sales funnel. More on this later.

-Ad Swaps: Ad swaps are exactly as the name suggests. You swap you offer with another marketers offer. The process is similar to solo ads except instead of paying for the solo you are offering the same number of clicks to the other marketer. You send an email to your list promoting the other marketers offer and they do the same in turn. Obviously you need a list to be able to swap. Swaps can be detrimental to your list if you’re not carful. You are sending an email to your list promoting an offer and you need to make sure the offer is of a high standard. Your subscribers may associate you with a crappy offer and unsubscribe. So make sure you screen any offer you send to your list. Swaps, if used carefully are great for adding new subscribers to your list, but you need a list to take part in swapping.

In summary JV Giveaway Events are the best option for generating traffic to your squeeze page which convert into subscribers.

Sales Funnels:

Ok time to talk about sales funnels and this is where the money is made…
    So now you have your squeeze page and your free product, now you need another product that you can sell. It can be anything you like from an eBook to Software etc. As an example lets say your free product is an eBook about FB Marketing, now as a paid product you could create a video series that explains everything in the eBook or you could create your own app to make live easier for the user. The options are endless.

Sales Funnel Example 1: The user lands on your squeeze page => opt-in => confirmation page => OTO (one time offer) => thank you page.

Example 2 : The user lands on your squeeze page => opt-in => confirmation page => OTO (one time offer), user clicks no to OTO => Down sell page (this page sells the same product but at a discount, or the product can be different) => thank you page.

Example 3 : The user lands on your squeeze page => opt-in => confirmation page => OTO (one time offer), => OTO 2 (OTO 2 is usually higher value than the first OTO) => thank you page.

Example 4 : The user lands on your squeeze page => opt-in => confirmation page => OTO (one time offer), => OTO 2, user clicks no to OTO 2 => Down sell page => thank you page.

There’s no right and wrong way to can create your own funnel. Use the examples above or mix it up to what ever you like.. You can add memberships, up sells, down sells etc.

The above examples can be spread out. You don’t have to put the oto in front of a new subscriber straight away. After they opt-in, create an email series to promote your paid product. A 3 part series is usually ok. So after they opt-in send them another email in a day or so letting them know that you have something very interesting that they will love and will make them loads of cash etc, 3 days later send another email warming them up further, and on day 4 email again but this time theres a link to your product and the sales funnels continues. This is usually a great option because trying to sell to a new sub straight away can annoy them and they may unsubscribe. Another option is to give your new subs another free unannounced gift in email 1 or 2 then start the promotion of your paid product.. This builds trust and deters them from unsubscribing. Set up the emails in your AR once and it takes care of sending them for you.

Your sales funnel needs to convert. It doesn’t matter if you hit them up straight away with an OTO or wait a few days and build the relationship, then present the offer. Try both and see what works best for you. If your sales funnel works it makes it easier on the pocket to buy solo’s and other paid options.

Lets look at the numbers, say you buy a 100 click solo for $30, you need to make $30 to get your money back. Of the 100 clicks lets assume you convert 5% into buyers, 5% of 100 is 5 buyers, 5 buyers x $7 product = $35. Now you are in a small profit. Of course your product could be a higher value and you can add, up sells, down sells, memberships etc. If your product sells for $47 and still converts at 5%, thats 5 buyers x $47 = $235. Thats a tidy $205 profit from one solo.. If you have a membership site that you charge $27 a month for, you will be making $5 x $27 = $135 per month from that 1 solo ad. My point is, if you know your product converts you can build your list buying solo ads and they can be very profitable. Buy small solo’s to make sure everything is working as planned and then build from there. There’s no limit to how many solo’s you can do.

JV Giveaways still offer the best ROI to build your list but Solo’s are great for building your list and can be very profitable. You can join my own JV Giveaway event by clicking here. The event opens today, 28/. Currently there are 161 free gifts waiting for you to download… I have called up a few favours from my Internet Marketing buddies and they have agreed to offer some of their best money making products that you can download for free. They have made $1,000’s using these exact same products and you can have them all for free. Enjoy.

In the next update we’ll talk about how to manage your list.

Feel free to ask any questions about the above…

When i’m finished this thread, there will be no reason you can’t build your own 10,000+ list….

Cheers
    Bob Gots

Bob Gots
    Up

Continued..

Traffic

Ok time to talk about traffic. This is one of the hardest parts of building a list and Internet Marketing in general. More traffic = more subscribers, sales, clicks etc.
    Some marketers will accept $1 investment to gain 1 subscriber. If this is acceptable to you it will cost you $10,000 to build a 10,000 subscriber list. When you consider the return you will gain after building the 10,000 strong list, sure you may think this is acceptable. But for me there are better ways.

Traffic methods to drive traffic to your squeeze page:

-PPC: Pay Per Click, you can build a list using PPC but it can be very costly. You should have a sales funnel in place to get your investment back so you at least break even. I’ll talk more about sales funnels down the page.

-SEO: Great way to generate traffic but takes time to rank, SEO is a long term strategy

-Social Media: Can generate instant traffic is you have already have followers. Simply post information about your offer with a link to your squeeze page.

-Joint Venture Giveaways: Excellent method to grow your list and also great for downloading loads of free stuff including eBooks, software, and memberships. They have been used for a long time and when you’re starting out they’re the best option to grow your list as they offer the best ROI (return on investment). There are 2 sides to JV Giveaways, contributors and standard members. Contributors join to grow their list and standard members can download loads of free stuff. Most events screen the free stuff added so the quality remains high. To be a contributor you need your own product to contribute. This can be PLR but as I have already mentioned you are better off taking the extra time and creating your own product. As a contributor, when someone downloads your free gift they are added to your list. Contributors have the option of upgrading which usually costs between $7 and $17 depending on the event. As a paid member you can add more gifts, between 3 and 5. More gifts on offer, the higher the probability your gifts will be downloaded, more downloads = more subscribers. I am currently hosting my own JV Giveaway Event. If you have a gift to contribute, and you want to join my giveaway and grow your own list, you can today by clicking here.
    As a standard member you can download as much free stuff as you like. My own JV Giveaway Event opens today 28/4. If you are unfamiliar with how the events work click here and have a look around. And get some free stuff while you’re there.

-Solo Ads: Solo ads are where you buy clicks from another marketer. The other marketer has their own list and they send your offer to their subscribers. The marketer will email their list until the number of clicks is reached. As the Solo seller you can monitor the number of clicks you send through your AR. Solos do cost money though. Solos vary in price but you can expect to pay around $30 for 100 clicks. So you would need to convert @ 30% to achieve $1 per subscriber. You need a squeeze page that converts!! And you need a good sales funnel. More on this later.

-Ad Swaps: Ad swaps are exactly as the name suggests. You swap you offer with another marketers offer. The process is similar to solo ads except instead of paying for the solo you are offering the same number of clicks to the other marketer. You send an email to your list promoting the other marketers offer and they do the same in turn. Obviously you need a list to be able to swap. Swaps can be detrimental to your list if you’re not carful. You are sending an email to your list promoting an offer and you need to make sure the offer is of a high standard. Your subscribers may associate you with a crappy offer and unsubscribe. So make sure you screen any offer you send to your list. Swaps, if used carefully are great for adding new subscribers to your list, but you need a list to take part in swapping.

In summary JV Giveaway Events are the best option for generating traffic to your squeeze page which convert into subscribers.

Sales Funnels:

Ok time to talk about sales funnels and this is where the money is made…
    So now you have your squeeze page and your free product, now you need another product that you can sell. It can be anything you like from an eBook to Software etc. As an example lets say your free product is an eBook about FB Marketing, now as a paid product you could create a video series that explains everything in the eBook or you could create your own app to make live easier for the user. The options are endless.

Sales Funnel Example 1: The user lands on your squeeze page => opt-in => confirmation page => OTO (one time offer) => thank you page.

Example 2 : The user lands on your squeeze page => opt-in => confirmation page => OTO (one time offer), user clicks no to OTO => Down sell page (this page sells the same product but at a discount, or the product can be different) => thank you page.

Example 3 : The user lands on your squeeze page => opt-in => confirmation page => OTO (one time offer), => OTO 2 (OTO 2 is usually higher value than the first OTO) => thank you page.

Example 4 : The user lands on your squeeze page => opt-in => confirmation page => OTO (one time offer), => OTO 2, user clicks no to OTO 2 => Down sell page => thank you page.

There’s no right and wrong way to can create your own funnel. Use the examples above or mix it up to what ever you like.. You can add memberships, up sells, down sells etc.

The above examples can be spread out. You don’t have to put the oto in front of a new subscriber straight away. After they opt-in, create an email series to promote your paid product. A 3 part series is usually ok. So after they opt-in send them another email in a day or so letting them know that you have something very interesting that they will love and will make them loads of cash etc, 3 days later send another email warming them up further, and on day 4 email again but this time theres a link to your product and the sales funnels continues. This is usually a great option because trying to sell to a new sub straight away can annoy them and they may unsubscribe. Another option is to give your new subs another free unannounced gift in email 1 or 2 then start the promotion of your paid product.. This builds trust and deters them from unsubscribing. Set up the emails in your AR once and it takes care of sending them for you.

Your sales funnel needs to convert. It doesn’t matter if you hit them up straight away with an OTO or wait a few days and build the relationship, then present the offer. Try both and see what works best for you. If your sales funnel works it makes it easier on the pocket to buy solo’s and other paid options.

Lets look at the numbers, say you buy a 100 click solo for $30, you need to make $30 to get your money back. Of the 100 clicks lets assume you convert 5% into buyers, 5% of 100 is 5 buyers, 5 buyers x $7 product = $35. Now you are in a small profit. Of course your product could be a higher value and you can add, up sells, down sells, memberships etc. If your product sells for $47 and still converts at 5%, thats 5 buyers x $47 = $235. Thats a tidy $205 profit from one solo.. If you have a membership site that you charge $27 a month for, you will be making $5 x $27 = $135 per month from that 1 solo ad. My point is, if you know your product converts you can build your list buying solo ads and they can be very profitable. Buy small solo’s to make sure everything is working as planned and then build from there. There’s no limit to how many solo’s you can do.

JV Giveaways still offer the best ROI to build your list but Solo’s are great for building your list and can be very profitable. You can join my own JV Giveaway event by clicking here. The event opens today, 28/. Currently there are 161 free gifts waiting for you to download… I have called up a few favours from my Internet Marketing buddies and they have agreed to offer some of their best money making products that you can download for free. They have made $1,000’s using these exact same products and you can have them all for free. Enjoy.

In the next update we’ll talk about how to manage your list.

Feel free to ask any questions about the above…

When i’m finished this thread, there will be no reason you can’t build your own 10,000+ list….

Cheers
    Bob Gots

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Lots to read here
    – thanks for putting this together.

I needs to be mentioned that this type of list building and advice is really only suited to a certain type of niche.

Using a squeeze page and downloadable products would not be suitable for a lot of businesses here on FS. Unless you are tying to become an affiliate marketeer, get involved in MLM or ‘get rich by only working 4 hours a day’ type of products you should take this advice with a grain a salt.

If I see: Get your free report how I made $700 per week, was $423 PLUS 10 tips to getting rich the cooperate fat cats don’t wont you to know, plus etc etc I run a mile.

MatthewKeath
    Up

Lots to read here

I needs to be mentioned that this type of list building and advice is really only suited to a certain type of niche.

Using a squeeze page and downloadable products would not be suitable for a lot of businesses here on FS. Unless you are tying to become an affiliate marketeer, get involved in MLM or ‘get rich by only working 4 hours a day’ type of products you should take this advice with a grain a salt.

If I see: Get your free report how I made $700 per week, was $423 PLUS 10 tips to getting rich the cooperate fat cats don’t wont you to know, plus etc etc I run a mile.

T J Madigan
    • Total posts: 255
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 114440 wrote:
    Lots to read here

A squeeze page will benefit pretty much any business if done correctly.

T J Madigan
    Up
    Lots to read here

A squeeze page will benefit pretty much any business if done correctly.

MatthewKeath
    Up
    T J Madigan, post: 114444 wrote:
    A squeeze page will benefit pretty much any business if done correctly.I respectfully disagree. If this was the case the Internet would be nothing but squeeze pages.

By squeeze page, I mean one like in Bobs sig.

MatthewKeath
    Up
    T J Madigan, post: 114444 wrote:
    A squeeze page will benefit pretty much any business if done correctly.I respectfully disagree. If this was the case the Internet would be nothing but squeeze pages.

By squeeze page, I mean one like in Bobs sig.

Bob Gots
    Up
    Lots to read here

Hi Matthew,

A squeeze page can be used in any niche from knitting to how to paint a wall.
    Squeeze pages are used to gather leads, and if used correctly are very powerful marketing tool. By using them correctly you should be offering value to your subscribers, providing a solution to their problem what ever that is.

Sure, I agree that using a squeeze page may not be suitable for all business’s.

I find your reference to Affiliate marketing, MLM and Get Rich working 4 hours a day irrelevant.

Thanks
    Bob Gots

Bob Gots
    Up
    Lots to read here

Hi Matthew,

Squeeze pages are used to gather leads, and if used correctly are very powerful marketing tool. By using them correctly you should be offering value to your subscribers, providing a solution to their problem what ever that is.

Sure, I agree that using a squeeze page may not be suitable for all business’s.

I find your reference to Affiliate marketing, MLM and Get Rich working 4 hours a day irrelevant.

Thanks
    Bob Gots

MatthewKeath
    Up
    Bob Gots, post: 114447 wrote:
    Hi Matthew,

I find your reference to Affiliate marketing, MLM and Get Rich working 4 hours a day irrelevant.Or ‘ I’m revealing an absolutely fool-proof, under-the-radar way (and actually talk about what exactly did I DO – just copy it and you’ll be fine) for you to make income that’ll actually put the so-called gurus to shame’ type of things. The Internet is full of this rubbish, sucking people into their pointless lists in order to flog other low value products.

Squeeze pages may be able to be used withother type of products, but thank god it’s done sparingly or the Internet would be a real pain to navigate.

MatthewKeath
    Up
    Bob Gots, post: 114447 wrote:
    Hi Matthew,

I find your reference to Affiliate marketing, MLM and Get Rich working 4 hours a day irrelevant.Or ‘ I’m revealing an absolutely fool-proof, under-the-radar way (and actually talk about what exactly did I DO – just copy it and you’ll be fine) for you to make income that’ll actually put the so-called gurus to shame’ type of things. The Internet is full of this rubbish, sucking people into their pointless lists in order to flog other low value products.

Squeeze pages may be able to be used withother type of products, but thank god it’s done sparingly or the Internet would be a real pain to navigate.

T J Madigan
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 114449 wrote:
    Or ‘ I’m revealing an absolutely fool-proof, under-the-radar way (and actually talk about what exactly did I DO – just copy it and you’ll be fine) for you to make income that’ll actually put the so-called gurus to shame’ type of things. The Internet is full of this rubbish, sucking people into their pointless lists in order to flog other low value products.

I build direct response websites (squeeze pages) for pretty much all my clients. It is one of the reasons why my clients get more leads than their competition.

T J Madigan
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 114449 wrote:
    Or ‘ I’m revealing an absolutely fool-proof, under-the-radar way (and actually talk about what exactly did I DO – just copy it and you’ll be fine) for you to make income that’ll actually put the so-called gurus to shame’ type of things. The Internet is full of this rubbish, sucking people into their pointless lists in order to flog other low value products.

I build direct response websites (squeeze pages) for pretty much all my clients. It is one of the reasons why my clients get more leads than their competition.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.