Home Forums Money matters How to charge for non GST registered labour

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Bluechips1967
    • Total posts: 5

Hi all,

I’m having difficulty understanding how to charge for non GST labour on a Tax Invoice as a GST registered business. I’ve trawled ATO and don’t understand.

Example:
    A contractor provides an invoice (not a Tax Invoice) for $600, as he is not registered for GST.

A Tax invoice is raised for

Materials: $100 inc. GST
    Labour: $500 inc. GST
    Contractor Labour: $600

Am I required to charge GST on this amount on a Tax Invoice?

Thanks for your input

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,127

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo [USER=115803]@Bluechips1967[/USER] . It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining our community and posting.

Hopefully some helpful members will be along soon with some advice to point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Bluechips1967
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 267152, member: 78928 wrote:
    Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo [USER=115803]@Bluechips1967[/USER] . It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining our community and posting.

Hopefully some helpful members will be along soon with some advice to point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Thanks Paul

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712

Yes, I think that if you are invoicing a customer then you are required to add GST for that labour even though you did not pay it on the labour, just as if you made something out of nothing then sold it to a customer – ie, if you picked up a stick off the ground and then sold it to a customer you would still charge GST on it.
    Not sure I explained it properly but I hope you get the gist. I am not a tax professional though.

beaglebookkeeping
    • Total posts: 9
    Bluechips1967, post: 267150, member: 115803 wrote:
    Hi all,

I’m having difficulty understanding how to charge for non GST labour on a Tax Invoice as a GST registered business. I’ve trawled ATO and don’t understand.

Example:
    A contractor provides an invoice (not a Tax Invoice) for $600, as he is not registered for GST.

A Tax invoice is raised for

Materials: $100 inc. GST
    Labour: $500 inc. GST
    Contractor Labour: $600

Am I required to charge GST on this amount on a Tax Invoice?

Thanks for your input

Yes, if you are registered for GST then you need to add GST onto whatever you are charging in your Tax Invoices regardless of whether you had to pay GST on it yourself.

I hope this helps.

Paul – FS Concierge

Just out of practicality, I always think in terms of an ex-GST price.

I overwhelmingly deal with commercial transactions, so for the most part, the GST is not a factor for my business or those I deal with.

So a $100.00 item that includes GST, costs my bottom line $90.90 – it is therefore “more accurate” for me to think of the item as costing $90.90 than thinking of it as costing $100 including GST.

To your example above, I would think of it like this:

Materials: $90.90 + GST
    Labour: $454.54 + GST
    Contractor Labour: $600 + GST

Edited to correct Contracted Labour mistake.

Cheers.

Bluechips1967
    beaglebookkeeping, post: 267157, member: 51317 wrote:
    Yes, if you are registered for GST then you need to add GST onto whatever you are charging in your Tax Invoices regardless of whether you had to pay GST on it yourself.

I hope this helps.

Thank you. I thought this may be the case. I appreciate your feedback.

Bluechips1967
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 267160, member: 78928 wrote:
    Just out of practicality, I always think in terms of an ex-GST price.

I overwhelmingly deal with commercial transactions, so for the most part, the GST is not a factor for my business or those I deal with.

So a $100.00 item that includes GST, costs my bottom line $90.90 – it is therefore “more accurate” for me to think of the item as costing $90.90 than thinking of it as costing $100 including GST.

Contractor Labour: $545.45 + GST

Cheers.

Thanks Paul

Bluechips1967
    Rowan@quaotic, post: 267156, member: 28171 wrote:
    Yes, I think that if you are invoicing a customer then you are required to add GST for that labour even though you did not pay it on the labour, just as if you made something out of nothing then sold it to a customer – ie, if you picked up a stick off the ground and then sold it to a customer you would still charge GST on it.
    Not sure I explained it properly but I hope you get the gist. I am not a tax professional though.

Thanks Rowan

Paul – FS Concierge
    Bluechips1967, post: 267163, member: 115803 wrote:
    Thanks Paul
    I made a mistake and have made an edit to correct.

Using your example, this is how I calculate your numbers.

Contractor Labour: $600 + GST

JamesMillar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,676

The best default position would be for you to charge GST on your entire service as generally speaking you are making a taxable supply and liable for 1/11th of all proceeds. This avoids you being out of pocket.

However…….there is another occasional way to treat this and it relates to the concept of agency. Generally this is around more obvious disbursements and it comes down to the transaction structure and terms and conditions. For example you can arrange a third party to supply your customer and you can collect funds on behalf of the third party. The supply is not being made by you because of the agency relationship and therefore this transaction and GST does not relate to you.

Note the use of agency in GST is less common and requires careful consideration of transaction structure and agreements.

BUT

It can be very important if you are approaching a particular tax threshold (lets say you were close to exceeding the $2m small business entity threshold) because you may be able to legally recast transactions to keep your revenue lower and keep access to all of the tax benefits associated with being a tax SBE.

Some light reading here https://www.ato.gov.au/law/view/document?DocID=GST/GSTR200037/NAT/ATO/00001#targetText=GST payable and input tax,GST payable on the supplies.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.