Home – New Forums Logistics How to collect shipment from China

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    adrn
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi,

First time post here :)

I just recently contacted a supplier through alibaba. He is able to ship products around 70kg for free by sea freight to Sydney Port.

The cost of the goods is < $1000 so I guess I can avoid paying duty and gst. I’m just wondering, what do I need to do to collect the shipment? Do I need to use a shipping agent in Australia? Also, any tips to make sure that the supplier deliver? He takes paypal / credit card so I guess that’s quite secure as I can chargeback credit card if the supplier is dodgy.. Thanks,

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up

Get in touch with Cat from Global Logistics and she’ll be able to help you.

Be weary of “free” as sea freight has lots of different terms for shipping. The actual “shipping” as in on the boat to Australia only costs $35 or so per cubic metre usually, the costs are in the customs and document handling.

You’ll need to know the cubed weight before Cat can help you though.

Good luck!

Maclean

adrn
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Hi, thanks for your reply. I think they don’t charge extra from their end. I would expect to pay some fees here.

How much do you reckon an agent will cost and what sort of services they provide, eg: clearing customs, preparing documents etc..?

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up

Cat will handle all of that for you.

As an example, I come to an agreement with a supplier in China, I pay them for supply and then I introduce them to Cat.

She handles documentation, clearing, warehousing and transport to Canberra for me.

So all I do is negotiate the cost for products with the supplier and then go and pick them up from the depot in Canberra, Global Logistics handles everything else and they are by far the easiest to work with and the cheapest I’ve found as well.

I can’t give you a cost because its all different depending on what you’re importing and how big it is. It usually costs me $700-$1000 in freight, customs, tax etc for 1-2 cubic metres valued at $2000-$3000 from Ningbo, ShenZhen etc

Usually by sea you’re looking at a minimum of about $500 in customs, documents etc.

Give Cat a call tomorrow and she’ll be able to give you an exact cost.

Maclean

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    adrn, post: 198375 wrote:
    Hi,

First time post here :)

I just recently contacted a supplier through alibaba. He is able to ship products around 70kg for free by sea freight to Sydney Port.

The cost of the goods is < $1000 so I guess I can avoid paying duty and gst. I’m just wondering, what do I need to do to collect the shipment? Do I need to use a shipping agent in Australia? Also, any tips to make sure that the supplier deliver? He takes paypal / credit card so I guess that’s quite secure as I can chargeback credit card if the supplier is dodgy.. Thanks, They are probably referring to FOB. You are best to get this first shipment done through a freight forwarding agent. There are kajillions of hidden charges in shipping. I know, I imported from Vietnam for 10 years. Nothing is free! Pay a forwarder to do this one and get it right. It will probably cost you about $110 for them to process it for you. Jenny

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.