Home – New Forums Marketing mastery How to create back links to our websites?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Tim Davies
    • Total posts: 45
    Up
    ::
    Aidan, post: 49824 wrote:
    Hi again,

Just to follow up on John’s comment – I don’t know if your question was for any particular website but would echo the sentiment there is some excellent advice here.

As for whether you will actually need links or not – it really depends on what search phrases you are hoping to get ranked for. If you are trying to get ranked for search phrases that are not very competitive then you’ll probably not need many links, if indeed any. Good content with good titles and getting Google to crawl your site is likely to be enough on the non competitive stuff.

If on the other hand you are looking to rank for competitive phrases you will almost certainly need some decent backlinks. Backlinks are a hugely important factor in getting ranked for competitive terms. They help indicate to Google that others find your content to be of value and therefore worthy of a listing.

So if you are trying to get ranked for “advice on importing goods from China” then don’t sweat the backlinks (there is even an article directory in the top 10 for that) but if you’re trying to rank for “new york hotels” you’ll need a stack of good links!

Hope that puts some further perspective on it :)

Hi Aidan,

We’ve definately noticed exactly that. We get some good ranking going on with some of the less popular phrases through our heading in the articles section of the website. Its probably (like you said) learning how to become more competitive in the more frequently used terms (more valuable). I think we’ll get there with time.

Cheers

businesstrader
    • Total posts: 77
    Up

When I first kicked off my link building campaign I researched the top 3 or 4 websites in my niche and found which sites were linking to them, how many external links were on those pages, what anchor text they were using and the relevancy.

If they were quality links I would try and get my link on the exact page.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    shags38, post: 49115 wrote:
    Hey Guys,

I need some help here interpreting some Google Webmaster data…

In the search queries section where it shows avg position – example I have a search term that when I click on the position of 69 it breaks it down to 6 to 10 followed by page 2 followed by page 3+. When I do a G search for the term I find my site on page 6 #5 (#55?). So none of the numbers match but that is understandable, close though 69 vs 55 – Question – what does 6 to 10 mean? it comes up in many of my search terms, and what did page 2 mean given that my site wasn’t there?

Another one shows 6.0 in ave position column then when expanded shows “6 to 10” – actual search is PR 1 #6 which validates the 6.0 but again the first reference is 6 to 10 ??? – another shows 6-10, page 2 but is actually on page 6 ???

I do know what page 3+ means (do some SEO :) )

Is 6 to 10 supposed to mean somewhere between pages 6 and 10 ??

cheers,
    Mike
    Hi Mike

Your Google Webmasters Account is reporting an average ranking position over the last 1 month period for specific search phrases.

Here are some of the parameters that may generate large variations in search results:

Location of searcher
    User’s search history
    All the new Google search setting options – Time, shopping, blogs, etc.
    Site pages deleted from Google index

If much of a site’s traffic is from it’s own staff, then location and user’s search history could introduce a major weighting shift in the average Google rankings.

If you don’t have your personal search results switched off when checking your search results, you will end up with a very skewed picture.

Meaning of “position in search results”

This function won’t make much sense unless you have a search phrase with a lot of click through data in it. If you have enough info, Google will show you its calculated click-throughs to your site when it ranked in each of these search result positions:

Position: #1, #2, #3, #4 or #5
    Position: # 6-10
    2nd page (# 11-20)
    3rd page plus

If your pages only ranked in position 6-10 for the month, Google won’t display the other possiblities.

If you are checking a search phrase that is only used a few thousand times per month and your site ranks #50, the number of impressions (people who viewed the 6th page of results is probably so low that Google won’t report it nor the click throughs to your page). A page that ranks #50 will be included in the “3rd page plus”, results if applicable.

Does this help?

Regs,

JohnW

lutrov
    Participant
    • Total posts: 134
    Up

The best way to build backlinks is to consistently write new content which is worth reading by people. The backlinks will take care of themselves, and not in any artificial way.

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up

lol.

you say that because you are a blogger… but I’m pretty sure, my funeral agency client, can’t write all the content they want and “links” will not appear from other sites, just because their funeral content is simply GREAT.

don’t you think? ;)

lutrov
    Participant
    Up
    seocourse, post: 50023 wrote:
    I’m pretty sure, my funeral agency client, can’t write all the content they want and “links” will not appear from other sites, just because their funeral content is simply GREAT.

I didn’t really understand what you’re trying to say here. Did you mean that people won’t link to quality funeral agency websites like your client? If so, I can’t see why not. Quality content is just that, irrespective of what the business sells.

Sure, your client will have less backlinks than someone selling “happy widgets” but that’s completely natural, considering the nature of your clients business.

But the important thing is that the backlinks your client earns will be REAL backlinks, not artificial ones cooked up as part of some “program” or whatever else you want to call it.

seocourse
    Up

the idea that good quality pools traffic is nice… but is not realistic.

Top quality content is great… just go and check some of the Harvard Uni Blogs… but how many of them just for good content, rank first?

Yes. good content pulls traffic…

But if your tactic is “just by creating good content” to get “natural links”… mmm good luck.

Samh
    • Total posts: 37
    Up

My take.

“Create good content and the back links take care of themselves”

Vs

“You have to actively solicit and create back links!”

Both philosophies are not universally true, both philosophies have some truth in them.

It’s definitely worth thinking about what sort of content your potential customers would be interested in, it’s definitely worth pumping out as much useful content as you can. It’s definitely true that some websites have grown great traffic simply by being the first or best provider of some kind of useful content.

It’s also true that asking relevant bloggers to link to you, writing articles and creating other content containing a back link to your site will help your ranking. This approach is more immediate than producing great content and waiting for the back links but perhaps less powerful than creating great content that many people are going to discuss and link to.

Both views are useful.

seocourse
    Up

Once again, the quality of the content depends of the industry

example:
    I google Hotels in Sydney… “hotels in Sydney” has 14.800 exact searches per month….

and in top position I find this gem

http://www.cheaperthanhotels.com.au/Australia/Sydney/

mmm are they here because their content was so amazing, people (other bloggers) linked to them?

No really. They are up in 1st position because they have more links than the other sites.

So… if your service is about, providing content… and selling your services, then great content will help.. but without serious link building, let’s see how long it takes you to be on top .

lutrov
    Participant
    Up
    seocourse, post: 50034 wrote:
    But if your tactic is “just by creating good content” to get “natural links”… mmm good luck.

As a marketing tactic, it has served me well.

To me, having worthwhile, relevant content is what really matters and everything else flows from that.

But backlinks have different values – a backlink from Wikipedia is worth a 1000% more than all the backlinks coming from some “Joe Blow” websites who’ve put up a bunch of external links on their web pages, as part of some “link exchange” tactic.

And I think we both know about the negative effects companies that offer back linking “services” can have for a website.

While relevant backlinks help, I wouldn’t invest in any strategies until I was sure I actually had enough quality content worth linking to. I certainly wouldn’t pay ANY money to anyone who offered to sell me 1000 backlinks, as part of some SEO strategy.

Not to mention the potential for a huge social media backlash this kind of tactic can cause.

Often, the problem is simply caused by impatience of the business owners wanting to get to the first page of Google in a few months. The harsh reality is that this simply doesn’t work.

seocourse
    Up

Fair point. Backlinking without quality content is not a good idea.

The problem is: Content quality is a subjective issue.

Who determines the how good the quality of a site is?
    you? google? the users?
    how do you measure quality content?
    how does google measure quality content?

Backlinks for SEO purpose instead is an objective approach.

you look at competition, number of links, strength of links; numbers, data…

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    seocourse, post: 50038 wrote:
    I google Hotels in Sydney… “hotels in Sydney” has 14.800 exact searches per month….

and in top position I find this gem

http://www.cheaperthanhotels.com.au/Australia/Sydney/

mmm are they here because their content was so amazing, people (other bloggers) linked to them?

No really. They are up in 1st position because they have more links than the other sites.
    Hi Gabe

I’m confused…

I just tried the search phrase “railway sleepers Sydney” and here are a few ranking results with their external links numbers.

Rank
    401 http://www.sydneycampervanhire.com.au 234 external links
    1 http://www.statewidesleepers.com.au 9 external links

Are external links good or bad for a page’s search ranking? :)

JohnW

seocourse
    Up

In this case, they are external links pointing to the site.

The more links the better

why the one with 9 links wins?

Because the other ones are not even trying to rank for that keyword.

So without trying to attack any site… the position 1 is up for grabs. As soon as any other site want’s to get 1st position… they can take it easily.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

LOL – I’ve just noticed where 3 of those 9 backlinks are from!

Personally, I’d agree with Gabe’s take on this – that spot is easily grabable, its not as if there are many sites looking to rank for railway sleepers sydney anyway, so a site with half decent content and a few decent anchortext backlinks should have it easy peasy.

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up
    JohnW, post: 50056 wrote:
    Hi Gabe

I’m confused…

I just tried the search phrase “railway sleepers Sydney” and here are a few ranking results with their external links numbers.

Rank
    401 http://www.sydneycampervanhire.com.au 234 external links
    4 http://www.turtlenursery.com.au 132 external links
    1 http://www.statewidesleepers.com.au 9 external links

Are external links good or bad for a page’s search ranking? :)

JohnW

Hi John,

I’ve always really respected your opinions on SEO, but this example seems really strange to me, as no-one is suggesting that the number of links is the only relevant SEO factor. I think you are barking up the wrong tree here.

Google Algorithm is complex and takes into account page content, page structure (Heading tags, title tag etc etc) as well as incoming links. It works out if the page is relevant for the search term, and if the page is a valuable resource both overall and related to the search term. You can have 1 million links, but if the search term isn’t very relevant to your page you won’t rank for it, that’s logical. But if there are two highly relevant sites, the one with more quality and quantity of inbound links will win

http://www.sydneycampervanhire.com.au – search term doesn’t appear on the page at all. Topic theme is not match to search term. Of the search terms, Railway only appears once on the page, in the address (Railway parade). Of the terms in your search, only Sydney appears in title tags, description etc. In URL match only for word “Sydney”

http://www.turtlenursery.com.au – search term does not appear on the page. “Railway sleepers” only appears once. Not in title etc. Page about lots of things this is one minor item in a list. Search words not in URL.

http://www.statewidesleepers.com.au – Railway sleepers Sydney does not appear on the page, but Railway Sleepers does appear three times, plus the singular in the title, plus the word Sydney.

I’m going to do an experiment and I predict within 48 hours I can rank my blog top 5 for that term. This may seem to prove to relevant content rules bit as it won’t be based on links (much), but it will just show how poor most site’s SEO is!

Lets see how I go, I may have to eat my hat!

Matt

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.