Home – New Forums Get productive How to deal with the ups & downs when starting or running your own business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    YogAlex
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    ::

Dear Flying Solo’s!
    Starting a business is a pretty big step in life, and while everyone does it for different reasons, we all share one common thing: ups & downs! Some day we wake up full of energy ready to conquer the world, other days we are full of doubts, we loose confidence and want to give up. Period.

Luckily it is not always that black and white, but being able to center ourselves and direct our energy onto important tasks or actions that will help our business grow is essential. I know one thing for me that work: yoga! My daily yoga practice helps me to release the physical & mental tensions that i hold in my body and in my mind. These days for most of us, managing a business means spending a lot of time at a desk, a computer, and on the phone, the body gets stiff, your back starts to ache and you become prone to repetitive stress injuries; it also means creating a lot of stress for ourselves, stress due to all the stories we make up in our mind and aren’t real, or due to living too much in the past (“I wish I had done that”) or too much in the future (“I cannot wait to make more money and increase my clients base”).

A regular practice of yoga helps at so many levels: it relieves stress, back pain, it helps you concentrate better, it combats fatigue, boosts your energy levels, improves sleep, it naturally draws you to a more healthy diet and lifestyle, it is personally empowering, gives you more clarity, helps you live more in the present… and the list goes on!

Peter Watson
    • Total posts: 98
    Up

Regular exercise is something that everyone should do, weather you are self employed or not. It will have a positive impact on your body and mind!

Not sure it will contribute to the success of ones business, but highly recommended either way.

I personally go to the gym for 45mins everyday. That’s enough to keep me fit and sane.

Thanks for sharing what works for you!

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Ups and Downs that sounds interesting, but when I started out I only had ups.
    Never ever wanted to stay in bed, always bounced out of bed at least 30 minutes before the alarm was due to go off, out of the door before 7.00am and sometimes more often than not getting home after 7.00pm and on the odd occasion being called out again getting home after 10.00pm.

If your really passionate about what you do negativity wont creep in to your mind, if it does get away from it as quick as you can and don’t go there again.
    Engage your mind with positive thoughts. Don’t talk to negative people and stay focused.

Fortunately I don’t have to do any of that any more as my mind things of positive things, and it turns off negativity.

It all about self control, but the danger is you may loose empathy with others.

ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    Up
    Burgo, post: 170510 wrote:
    If your really passionate about what you do negativity wont creep in to your mind, if it does get away from it as quick as you can and don’t go there again.

I really get where you’re coming from Burgo, I do. But I think this is faulty thinking, and can cause us to feel like failures in the down time, when the downtimes are just as important as the up times. We put ourselves under so much pressure that expecting ourselves to associate passion=productivity and up time can really throw a spanner in the works.

I know myself I am desperately passionate about my job and am grateful every day I wake to up to it. But that doesn’t mean that I don’t have down times due to anxiety, stress, and depression. This doesn’t mean I’m not passionate but I still wonder if my work is good enough, if I can do better, and I definitely have days where I wonder if I should just throw in the towel.

I can’t possibly maintain a constant stream of positivity. I’m human, and I accept both the up and down times with patience, calm and inner love. Then the more I do that the less the down times have a hold on me. They’re still there but I know how to handle them.

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

I don’t know that constant positivity is achievable or realistic, but I’m very big on contingencies.

Before I started my business I did a lot of research into the potential pitfalls and thought a lot about how I might handle similar scenarios. Should things go pear-shaped (as they do… and have!), I usually have process to deal with things which is a huge help.

And so what if all hell breaks loose..? No one is going to die if I miss a deadline, or if a client doesn’t like my copy, or if my computer decides to leave this mortal coil. Sure someone might be disappointed, hell, they might even be angry, but really… it’s not the end of the world. A bit of perspective goes a long way :)

(As does swearing and red wine!!) ;)

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

I like the red wine bit.

Constant positive thinking is achievable, whether it is conducive to business success in my case help me to grow and develop my business, where I went from one person to ten people in twelve months

Peter Watson
    • Total posts: 98
    Up

If you really love what you are doing and are passionate about it, then it shouldn’t be that hard to cope with the lows.

gregorys
    • Total posts: 27
    Up

<>
    I first thought you meant ups and downs of sales turnover LOL!. Guess that will have to be a topic for another thread.

I too am a firm believer of regular exercise. I try to get about 20 to 45mins about 3 times a week. Not that I enjoy it, I just think its necessary for me so this is usually taken from my work hours and not my leisure hours. Knowing that its taken from my work hours helps me stick with the program.

Also try to get about 5 – 8 mins before breakfast and before I start work every weekday morning. That’s the target anyway but not always achieved :( . I try to keep good working hours with lots of time for rest, leisure and hobbies so I don’t feel spent at the start of the next business day.

Regards
    Greg

markn
    • Total posts: 103
    Up

Regular exercise – I walk for at least an hour 5 days a week. Listen to some music or an audio book. It gives you some great mental downtime to relax or think plus the exercise gives you all the physiological benefits.
    A Strong Structure for your Day – this is probably the most important thing. It’s too easy to get some bad news, have a bad sales day, get bad customer feedback and spend too much time moping about because of it. Having a set structure to your day means there’s always something to get on with if you get bad news. It helps to minimise the personal impact on yourself and the productivity impact on your business.

Leonie-SC
    • Total posts: 21
    Up

Oh yes YogAlex – I agree and try to fit in several sessions per week (interspersed with walking as an exercise)

I find I really notice the difference (in a discomforting way) when I stop doing it! It is the mindfulness aspect of it I like the most. I think of it as a moving meditation and breathwork all in one.

Of course I also love the way my body feels loose and relaxed after a session. We have a new deck on our house (as of last Xmas) and as the weather is warming I’m able to have yoga sessions outside again in the early morning. There is nothing like it!

Cheers
    Leonie
    Deep Tree Life Coaching
    http://www.deeptree.com.au

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.