Home – New Forums Marketing mastery How to effectively use social media without all the nonsense and hype

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    ::

When it comes to social media, most business owners (especially small business owners) are completely lost.

They’ll ask…

“How do I effectively use social media?”
    “Do I really need it?”
    “Can I make money from social media?”

OR, they’ll say….

“Social media is a complete waste of time”
    “I know it I need it, but how does it work, what do I do?”
    “I don’t even understand half of it”
    “I don’t have time to be sitting on Facebook all day talking to people, I have a business to run”

Okay, grab a cuppa and a biscuit, I’m going to break it down for you – in a really easy and simple way, so that you can start embracing social media and driving traffic to your website – and making $$$

1. First thing of course is to setup all of your social media properties. This should include FB, Google+, Twitter, Pinterest, Linkedin, Youtube…etc etc. More is not always better, but at least have the big names in there. Your social media properties should reflect your brand and your business – not you as a person. Unless of course that’s what you want to do. Be sure to link BACK to your site within your profile settings across all platforms.

2. Setup a BLOG. It doesnt matter whether you’re a plumber, a builder, a dentist, or a stay at home mum selling socks for gineau pigs – you need to be publishing content to your site consistently.

Okay, here’s where it ties in with your blog.

3. Each and every time you publish content to your blog, whether that be an article, a video, a podcast, or an infographic (whatever it is) ….share the sh*t out of it via social media. This means, sharing it on FB, Google+, Twitter, Pinterest, Linkedin, etc etc etc. Whichever social properties you have setup or created, THAT’S where you should be sharing it. This is called syndicating your content across social media. Think of it as “broadcasting” your message. Getting it out there. The more often you broadcast, the more noise you make. The more noise you make, the quicker you get found/noticed.

4. Those shares then help drive traffic back to your website. This is the whole point of the exercise. TO GET PEOPLE BACK TO YOUR SITE.

This is why its – important to be publishing highly relevant and useful content to your site consistently

That right there is social media at it’s lowest level. Of course you can get a lot fancier with social media in terms of paid traffic and whatever else, but this should get a LOT of you heading in the right direction.

Any questions – just ask.

PS. Focus on the metrics that matter, traffic to your site, conversions, leads and sales etc. NOT likes and followers.

Social PA
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Hi John

Great post :)

Social media is really important, especially these days where more and more customers are turning to these networks to research companies rather than just Googling them

However, I don’t believe every business should rush out and add a blog to their website or create social media profiles. I know this kind of contradicts what I just said (and what I love doing!) BUT, a HUGE mistake I see businesses fall into is creating a profile and then never updating it, or updating it every now and then.

From my experience, I believe businesses need to have ongoing and regular engagement if they want to use social media. I think that businesses that don’t communicate regularly on social media may as well not have them set up. Its kind of like having a bad website (it gives customers the impression the business is unprofessional or outdated…).

Just my opinion :)

Great post and something I think we’re going to see get bigger in the future!

Mikayla

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

In general the only ones making money directly out of social media are those enticing, training and managing businesses to be part of it. For the rest of us it a periphery of your broader marketing strategy, with results much harder to measure.

LuchiaBloomfield
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

I think this post is a pretty spot-on introduction to Social Media Marketing. Thanks for sharing!

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up
    arrowwise, post: 185009 wrote:
    with results much harder to measure.

Measuring the results of social media are no different to measuring results from any other form of traffic.

Question – How do I know if my social media marketing is working?

Answer – Use trackable links.

http://www.worksmedia.com.au/traffic/track-measure-traffic-website/

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up
    arrowwise, post: 185009 wrote:
    In general the only ones making money directly out of social media are those enticing, training and managing businesses to be part of it. For the rest of us it a periphery of your broader marketing strategy, with results much harder to measure.

I don’t think this is correct at all IMO. There are plenty of businesses who are extracting huge sums of money from social media, and it’s perfectly trackable.

There are a lot of people out there who will say “SM is a waste of time” and that opinion seems to get a lot of traction especially from people who don’t know how to generate an income stream from it yet. I would point out however that someone who talks negatively about the potential of SM is obviously someone who doesn’t know how to make it work, so why would you listen to them?

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Nice post John.

Of course the tactic does pre-suppose that your social media posts are actually seen by plenty of followers and more importantly that the SM posts are getting engagement i.e. your followers are actually clicking your links to read your latest and greatest back on your website.

I see lots of small business owners shouting into the ether through tweets and Facebook posts, pins and videos, that get little or no attention because they have not actually got an audience.

One I spoke to last week thought he was ‘doing the right thing on Twitter’, he had a handful of followers, probably all family!

Simply Money Honey
    • Total posts: 78
    Up

Hi John

I think it is difficult for small business owners to manage all the different social media accounts. Having a facebook, twitter, pinterest and instagram account does nothing for your business if no-one is following you.

I think it is much better to choose one social media channel that you think could work for your business and focus your attention there. Do some free online webinars to learn more about that channel, implement the advice, build your following, post a range of content (not just promoting your business). Try different things and see what works for you. Then when you feel you have mastered one social media channel add a new one.

Just my two cents.

Cheers

Gabrielle

Social PA
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    Aidan, post: 185103 wrote:
    Nice post John.

Of course the tactic does pre-suppose that your social media posts are actually seen by plenty of followers and more importantly that the SM posts are getting engagement i.e. your followers are actually clicking your links to read your latest and greatest back on your website.

I see lots of small business owners shouting into the ether through tweets and Facebook posts, pins and videos, that get little or no attention because they have not actually got an audience.

One I spoke to last week thought he was ‘doing the right thing on Twitter’, he had a handful of followers, probably all family!

Hi Aidan,

Definitely agree with you – there’s no point putting it out there without followers.

However, maybe they need to change their initial objectives… maybe they shouldn’t be hunting sales (yet!), but instead change their objective for the next month to be related to increasing connections.

A clear objective relative to where the business currently is at can go a long way. Creating some short term goals in order to get to the big one is an ideal place to start.

Mikayla

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up
    Aidan, post: 185103 wrote:

G’day Aidan,

You’re right. There’s not much point in shouting into an empty room, but that doesn’t mean social media doesn’t work. It can, and it does.

See this is where business owners get it all wrong. They share something then login several times a day to check their stats and see if anyone else has shared it. Over the course of a month or so, nothing gets shared and they give up.

They just expect results too quickly. It just doesn’t happen like that.

This is where business owners might think “This is garbage, this is a waste of my time”

It really comes down to a number of things…

1. Strategy
    2. Long term vision
    3. Patience
    4. Consistently broadcasting/publishing

Strategy.

Go where your audience already is. This is the easiest way to kickstart your efforts. Think about it – why am I here? Because my audience is here. If you’re selling blue widgets then find out where there are blue widget communities online and broadcast your message there (or at least interact)

Long term vision

Too many people setup online businesses or “stores” and expect results in one weekend. They run out of puff after a few months and abandon everything – including their social media efforts.

Social media takes time to get traction – unless you can expedite your efforts by going where your audience already is. See my point above.

It’s pointless expecting 50,000 FB likes in the first month of business.

Patience

Stop logging in to check your social share stats every 5 minutes. Think long term. Say to yourself “I may only have 3 tweets on this article today, but I’m sure that in 5 years time, I’m going to have thousands”. THAT’S the mindset you must have.

Consistently broadcasting/publishing

You’re not going to get social engagement unless you’re consistently broadcasting/publishing. I see business owners all the time get excited about this stuff and they publish 1 blog post in 2 years. Then they complain they have 3 followers on Twitter.

Publish often – and better yet, make it share worthy.

Simply Money Honey, post: 185108 wrote:
    I think it is difficult for small business owners to manage all the different social media accounts. Having a facebook, twitter, pinterest and instagram account does nothing for your business if no-one is following you.

See my posts above.

I couldn’t care less how many “followers” I have or I don’t have. What I DO care about are conversions. If I can login to analytics and see 5 sales this month as a result of traffic coming from Twitter, then that’s okay with me.

I think it is much better to choose one social media channel that you think could work for your business and focus your attention there.

Huge mistake and a dangerous mindset to have.

What you *think* and what is factual are usually always two very different things.

Dismissing a whole bunch of social media platfroms because you don’t *think* they might work is crazy. You’re much better off using ALL of them, capturing factual data, then KNOWING, not assuming.

Then when you feel you have mastered one social media channel add a new one.

Dangerous.

While you’re investing time on one platform, you’re essentially giving up on traffic from other sources.

Doesn’t make any sense to me at all.

BTW – I have social accounts everywhere and I spend maybe 15 minutes a week on them. I use them as traffic channels – that’s it.

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up

By the way, I don’t claim to be any sort of social media expert, I’m just telling you what works and how business owners can embrace social media without going crazy wasting a whole bunch of time and money.

Rule is – keep it simple.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi John. Can you just elaborate on the blog bit?

Should you set up a blog page on your website or elsewhere?

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up
    Fab, post: 185281 wrote:
    Hi John. Can you just elaborate on the blog bit?

Should you set up a blog page on your website or elsewhere?

On your website.

I.T. Guaranteed
    Participant
    • Total posts: 54
    Up

Hi John,

Awesome post. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
    You did ask for questions and I have a few.
    First up.

At the moment I feel like I am blogging / tweeting /posting to an almost empty room.

Is this a chicken / egg situation. How do the followers find you? or is that what we are all doing here in this forum right now?

On twitter I notice lots of people follow me in the hope that I will follow back? What are your thoughts on this tactic? Seems a very slow way to attract the wrong target audience to me…

Thanks again. more questions to come if thats ok.

John Romaine
    Participant
    Up
    I.T. Guaranteed, post: 185378 wrote:
    At the moment I feel like I am blogging / tweeting /posting to an almost empty room.

I dont have a magical answer for this except to “keep going”. Quetion : How long have you been publishing? I published for a year before I started gaining any sort of traction. Infact, every now and then one of my posts might fall flat on its face…

Like this one.

http://www.worksmedia.com.au/conversions/want-traffic-google-huh/

On the other hand, I’ve had blog post entries do this.

http://www.worksmedia.com.au/seo/seo-fatigue-dodgy-agencies-clueless-clients-enough-yet/

I think it’s important to understand that everyone starts at the beginning with the same problems. Even Rand Fishkin of Moz. (see below)

http://moz.com/blog/analyze-the-google-link-command

Look at the social shares there.

Admittedly, social wasn’t as big back then, but he too even says, “I made a point of making sure that I published content as frequently as possible”. Infact I think he published daily, but that may not be possible for most.

Another person in this space (Pat Flynn) said that he published content every day for 6 months before anyone even took notice of his stuff.

I think the thing is, is that it takes time to build an audience. This is why I said be patient and stick with it. Have a long term mindset.

I should point out though, that you should be very mindful of the balance between publishing content and making money. It can be VERY easy to sit around publishing content and not generating sales/revenue.

Be sure to track your efforts.

How do the followers find you? or is that what we are all doing here in this forum right now?

Posting here on this forum is one way. This is known as “forum marketing”, whereby you go about sharing and contributing to an already established audience. This is why I said, “go where your audience already is”. That is the fastest way to speed things up.

On twitter I notice lots of people follow me in the hope that I will follow back?

How do you know they want you to follow them back? Or is that an assumption. When someone follows me, I welcome it. I don’t generally make a point of following them back. Unless of course I’m interested in hearing what they have to say.

At the end of the day, you treat social media the same as most other traffic sources.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.