Home Forums New here? Share your story How to expand customer base for affordable designer fine jewellery start-up brand?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1000563
    Jasmineinspring
    Member
    • Total posts: 8

    Hi There,

    Hope you are having a good day!

    My name is Jasmine. I am a Diploma Qualified Jeweller & the founder of Jasmine & the Phoenix Jewellery, based in Melbourne.

    We are an affordable designer fine jewellery brand, offering quality pearl & silver jewellery at guaranteed best price, thanks to our strong bond with the pearling industry worldwide.

    Our design focus is classically contemporary pearl jewellery in sterling silver setting. We may have world largest contemporary pearl range… We also have a small selected classic range; it sells all the time. Our other stockists are very happy about this collection.

    I am confident our jewellerys pieces offers best value to customers, but it is sohard to expand our customer base as I expected. I have tried INS Ads, Google Ads, and spent quite some money on it, but the outcome is not meeting my expectation. I am quite frustrated and upset about it.

    Any suggetions are welcome!

    Many thanks and Kind Regards

    Jasmine

    #1224788
    Jasmineinspring
    Member
    • Total posts: 8

    :(:(:(:(:(:(:( any one?

    #1224789
    JacquiPryor
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,344

    Hi Jasmine,

    I only just had a quick look at your website, and it took a while to load for me so not sure if that’s just my connection. And, it looks like you just registered your business name a couple of weeks ago with ASIC? If you have only been going a couple of weeks, perhaps it is just needing some time for all the ads etc to start working?

    There’s another forum thread on here, “Tell it to me straight” – if you pop your queries in there you might have a few more people see it and provide constructive feedback around your website and/or the ads?

    All the best :)

    #1224790
    Jasmineinspring
    Member
    • Total posts: 8
    JacquiPryor, post: 271930, member: 20176 wrote:
    Hi Jasmine,

    I only just had a quick look at your website, and it took a while to load for me so not sure if that’s just my connection. And, it looks like you just registered your business name a couple of weeks ago with ASIC? If you have only been going a couple of weeks, perhaps it is just needing some time for all the ads etc to start working?

    There’s another forum thread on here, “Tell it to me straight” – if you pop your queries in there you might have a few more people see it and provide constructive feedback around your website and/or the ads?

    All the best :)
    thanks Jacqui,

    yes, you are right, I just officially registerred my business name a couple of weeks ago, actually it is re-register, I used to registerd for a year, but there was no busienss, and it was cancelled. but I have had my ABN for about 4 years, I have only had some breakthroughs from last year-ironically when I had to work from home,I have more time to spend on my own business.

    Since then I have spent quite some money and time and energy to expand my custoemer base. I do both wholesale and retail, on wholesale side, I am satisfied with the result, I have 7 stockists now, but not much on retail side. and it maks me upset as my wholesale customers are boutique shop owners, jewellery store owners, they recognize my design and quality and price, and my pieces sell well in their shop. Check the In Store section on my websie. But I just not able to send the message to retail customers directly. It is so sad, I am offering good qulity fine jewellry, but I can’t sell, there all lots of costume jewellery brands, they are selling brass jewellery at fine jewellery price, however they can manage to find retail customers.

    Im genunie even it may not sound like. Regardign the website speed, most friends feedback the speed is quite okay, I am not sure, why it is slow to download from your side.

    Regards

    Jasmine

    #1224791
    Jasmineinspring
    Member
    • Total posts: 8
    JacquiPryor, post: 271930, member: 20176 wrote:
    Hi Jasmine,

    I only just had a quick look at your website, and it took a while to load for me so not sure if that’s just my connection. And, it looks like you just registered your business name a couple of weeks ago with ASIC? If you have only been going a couple of weeks, perhaps it is just needing some time for all the ads etc to start working?

    There’s another forum thread on here, “Tell it to me straight” – if you pop your queries in there you might have a few more people see it and provide constructive feedback around your website and/or the ads?

    All the best :)
    and yes, it sounds a bit like an ad, as i don’t have time to write another paragraph, so I just copy the introduction part in our ad.

    #1224792
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472

    Stop wasting money on advertising, until you fix your website.

    There is no way I would purchase from your website the way it is currently setup.

    Firstly you need to get a copywriter in to fix all the grammar issues.

    Another example is the , Newly arrived tab, you have drop downs such as ÄW 2020, sounds great, but you state you are after retail customers, the majority wont have a clue what AW 2020 is, find a better way to focus on retail. I think wholsesale is going good because they understand the terminology, but you have to pitch it at retail.

    I cant find your ABN listed anywhere, contact phone number, address, etc. Maybe I am not looking hard enough, but I can’t find any trust factors. Those things need to be upfront and staring at buyers, If you can’t even spell Melbourne correctly, I am thinking scam. PS I did eventually find a phone number, but only when I went to try to add an item to me cart.

    I struggle to understand why you have a minimum purchase $ amount ($49 Australian), if your pricing is correct you will still be making some $’s on the transaction, but also on items such as this I would be making a small purchase before committing many more dollars, you have just ruled out those toe in the water buyers. I have sold many items for $12.50 plus postage, and then had them come back and put in an order for hundreds of dollars. Sure on the small order I may only make a dollar or 2, but in the long run I am making much more, dont look at short term.

    You say free postage over 149, but when I add more then that, it still adds postage. I found somewhere where I can add a coupon code, but if you go straight to checkout there is no option to add one, but more importantly this should be an automatic thing, not reliant I me to know that I need to add a coupon code. This annoys pruchasers.

    PS. I did eventually find an ABN , 1X506659X48, totally invalid, another anti trust factor.

    Stop wasting advertising $’s and get your shop front working, imagine your website as the shop front to a bricks and mortar place. would you walk into bricks and mortar looking for quality jewelry if the door front was bad, I wouldnt.

    #1224793
    Jasmineinspring
    Member
    • Total posts: 8
    bb1, post: 271933, member: 53375 wrote:
    Stop wasting money on advertising, until you fix your website.

    There is no way I would purchase from your website the way it is currently setup.

    Firstly you need to get a copywriter in to fix all the grammar issues.

    Another example is the , Newly arrived tab, you have drop downs such as ÄW 2020, sounds great, but you state you are after retail customers, the majority wont have a clue what AW 2020 is, find a better way to focus on retail. I think wholsesale is going good because they understand the terminology, but you have to pitch it at retail.

    I cant find your ABN listed anywhere, contact phone number, address, etc. Maybe I am not looking hard enough, but I can’t find any trust factors. Those things need to be upfront and staring at buyers, If you can’t even spell Melbourne correctly, I am thinking scam. PS I did eventually find a phone number, but only when I went to try to add an item to me cart.

    I struggle to understand why you have a minimum purchase $ amount ($49 Australian), if your pricing is correct you will still be making some $’s on the transaction, but also on items such as this I would be making a small purchase before committing many more dollars, you have just ruled out those toe in the water buyers. I have sold many items for $12.50 plus postage, and then had them come back and put in an order for hundreds of dollars. Sure on the small order I may only make a dollar or 2, but in the long run I am making much more, dont look at short term.

    You say free postage over 149, but when I add more then that, it still adds postage. I found somewhere where I can add a coupon code, but if you go straight to checkout there is no option to add one, but more importantly this should be an automatic thing, not reliant I me to know that I need to add a coupon code. This annoys pruchasers.

    PS. I did eventually find an ABN , 1X506659X48, totally invalid, another anti trust factor.

    Stop wasting advertising $’s and get your shop front working, imagine your website as the shop front to a bricks and mortar place. would you walk into bricks and mortar looking for quality jewelry if the door front was bad, I wouldnt.

    Thanks for your reply and spend time go through my website.

    1. Thanks for pointing out the Melbourne spelling, the typo only happned on Sun when I was trying to edit it again.–but the things is when it was correct, there was not much retail orders either. In terms of AW & SS, most jewellery and fashion buyers know what they means.

    2. ABN Issue, in our industry, we won’t disclose ABN unless neceassry, I don’t know where you have got the idea that an ABN is the first trusting factor,maybe in your industry, if you go through all Australian big or small jewellery brands’ website, ICHU Jewellery, Von Treskow jewellery, etc, there is no ABN listed.

    However, I do have an In-Store section, wheere I have listed all the phisical stores where custoemers can buy our pieces.

    3. Yes, we don’t accept orders less than $ 49, for a couple of reasons,but probably you are right about this, I will remove this bit.

    4. The free postage, it is just how small business can’t provide perfect service, as I will have to charge wholesale customers postage regardless amount, but there is only one payment rount for both accounts. The only solution is to create a coupon code for retail customers.

    5. I don’t think my front door is that bad, I have seen lots of small jewellery brands’ website, maybe their wording is not too bad, but in terms of product pictures, etc, it is defenitly not good, I think I have got beautiful designs and product pictures there. the visual side is pretty good. From my own buying experience, when I buy phisical goods like Jewellery or Clothing, I don’t really even read the texts much. If I buy a complicated computer I probably will.

    #1224794
    MattH753
    Member
    • Total posts: 15

    Hi Jasmine
    The site took a while to load for me too.
    My advice would be to target a specific group of people and hone your message. For me, looking at your designs (but no expert so don’t shoot me)they look like they’d do great for ladies getting married. So targeting all things wedding could work well?? That would be loading your images/designs to Pinterest and Insta using #wedding tags etc. You could write some blog posts on your site about finding the right jewellery for your wedding day etc. Then get people to share using your #
    Good luck

    #1224795
    MattH753
    Member
    • Total posts: 15

    A good app for checking wording, spelling etc is Grammarly. A great app (even the free version) that runs in the background

    #1224796
    Jasmineinspring
    Member
    • Total posts: 8
    MattH753, post: 271964, member: 117658 wrote:
    Hi Jasmine
    The site took a while to load for me too.
    My advice would be to target a specific group of people and hone your message. For me, looking at your designs (but no expert so don’t shoot me)they look like they’d do great for ladies getting married. So targeting all things wedding could work well?? That would be loading your images/designs to Pinterest and Insta using #wedding tags etc. You could write some blog posts on your site about finding the right jewellery for your wedding day etc. Then get people to share using your #
    Good luck

    Hi Matt,

    Thank you so much for your advice.

    I will look into the loading speed of my website, I tried it on different PCs before it was fine, haven’t done it for while sinces the Lockdown.

    I think you are probably right about the designs look a bit like wedding jewellery–which I didn’t intend though, as i do have brides to be coming to me buy pieces. I will try to add a #wedding tag.

    I think I need to find an affordable publist for us. but the thing is when it comes to SEO experts and publists, it’s sooo hard to find the right one,as I literally receive more than 10 SEO spam emails every day.

    A lot to do….

    Thanks again for your advice, really appriciate it.

    Regards

    Jasmine

    #1224797
    Dave – FS Concierge
    Moderator
    • Total posts: 2,523

    Hi [USER=101980]@Jasmineinspring[/USER],

    You’re right. Hiring a publicist or SEO expert is tricky when you don’t have a plan in mind. Are they any good? Is their plan any good? Hard to know if you’re leaving it all in their hands.

    Here’s where I’d focus if I were you…

    You’ve said: “Our other stockists are very happy with this collection”
    -Can you get some testimonials?
    -Can you get some sales figures? Margins? Other figures of good results?

    If you can:

    • Collect this info, and communicate to other stockists why your collection is worth putting in their store.
    • Offer them some extra incentive to get started (the hardest step).
    • Choose a way to reach out to stockists with your strong message and offer.

    Now you have a definite plan that makes sense. You can DIY if you wish, or find someone to help if you want to dedicate more resources to it. It’s centred on your success so far, and targeted at businesses similar to those you’ve already helped succeed. So it’s more concrete than “Hiring a publicist”, which is more hopeful in comparison.

    Dave

    P.S. Is there a stockist that would give you credibility with other stockists? Offer them an unusually good deal. Use their name to open doors with other stockists.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.