Home – New Forums Marketing mastery How to get face time/networking events instead of behind the Computer?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Geezertd
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

I’ve been tasked with running the marketing for a small IT company with about 12 employees. Everyone talks these days about online marketing strategies like SEO/websites/email marketing etc. and of course I have done all these. However i’m suffering from “desk fatigue” and really would like some ideas of how to go out and meet potential clients FACE TO FACE.

I can be a pretty charismatic person and really enjoy talking to and getting to know people, and have an exceptionally high closing rate – when I get the actual chance to meet with people. However with everyone increasingly reliant on technology it’s becoming harder to actually be more than a “name attached to an email signature” rather than a real person.

How do you all find ways to promote yourself or your company IN PERSON? I’ve considered “paid” networking groups like BNI, but they seem like an unnecessarily awkward and rigid group of desperate people all trying to take each other’s dollars :

Any tips from people’s experience would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :)

Matt

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Matt,

Nice to meet you, and welcome to Flying Solo.

I know exactly what you mean about ‘desk fatigue’. After what feels like weeks on end at my desk I spent most of today at an industry trade fair. It was a rare treat for me to casually run into several of my clients, rather than seeing them at formal business meetings and briefing sessions. There should be more of it I say!

Where are you based, and what type of client are you looking for? I’m sure between the lot of us we can come up with some ideas for you.

Hope you have a great weekend,
    Jayne

Geezertd
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    FS Concierge, post: 47757 wrote:
    Hi Matt,

Nice to meet you, and welcome to Flying Solo.

I know exactly what you mean about ‘desk fatigue’. After what feels like weeks on end at my desk I spent most of today at an industry trade fair. It was a rare treat for me to casually run into several of my clients, rather than seeing them at formal business meetings and briefing sessions. There should be more of it I say!

Where are you based, and what type of client are you looking for? I’m sure between the lot of us we can come up with some ideas for you.

Hope you have a great weekend,
    Jayne

Hi Jayne,

thanks for the reply and feedback!

We are based on the Gold Coast and, not surprisingly, the largest percentage of our current clients are based in the tourism/hospitality industries.

I am continually struggling to come up with methods to get any face time with clients as people are VERY unreceptive to cold calling from my experience, even if you have carefully researched their company and are calling to provide them with some kind of benefit…

mark_xpnsit
    • Total posts: 140
    Up

I know what you mean and I think many of your clients are probably suffering from the same thing as you.

I know you’ve looked at BNI but have you looked at your local chamber of commerce? they often run networking events and in a area like yours there may even by a networking group for tourism organisations.

This is not a ‘selling’ event obviously but a chance to build contacts and your personal credibility within the industry.

You could also look to organise your own event to bring together local businesses in your target market, offer a seminar in something relevant to them (maybe even websites and online marketing) and then you can use the opportunity to promote your business as well.

Just a few thoughts!

SharonS
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Hi Matt,

When I first started business on the Gold Coast I went to the Chamber of Commerce monthly breakfasts and met many people. Website is: http://www.centralgc.com.au

I now go to Gold Coast Business Swap. This is not like BNI at all – it is more to do with building relationships and improving your business instead of having to refer and get money out of each other. You do not have to go every month either. I have met so many nice people there. A lot of the people there are home based. Website: http://www.goldcoastbusinessswap.com.au

There are sooooo many networking groups on the Gold Coast – you will just have to find one that works for you.

Sharon Sewell
    http://www.smileprinting.com.au
    http://www.varsitygraphics.com.au

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.