Home – New Forums Money matters How to get money from a non-paying client?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ricdel
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::

I did a small project as a subcontractor for an agency. I have worked for them a couple of times before. They would usually pay me end of every month for the work done for that month. However the last invoice has not been paid yet. In my invoice I specified that the invoice is to be paid within 10 days. On the 10th day, they emailed me saying that they would clear the payment within 7 days. The 7 days have now passed and I haven’t received the money. I’ve emailed them but they haven’t responded to my email.

I don’t think I need to wait any longer. Should I email them a final letter of demand and threaten to take legal action or retrieve the money through a debt collection agency?

It’s not a massive amount of money. It’s under $1000. What if they still don’t pay after my final letter of demand? How do I proceed with legal action or debt collection?

I don’t have a signed contract but I have all the email evidence of the conversation.

DebtCollector
    • Total posts: 40
    Up

Never send a Letter of Demand until you have exhausted every other avenue of debt collection. As debt collectors we send no more than two Letters of Demand a year. We always advise our client’s that unless you intend on following through with legal action we won’t send them. If you do send a Letter of Demand and don’t follow through with legal action you chances of debt recovery fall by 99%. Give me a ring and I will give you some advise on what you should do before using a debt collector or starting legal action.

ricdel
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    DebtCollector, post: 188604 wrote:
    Never send a Letter of Demand until you have exhausted every other avenue of debt collection. As debt collectors we send no more than two Letters of Demand a year. We always advise our client’s that unless you intend on following through with legal action we won’t send them. If you do send a Letter of Demand and don’t follow through with legal action you chances of debt recovery fall by 99%. Give me a ring and I will give you some advise on what you should do before using a debt collector or starting legal action.

Thanks for your reply. Are you able to advise here in the forum so that other people having similar issues can benefit from this. Thanks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.