Home – New Forums Tech talk How to get the comments rolling on my blog

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    TinaGPhotography
    • Total posts: 23
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone!

I’ve started posting on my blog again recently after leaving it dormant for some time. The main issue that discouraged me last time was the lack of hits on the blog. That’s not the issue this time around, I can see that I’m getting hits. Oh, before I forget, here’s the link. http://tinagphotography.wordpress.com/

I have two issues – firstly I can’t get it to register as part of my domain, but I can have it show up on my page as an external link.

Second issue is, how do I encourage people to actually start commenting? I really would like to build up a level of interaction. Is my writing just plain old boring?

abacus
    • Total posts: 174
    Up
    TinaGPhotography, post: 50871 wrote:
    Hi everyone!

I’ve started posting on my blog again recently after leaving it dormant for some time. The main issue that discouraged me last time was the lack of hits on the blog. That’s not the issue this time around, I can see that I’m getting hits. Oh, before I forget, here’s the link. http://tinagphotography.wordpress.com/

I have two issues – firstly I can’t get it to register as part of my domain, but I can have it show up on my page as an external link.

Second issue is, how do I encourage people to actually start commenting? I really would like to build up a level of interaction. Is my writing just plain old boring?

maybe try asking a question to stimulate answers?

for example…on today’s post… maybe ask the question “should I have thrown out the mags?” or “should I splurge on the earrings?” or ask “what other magazine sites have you seen?” Just something to start a dialogue.

Hope that inspires you :)

Arnold Shields
    • Total posts: 58
    Up

Hi Tina,

You have a couple of options:

a simple fix regarding the domain name is to pay $10 to wordpress.com to get use your domain name ie. blog.tinagphotography.com.au, but you will still have a different look/ style between your site and your blog.

I would suggest converting your website across to wordpress (either wordpress.com or self hosted) and have the blog as an integral part of the site. There are lots of people on FS who can help you with the design and setup of a wordpress site.

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

Tina the main thing that strikes me as odd is it’s supposed to be a photography blog, but there are no photos. If I went to a photography blog and didn’t see a single photo I would leave. If i like the photos it makes me want to read the words.

Matt

Aymeric
    • Total posts: 39
    Up

Maybe start with building a following amongst your friends and family. They will be more inclined to leave a comment. Once you will get a few comments, it will be easier for complete strangers to leave a comment.

(And I agree, I want to see pictures on a photography blog. Have you considered using a photoblog?)

prepaidplans
    • Total posts: 38
    Up

Pictures and some more colour would work. I also think you need to write about things people are going to want to give an opinion in other than that’s a nice article. Review someone else’s pics or a photo exhibition, say something controversial. Also try and make your blog regular, so people keep coming back to it to read your opinion on this and that.

mark_xpnsit
    • Total posts: 140
    Up

Try using some social networking and social bookmarking sites to generate an interest – we’ve used digg, reddit and stumbleupon with some success.

Also look at doing a compeitition for the top commentor

mike@engagemarketing
    • Total posts: 300
    Up

Hi Tina,
    I don’t think i’ve met you on the forums before, so.. hi!

One of my businesses (The Blog Designer) is about to launch some new services for people who are a bit confused or looking to get more out of blogging. It’s funny, today we were actually talking about offering it to some bloggers for free for feedback.

Basically they are two services:
    – analyse your whole blogging strategy, look out for ways to improve your blog, cross-promote your blog, match it with your overall business goals
    – proofread, optimise for Search Engine’s & apply the principles of successful blogging to your posts prior to release

If you like I’d be happy to have our blog team work with you on that. All that we would ask is for a little feedback as we go.

We can also help you to change your blog over to your .com.au address if you like?

Anyway, if you are interested, shoot me an email or you will find our phone number on our website :)

Cheers,
    Mike

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.