Home – New Forums Tell me straight… How to improve my high bounce rate?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Steveo
    • Total posts: 81
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

One of my websites, http://www.carrotreviews.com has an eye-watering 47% bounce rate, can you tell me why?

I realise the front page has no call to action, does it need one? Do you know what the site is within 5 seconds? Do I need an image to convey what the site does?

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up

Hi Steve

I couldn’t find any keywords on your site so I assume you are not talking about organic traffic.

So before you can fix your current bounce rate you need to know where your traffic is coming from and that will give you a clue as to what they are expecting.

However, your current traffic might prove to be the wrong traffic for you in which case your current bounce rate is irrelevant.

I didn’t know what your site did in 5 seconds and just as you said… there is no “call to action” also called “engagement”

If you don’t have Google Analytics on your site then install it and review your stats every day.

Armed with that knowledge, start thinking about seo and a redesign of your site

Steveo
    Up

Hi Warren,

Thanks for your speedy response.

When you say “I couldn’t find any keywords on your site”, what exactly do you mean?

Do you mean meta keywords?

Cheers,
    Steve.

Renee Barber
    • Total posts: 360
    Up

Hi Steve

Well … my first impression was that it was a bit … bland. Maybe a picture or two would give it some zing.

I’d also suggest a catchy tagline near your logo.

This next bit is entirely personal so see what others think, but I’m hating the green. It seems a bit ‘mouldy’. I know carrots have green in them … and orange, but at least think about a different colour scheme.

There’s also something about the font that gives me a bit of eyestrain so you might wish to experiment with that.

OK, I’ll close and let other people have their say.

Steveo
    Up

Hi Renee,

I appreciate your honesty, I know that the best feedback is *not* the “oh it looks great” type. And I will take on board all of your suggestions, I think I’ll definitely run the new design of my other site past you when its ready :-)

With regard to the green, I have noticed that using my new laptop and 22″ ultra bright monitor that the colour looks fine, but on my older Dell and Eee it does look rather dull and well you said it “mouldy”. Any idea how I can get a real idea of what colours will work? I’ve heard of websites that suggest colour scheme? Is it just a question of monitor brightness?

Thanks again.

Steve.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Re: How to improve my high bounce rate? re colours

On my computer and large monitor the colours are fine. I calibrate my monitors with Pantone Huey. It is true that colours will change from monitor to monitor unless they are calibrated the same. I personally like green – but, it might be good to check the colours out on an older monitor or new ones in computer showrooms or kiosks. I don’t like the orange with black lettering and the text kerning (the space between the letters) is too squashed up in ‘carrotreviews’. But I am a stickler for good typography and don’t like seeing fonts squashed.

Also, regarding contact details … nowhere do you have a phone number. Nor do you state where you are based (Australia or US or where?). I think it’s important to give some kind of address, even if it’s a post office, plus a contact phone number. If you don’t want to use your main number then perhaps a separate mobile number just for the website so you can monitor the calls. People feel more comfortable knowing they can contact you by phone even if they never use it – you will be viewed as more valid.

On the home page, the sub title ‘theres more’ should be corrected to ‘there’s more’ (ie there is).

For more on use of apostrophes see http://www.unicorngraphics.com.au/blog/BlogSite/Blog/Entries/2009/9/5_Articles__The_Apostrophe_Dilemma.html

Cheers.

Renee Barber
    • Total posts: 360
    Up

Hi Steve

You’re quite welcome! I’m glad you took my comments in the light they were intended: to help! :-)

As for web colours, as Karen said, it depends on a host of factors, so test it on a couple monitors and see how you go.

It’ll be good to see the ‘refit’ so do let us know when that’s happened.

G’luck!

Jexley
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

Hey there,
    All great replies and some really good advice in there. I think what Warren was talking about with “no keywords” was a clearly defined term that you’re targeting in your title, meta description, header tags and elsewhere on your homepage.

I didn’t really see one either, but don’t necessarily think that’s a bad thing given that it’s a relatively nice site (and I’m an SEO, so there you go).

What I did see is what others have commented on and you are no doubt addressing offline, you’re homepage needs work.

In fact, high bounce rates almost always equal the few things that people have mentioned:

• No clear-cut call-to-action.
    • Not clear what the site is all about in under 1.5 seconds (personally, I think 5 seconds is really pushing it for grabability time).
    • Not terribly stimulating, visually or textually (shoosh, it’s a word).

If you can take what you’ve got, make it the same message but in a different place, really call out what you want the user to do, and make it a bit more pleasing to the eye, you’ll have a winner.

Slap some Goals in your Google Analytics, set up a few custom reports, and clearly define some target metrics (and goals as well like, “under 40% Bounce in the next month!”) and you’ll have double winner.

Good luck!

Steveo
    Up

Thanks Karen,

Some good advice here, and things I’d never have thought of.

I will include an address (PO Box) and ACN details.

Do you really think a phone number is a necessity for a wholly online business? There are plenty of websites out there that don’t have a phone number these days, even those that provide tangible products to people.

To be honest I’d view a site with a mobile number in the same light as one with no number at all. I’d obviuosly like to get a 1300 number, but costs wise its not in the equation yet and I’m not going to supply my home/business number.

What about Skype or messenger, or live support chat rather than a phone number? What about a Skype-in number, although I’ve no idea of costs for that.

And I thought after 30 something years I’d finally cracked the apostrophes conundrum!

Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

Steve.

Steveo
    Up

Thanks Jexley,

I’ve not been overly mindful of using meta keywords since I read a while ago that search engines don’t particularly use them anymore.

I have seen some pretty good google results even though I haven’t really pushes SEO yet, so I was quite encouraged by that, I admit it was for a smaller merchant, but still…

Will get some sort of image and call-to-action for the front page, and also for the merchant review pages as this is obviously where most organic traffic will end up.

I aim to use another webiste as the source for initial traffic which I hope will drive the content and this will arrive at either the merchant page or submit page, so I definitely need to improve these pages.

Thanks again, Steve.

Steveo
    Up
    Renee Barber, post: 13457 wrote:
    Hi Steve

You’re quite welcome! I’m glad you took my comments in the light they were intended: to help! :-)

As for web colours, as Karen said, it depends on a host of factors, so test it on a couple monitors and see how you go.

It’ll be good to see the ‘refit’ so do let us know when that’s happened.

G’luck!

Renee,

I found this rather useful site: http://www.colorcombos.com, and am going to base the site’s colours on this colour scheme:

http://www.colorcombos.com/combotester.html?color0=927B51&color1=A89166&color2=80C31C&color3=BCDD5A&color4=FF6600&color5=FBB36B&show_text=Y

Will definitely post again when the cahnges are complete.

Thank you all for your advice!

Cheers, Steve.

Tinkie
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

Steve, thanks for the colour url…

work4me
    • Total posts: 45
    Up

Steveo, post: 13475 wrote:
    Thanks Karen,

Some good advice here, and things I’d never have thought of.

I will include an address (PO Box) and ACN details.

Do you really think a phone number is a necessity for a wholly online business? There are plenty of websites out there that don’t have a phone number these days, even those that provide tangible products to people.

To be honest I’d view a site with a mobile number in the same light as one with no number at all. I’d obviuosly like to get a 1300 number, but costs wise its not in the equation yet and I’m not going to supply my home/business number.

What about Skype or messenger, or live support chat rather than a phone number? What about a Skype-in number, although I’ve no idea of costs for that.

And I thought after 30 something years I’d finally cracked the apostrophes conundrum!

Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

I’d look at getting a Voip number for the website. There are quite a few offerings out there but I know Engin can give you a number that has the same format as a landline and you can even select one that is from your area. It can be had from $10 per month, that is cheaper than any other phone number I know of.

Steveo
    Up

work4me, post: 16833 wrote:
    Hi Steve,

I’d look at getting a Voip number for the website. There are quite a few offerings out there but I know Engin can give you a number that has the same format as a landline and you can even select one that is from your area. It can be had from $10 per month, that is cheaper than any other phone number I know of.

Thanks Chris,

Will definitely take a look.

Cheers, Steve.

Steveo
    Up

After some research I’ve decided to go with Skype and a local (075) SkypeIn number, got three months with voice mail for $24, which is pretty good value, could have got it cheaper had I bought 12 months upfront, just thought I’d give it a go for 3 months first to see how it goes.

Cheers, Steve.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.