Home – New Forums Get productive How to manage information

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ondetto
    • Total posts: 110
    Up
    ::

I am looking for a way of managing information in a smarter way than my current collection of Word documents. The information is mainly regarding business processes and technical / marketing processes that I have written down so I can refer back to them when necessary, rather than just having it all in my head.

It is mainly internal information that wouldn’t really be of interest to anyone else, but I would like to structure it better (putting my E-myth systems in place!)

I was thinking of setting up a Wiki behind a login so that I can then search for the information and easily keep it updated, and I could provide the login to any sub contractors if needed. Does anyone have some tips on information management / wiki software etc? How do you manage information in your business?

Thanks,
    Frederike

Kate Theofanes
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Hi Frederike,

Great question! I’m about to set up all of mine on google’s sites tool. There is a template there for you to follow called “company intranet” – meaning an internet site just for internal purposes.

As I learn more about the tips and tricks, I’ll share… but knowing google, it’ll be easy to use.

http://www.google.com/sites/help/intl/en/overview.html

Let me know how you go! :-)

Kate
    Effective Business
    http://www.effectivebusiness.com.au

ScarlettR
    • Total posts: 396
    Up

Thanks for sharing Kate, that is awesome.

Ondetto
    Up

Hi Kate,

that looks like a great tool – I will investigate! The project wiki in particular looks interesting.

I’m also looking at Dokuwiki, which is an open source wiki software. I have a lot of “bits and bobs”, mainly technical tricks and processes that I’d like to document, so there will be a lot of individual articles / posts to put into whatever software I choose, and it needs to be searchable too.

Thanks for your help!
    Frederike

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Frederike,

If you migrate into an exchange environment you can use public folders that way. You will also be future proofing your concept and hopefully enjoying the mobility benefits that come with that tech.

Otherwise on a budget google docs should serve the same purpose or another online / offline folder syncing tool like Sugarsync maybe carbonite.

Great book by the way.

Steve

easypeas
    • Total posts: 80
    Up

There’s heaps of wiki’s to choose from ( http://www.wikimatrix.org/ ). I used to use a wiki for document management some time back, but now am back at files.
    To be honest I find spotlight (search on a mac) good enough. I still have my files in a folder structure, but I never actually hunt for a file, I just use spotlight to search for a phrase or word that I know is in the file I’m looking for. Quicker than any wiki :)

cheers,
    Gav

Ondetto
    Up

Thanks for your ideas, Steve and Gav. Sounds like both of you are quite happy to just use shared folders – maybe the Wiki is overkill after all? I thought it might be better than my collection of files but maybe it’s more trouble than it’s worth. I’ll have a closer look at a Wiki software and see if it’s worth the time of implementing and maintaining it… At the moment I’ve dumped all my files into a Dropbox folder, so it is possible to search through it there but just a bit messy.

Frederike

YourBizMadeEasy
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

Our business relies heavily on cloud storage – Dropbox, Evernote and Google Docs. We find Dropbox and Evernote great for sharing information with others and for the ability to access documents from your smart phone using the apps. Evernote is great for storing all kinds of documents, including PDFS and photographs – amazingly it can pick up text within PDF and photo files so you can do a search for a key word and it will find it easily within all formats.

We also find Google Drive is great for shared spreadsheets and documents where multiple people can collaborate.

Brent Foster
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Check out the TRIM software from HP. It’s an electronic document and records management system (eDRMS) that’s widely used across government. It’s a robust document management system that allows you to manage information, version control your documents, view almost any document file type, and it has a complete audit history. My agencies uses it for everything from emails and documents, to maps and ariel photography. The benefit of the version control and audit history is that it gives you a level of security and traceability in the event that things go sour with a project. It’s also accessible via a web interface.

WhatsThePlanDan
    Participant
    • Total posts: 297
    Up
    Brent Foster, post: 159724 wrote:
    Check out the TRIM software from HP. It’s an electronic document and records management system (eDRMS) that’s widely used across government. It’s a robust document management system that allows you to manage information, version control your documents, view almost any document file type, and it has a complete audit history. My agencies uses it for everything from emails and documents, to maps and ariel photography. The benefit of the version control and audit history is that it gives you a level of security and traceability in the event that things go sour with a project. It’s also accessible via a web interface.

Hi Brent,

While TRIM is a great tool it really is quite a lot of overkill for a small business – especially one man bands.

In our business we recommend (and use) Box.com – it has a lot of the same features as something like Trim but at a much-lower cost. It is also a lot more intuitive and easy to use than Trim.

In the personal version (which is free for 5Gb), you can open almost any filetype from the mobile app or online, integrates with a heap of different tools (mobile apps, Google Apps, MS Office amongst others), has great collaboration support and awesome security (an area that Dropbox suffers from – particularly in the free version).

From the business version up it also has full-text search, integrates with a heap of different tools (mobile apps, Google Apps, MS Office amongst others), has great collaboration support and audit trail capability.

And just to clarify – we have no association with Box. We are simply happy users and fans.

Cheers
    Daniel

arvoApp
    • Total posts: 50
    Up
    Ondetto, post: 156016 wrote:
    Thanks for your ideas, Steve and Gav. Sounds like both of you are quite happy to just use shared folders – maybe the Wiki is overkill after all? I thought it might be better than my collection of files but maybe it’s more trouble than it’s worth. I’ll have a closer look at a Wiki software and see if it’s worth the time of implementing and maintaining it… At the moment I’ve dumped all my files into a Dropbox folder, so it is possible to search through it there but just a bit messy.

Frederike

Hi Frederike,

We also use Dropbox to store documents we need to share with the team. It also acts as a backup system.

If you’re looking for a information management system that has collaborative capabilities but without the hassle to create folder hierarchy you might want to take a look at Yammer.com. We use it too as a private collaborative tool.

Cheers,
    Vince

GDI
    • Total posts: 19
    Up
    Ondetto, post: 156016 wrote:

Frederike

Hello Ondetto :)

As a new member of Flying Solo this is my first reply in the forums.

I had a problem similar to you, when needing access to files, documents and information, when away from my desktop. When I upgraded Office 365 Home Premium (from the trial version) I got access to SkyDrive with 20gb of storage of cloud space. If you do not have Office 365 any can download SkyDrive for free and get access to 7gb of cloud space. This is good if you use different hardware (e.g. pc, laptop, tablet, smartphone) as there is also a SkyDrive App, so accessing it anywhere with any device.

I also use this as a secondary backup if anything happened to my pc and or, my external (harddrives) NAS system. It may sound like an overkill of backup etc., but a number of years ago I lost almost everything with my business when the harddrive died. I spent many days going through USB sticks trying to find my information and tearing my hair out (sorry for getting of the subject).

I like SkyDrive because I can share and give access to a document/s and or file/s to my team. Another example how I use it is, currently I am having my website re-written and I created a folder and gave access (only to this folder) to my web developer and she places images, etc on the process of the website. This is also good if you have very large files that need to be emailed. You can removes access to others at any time, and any document/s and file/s.

Kind regards
    Debbie :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.