Home – New Forums Get productive How to manage time for social media

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    bernardlau
    • Total posts: 33
    Up
    ::

Have a phone that can allow you to post onto your social networks easily.
    Now when you’re in the bathroom doing your business, you’ll be able to update/inform people on your network.

It really depends on your business and how interactive it should be.

chexton
    • Total posts: 46
    Up

There are some neat tricks here. I feel that engaging in social media can be extremely time consuming but also rewarding.

My advice is to automate whatever you can. Broadly speaking, set aside a day each week / two weeks to plan emails you want to send out (perhaps advertising a new product or features), schedule Tweets for the upcoming week / fornight and put together a cohesive set of messages.

I wrote a blog post on it this week that I feel is really relevant! Using things like CampaignMonitor (an Australian company) and BufferApp really makes this process easy.

http://invc.me/posts/put_your_marketing_on_autopilot

chexton
    • Total posts: 46
    Up

There are some neat tricks here. I feel that engaging in social media can be extremely time consuming but also rewarding.

My advice is to automate whatever you can. Broadly speaking, set aside a day each week / two weeks to plan emails you want to send out (perhaps advertising a new product or features), schedule Tweets for the upcoming week / fornight and put together a cohesive set of messages.

I wrote a blog post on it this week that I feel is really relevant! Using things like CampaignMonitor (an Australian company) and BufferApp really makes this process easy.

http://invc.me/posts/put_your_marketing_on_autopilot

Calflowers
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

I’m also addicted to social media but I always limit myself to at least 30 minutes a day everyday to keep myself updated. Sometimes I use an alarm clock to help me control my time.

Calflowers
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

I’m also addicted to social media but I always limit myself to at least 30 minutes a day everyday to keep myself updated. Sometimes I use an alarm clock to help me control my time.

Dane Pymble
    • Total posts: 227
    Up
    OliviaY, post: 106417 wrote:
    Hello everyone, I’m currently feeling like I have practically no time to keep track of what’s going on with my Social media business accounts. I’m working a lot lately, and by the end of the day I have practically no time or energy to log in and update my accounts.
    How can I manage better my time, and how often should I be updating them so my customers don’t feel left aside.
    I would appreciate your advices :)

I think time and energy drifts towards what an individual most enjoys doing. When you enjoy doing something you make the time and you have an abundance of energy to apply to it.

Don’t force yourself to commit to a social media strategy just because it’s the done thing (having said that I enjoy keeping my Facebook & Twitter pages up to date with regular posts and it takes me about 5-10 minutes a day. Take a look at Hoosuite if you have multiple social media accounts, great time saver!).

Do what comes naturally to you and build from there. When you think of something important to post, post it, when you have the time and energy of course.

What I am getting at is don’t waste precious energy worrying about what you are supposed to be doing in respect of social media. Focus on what you do well and if you have the resources outsource what you don’t do well or have little time/energy to do.

Dane Pymble
    • Total posts: 227
    Up
    OliviaY, post: 106417 wrote:
    Hello everyone, I’m currently feeling like I have practically no time to keep track of what’s going on with my Social media business accounts. I’m working a lot lately, and by the end of the day I have practically no time or energy to log in and update my accounts.
    How can I manage better my time, and how often should I be updating them so my customers don’t feel left aside.
    I would appreciate your advices :)

I think time and energy drifts towards what an individual most enjoys doing. When you enjoy doing something you make the time and you have an abundance of energy to apply to it.

Don’t force yourself to commit to a social media strategy just because it’s the done thing (having said that I enjoy keeping my Facebook & Twitter pages up to date with regular posts and it takes me about 5-10 minutes a day. Take a look at Hoosuite if you have multiple social media accounts, great time saver!).

Do what comes naturally to you and build from there. When you think of something important to post, post it, when you have the time and energy of course.

What I am getting at is don’t waste precious energy worrying about what you are supposed to be doing in respect of social media. Focus on what you do well and if you have the resources outsource what you don’t do well or have little time/energy to do.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Dane Pymble, post: 109508 wrote:
    Take a look at Hoosuite if you have multiple social media accounts, great time saver!).I would recommend against this unless you run 10’s of accounts. It doesn’t really save any time. I would especially not use a third party app to publish to 2 or more social media accounts.

Most businesses have one or two FB and one Twitter and that is it.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Dane Pymble, post: 109508 wrote:
    Take a look at Hoosuite if you have multiple social media accounts, great time saver!).I would recommend against this unless you run 10’s of accounts. It doesn’t really save any time. I would especially not use a third party app to publish to 2 or more social media accounts.

Most businesses have one or two FB and one Twitter and that is it.

missD
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

I don’t think you have to spend too much time checking your social media networks. A 1 hour check and manage is more than enough.

missD
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

I don’t think you have to spend too much time checking your social media networks. A 1 hour check and manage is more than enough.

Brett N/Nerds Computer
    • Total posts: 76
    Up

Hi Olivia,

Like every business activity social media is a demand competing for your time. In this respect it is not special. Think of it as any other marketing activity.

Work out your expected return in terms of sales. Then divide that by hourly charge rate. That will give you the maximum amount of time you spend on any given social media activity. Now compare that to other marketing activities and see where you get the highest return on investment for your marketing dollar.

If you are getting a low return per hour don’t focus on it. Do the minimum necessary to get word other. Conversely if you are doing really well from social media then make it a key part of your marketing campaign.

Like every marketing activity the name of the game is tracking the source of sales. We regularly help client get involved in social media. A key part of this is tracking their success or otherwise. What works for one business will not necessarily work for another. Sure there are some strategies that almost always work but even these are not a certainty and this is why it is so important to track results.

Cheers,

Brett

Brett N/Nerds Computer
    • Total posts: 76
    Up

Hi Olivia,

Like every business activity social media is a demand competing for your time. In this respect it is not special. Think of it as any other marketing activity.

Work out your expected return in terms of sales. Then divide that by hourly charge rate. That will give you the maximum amount of time you spend on any given social media activity. Now compare that to other marketing activities and see where you get the highest return on investment for your marketing dollar.

If you are getting a low return per hour don’t focus on it. Do the minimum necessary to get word other. Conversely if you are doing really well from social media then make it a key part of your marketing campaign.

Like every marketing activity the name of the game is tracking the source of sales. We regularly help client get involved in social media. A key part of this is tracking their success or otherwise. What works for one business will not necessarily work for another. Sure there are some strategies that almost always work but even these are not a certainty and this is why it is so important to track results.

Cheers,

Brett

SavvySME
    • Total posts: 201
    Up

It’s all well and good to be talking about ROI on social media and then working out what to do from there and if you have that luxury, it’s a very good strategy. But when I talk to a lot of small businesses that is the exact problem that they have – working out if and when there will be an ROI? Without dedicating a good amount of resources to it, it’s hard to answer that question.

The best idea is to outsource it. If you can’t afford a full time or part time person there are a lot of options:

* Apply for marketing interns from universities.
    * Ask around for people that have kids or pepel they know wanting to get some experience in a business
    * Outsource it to someone overseas for a reasonable rate (usually around $1-$2 an hour) You can hire them on a part-time basis to save on costs.

The only risk with hiring cheap outsource labour is the language barrier. You can get around this however by organising the arrangement like this:

1. Get them to do research on a topic and return a list of interesting articles to you on a regular basis. To make this easier for them and ensure that you get good quality content, sent them a list of your favourite blogs on the topic and ask them to find different media types. e.g. video, infographic, photo etc.

2. You just need to go through and select the ones that are interesting to you, this also doubles as research and learning time for you.

3. Write a short message next to each article you find interesting and have your VA to schedule them on a platform like crowdbooster. You may even develop a timetable for them to follow so they can just schedule it at the appropriate times.

4. Check your social media accounts once in the morning over coffee, once before or during lunch and once more in your afternoon break.

This cuts your Social Media time to about 15 minutes a day (minus going through content).

I hope these tips help :) (I guess having been the head of social media for a large online agency in Australia also helped me identify what works best)

Thanks for reading

Wendy Huang

SavvySME
    • Total posts: 201
    Up

It’s all well and good to be talking about ROI on social media and then working out what to do from there and if you have that luxury, it’s a very good strategy. But when I talk to a lot of small businesses that is the exact problem that they have – working out if and when there will be an ROI? Without dedicating a good amount of resources to it, it’s hard to answer that question.

The best idea is to outsource it. If you can’t afford a full time or part time person there are a lot of options:

* Apply for marketing interns from universities.
    * Ask around for people that have kids or pepel they know wanting to get some experience in a business
    * Outsource it to someone overseas for a reasonable rate (usually around $1-$2 an hour) You can hire them on a part-time basis to save on costs.

The only risk with hiring cheap outsource labour is the language barrier. You can get around this however by organising the arrangement like this:

1. Get them to do research on a topic and return a list of interesting articles to you on a regular basis. To make this easier for them and ensure that you get good quality content, sent them a list of your favourite blogs on the topic and ask them to find different media types. e.g. video, infographic, photo etc.

2. You just need to go through and select the ones that are interesting to you, this also doubles as research and learning time for you.

3. Write a short message next to each article you find interesting and have your VA to schedule them on a platform like crowdbooster. You may even develop a timetable for them to follow so they can just schedule it at the appropriate times.

4. Check your social media accounts once in the morning over coffee, once before or during lunch and once more in your afternoon break.

This cuts your Social Media time to about 15 minutes a day (minus going through content).

I hope these tips help :) (I guess having been the head of social media for a large online agency in Australia also helped me identify what works best)

Thanks for reading

Wendy Huang

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.