Home – New Forums Logistics How to Open an Import and Export Business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    thanhdao
    • Total posts: 15
    Up
    ::

HI everyone, This is my first post for this fourm. My Name is Thanh Dao and Im currently studying at Monash Uni (Victoria). Im really interesting in open an business . I would like to open an import and export business. Honestly, I never do it before therefore I have no clue how to begin or what do i have to do first. I really need some guide for this. My hometown is Viet Nam and I would like to build a route between Viet Nam and Australia. really appreciate any advice…

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Thanh Dao,

Welcome to the forum.

I’m afraid we’ll need a bit more information before we can give you any advice. For example, what type of products are you thinking of importing / exporting? What kind of experience do you have? And what are you studying.

The more information you can give us, the better we’ll be able to answer your questions.

Good luck,
    Jayne

thanhdao
    Up
    FS Concierge, post: 70145 wrote:
    Hi Thanh Dao,

Welcome to the forum.

I’m afraid we’ll need a bit more information before we can give you any advice. For example, what type of products are you thinking of importing / exporting? What kind of experience do you have? And what are you studying.

The more information you can give us, the better we’ll be able to answer your questions.

Good luck,
    Jayne

Firstly, Thanks for reply
    My family have a factory processing frozen seafood in viet nam and they already export to some asian country such as japan korea, china and also new zealand. we have a wide range of squid and fish that we get from fisherman and then frozen it and packing it then export to oversea. But they never export these product to Australia because we thought it is difficult to do it due to strict regulation to bring those product to Australia. Im not really sure how to do it either. I have tried to find some advice from friend and they said that I should register a company business but I not sure how to do it either.
    I am currently study in business course but in general and it do not help me when dealing with import and export business. I really need some guideline about opening an import and export business.

DJ_m
    • Total posts: 147
    Up

You’ll find there are already significant trade routes between Vietnam and Australia. Trying to import directly would be too costly as you can’t get any economies of scale with just one producer (your family business). You would be better finding an importer who would be willing to take your products in to an established line of products.

Go in to any store that might sell these type of products and look at the labels on the products, they will nearly always have the importer name, address and phone number. Contact them to see if they will import your products for you. The margin will be much less but you don;t have to worry about sales, marketing etc.

Good luck.

DM

thanhdao
    Up
    DJ_m, post: 70504 wrote:
    You’ll find there are already significant trade routes between Vietnam and Australia. Trying to import directly would be too costly as you can’t get any economies of scale with just one producer (your family business). You would be better finding an importer who would be willing to take your products in to an established line of products.

Go in to any store that might sell these type of products and look at the labels on the products, they will nearly always have the importer name, address and phone number. Contact them to see if they will import your products for you. The margin will be much less but you don;t have to worry about sales, marketing etc.

Good luck.

DM

i already thought about it. But Im afraid there are many procedure and law that I have to due before I meet any supplier or retailer. Therefore, I would like to know more detail about those procedure in case supplier and retailer may ask in advance. I also attempt to seek for some agent who could deal with these matter but unsuccessful. I also found in the internet a course for import/export business. This is a seft-study course which cost me about 200 AUD for just download the material. Should i sign in for that or can I just found what i need in the internet?…Thanks

DJ_m
    • Total posts: 147
    Up
    thanhdao, post: 71056 wrote:
    i already thought about it. But Im afraid there are many procedure and law that I have to due before I meet any supplier or retailer. Therefore, I would like to know more detail about those procedure in case supplier and retailer may ask in advance. I also attempt to seek for some agent who could deal with these matter but unsuccessful. I also found in the internet a course for import/export business. This is a seft-study course which cost me about 200 AUD for just download the material. Should i sign in for that or can I just found what i need in the internet?…Thanks

$200 sounds cheap but only if you get the information you need. Information on SEO can easily be found online for free but getting it in a usable, well ordered format for $200 would be money well spent. You’d have to asses the merits of any individual program/book/course. I would be wary of online courses on the whole but if you research well you should be ok.

I think though your main thing to consider here is that if you are going to import directly you need customers. Learning the ins & outs of procedures and laws for importing food products may be the easy part… but where are you going to sell your product? Until you have done your market research and believe you can secure orders then the rest may just be a waste of time.

Kennethti
    • Total posts: 415
    Up

Good morning Thanhdao,

The Australian Government publishes a number of topics in relation to import and export and requirements. Here are a number of links for you to look up:

http://www.business.gov.au/BusinessTopics/Importingandexporting/pages/default.aspx

You could also call the Small Business Support line on 1800 77 7275 to get some initial assistance.

As things progress and your business plan starts to become more solid, I would recommend that you start speaking to an accountant, a lawyer, and perhaps a business coach.

Hope this helps.

Interest_bus
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Thandao

Do you have an email address I can have so I can contact you ? I do have some unique ideas.

Cheers

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    Interest_bus, post: 80628 wrote:
    Thandao

Do you have an email address I can have so I can contact you ? I do have some unique ideas.

Cheers

If you click on Thandao’s name in his post above, you will see the option to send him an email. This will go to the email he registered with, rather than a message to his control panel here on the forum.

Wendy :)

Pinnacle TMS
    • Total posts: 76
    Up

Hi Thandao – Welcome to the FS forum. Not sure if you have seen the Australian Government’s site regarding points to consider for importing exporting businesses – with a focus on IP – see http://www.ipaustralia.gov.au/ippassport/index.shtml. Hope this helps. If you need assistance with protection of your business name/logo we would be happy to help. There are also others on here that can assist as well. Cheers, Suzanne

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.