Home – New Forums Starting your journey How to pay wages to staff

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    rthorntn
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    ::

Hi

Thanks everyone for all the invaluable help in the past.

I have an employee starting tomorrow and I am having trouble figuring out if I should be paying him his months wage two weeks from tomorrow, so two weeks in arrears and two weeks in advance?

Cheers
    Richard

TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up

I think ultimately it depends on your payroll policy. because this is your first employee, you can probably make it up. Some examples of the ways I’ve been paid over my career:

when i worked in fast food, it was fortnightly, in arrears, based on hours worked.
    when i worked for the government, it was fortnightly, and almost certainly it was in arrears. (and it wasn’t a fortnight from when i started, it lined up with every other employee..)
    A consulting company in melbourne, I was paid on the 14th – 2 in advance, 2 in arrears.
    An it provider in London – end of the month, in arrears (and the entire company had pre-payday pizza on the last friday of the month)

I would consider how the payment pattern fits with your cash flow, as well as what the individual might need (since you can do that at this point)

Happy2010
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Generally you pay in arrears. Check with the award however for your minimum requirements. I know some of the awards I deal with don’t have a monthly option. Only weekly or fortnightly.

Cheers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.