Home Forums Money matters How to pay yourself as a business owner?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Calypso333
    • Total posts: 1

Hi,

As a small business owner, what is the best way to pay yourself a wage?
    Do you need to pay yourself superannuation and tax like a regular employee?
    Do you put yourself on payroll as an employee?
    Should you just draw money from your profits and if so what legalities need to take place?

Thanks.
    Kellie

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472
    Calypso333, post: 267420, member: 116093 wrote:
    Hi,

Should you just draw money from your profits and if so what legalities need to take place?

Thanks.
    Kellie

What is your business structure. ie. Pty Ltd, sole trader, partnership, etc, it makes a difference

JamesMillar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,675

Well first thing is that a sole trader can’t employ themselves because you can’t contract with yourself. Same for individual partner. As Bert said – it all comes down to what structure you operate within AND what state you operate. Remuneration strategies vary from state to state because of different laws regarding workcover, payroll tax etc.

Kellie it might be time to spend some money and see an accountant.

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805

I have a Pty Ltd, and I pay myself as an employee IE Pay payroll tax and super. I am on the payroll just like my other employees.

RunicConvenience
    • Total posts: 186

in regards to things like this I think you should speak to your accountant when setting up the business first and not brainstorm from internet forums because setting up anything “wrong” here can hurt you a lot in the future. so you want to make sure you do all the due diligence required before signing or setting any standards.

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,121

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo [USER=116093]@Calypso333[/USER] .

It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining our community and posting.

Cheers

Benny Browning
    • Total posts: 3
    Hi,

Thanks.
    Kellie

Hi,

Thanks.
    Kellie
    Definitely pay yourself a wage as a business owner! Give yourself what you need to survive but retain what you can into a cash holding for the business so you retain funds in order to grow the business.
    I am on the payroll my book keeper treats me like any employee I get paid a wage and pay super etc etc
    Ben
    1800 For Promo

rachaelshaw7
    • Total posts: 4

what about the pros and cons of paying yourself via dividend?

Benny Browning

Definitely best to speak with your accountant and tailor the best solution for you. Everything cash wise you pull out of the company you will need to pay tax on. At least with weekly earnings you know where you are at and you can plan your personal life like anyone else. Try and make your business cash reserve as positive as you can so when the big opportunities present you have the capital to invest and make them happen!
    Ben Browning

JamesMillar
    Participant
    Benny Browning, post: 267469, member: 116109 wrote:
    Definitely pay yourself a wage as a business owner! Give yourself what you need to survive but retain what you can into a cash holding for the business so you retain funds in order to grow the business.
    I am on the payroll my book keeper treats me like any employee I get paid a wage and pay super etc etc
    Ben
    1800 For Promo

There are no definites with the information as presented. There are numerous factors that could result in significant tax savings that need to considered (unless of course you want to pay more tax than necessary – in which case Australia thanks you for the donation).

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472
    JamesMillar, post: 267712, member: 5318 wrote:
    – in which case Australia thanks you for the donation).

A little like people who choose to speed or break other road rules, I always thank them for their voluntary contribution

Benny Browning
    JamesMillar, post: 267712, member: 5318 wrote:
    There are no definites with the information as presented. There are numerous factors that could result in significant tax savings that need to considered (unless of course you want to pay more tax than necessary – in which case Australia thanks you for the donation).

I completely understand where you are coming from [USER=5318]@JamesMillar[/USER] but I needed to have a consistent income stream in which to present to banks so to successfully purchase property. Paying myself weekly gave me consistency in income. I’m pleased to say it has assisted my family by delivering shelter in a safe suburb. (Have I contributed too much?)
    Now I have purchased would you be suggesting there is a better way for me to be receiving regular (less taxed) income from my business? Not that I don’t like new parks and roads which I have clearly been putting my two cents worth into!!
    Cheers,
    Ben
    [Link Removed: Please set up your signature for any links]

JamesMillar
    Participant
    Benny Browning, post: 267717, member: 116109 wrote:
    I completely understand where you are coming from [USER=5318]@JamesMillar[/USER] but I needed to have a consistent income stream in which to present to banks so to successfully purchase property. Paying myself weekly gave me consistency in income. I’m pleased to say it has assisted my family by delivering shelter in a safe suburb. (Have I contributed too much?)
    Now I have purchased would you be suggesting there is a better way for me to be receiving regular (less taxed) income from my business? Not that I don’t like new parks and roads which I have clearly been putting my two cents worth into!!
    Cheers,
    Ben
    1800 For Promo

Borrowing is certainly very important and there is no question that the presentation of your income can effect a loan application. If you go through retail banking channels (branch or cold call to bank) they will tell you they require PAYG payment summary wage income in order to process a loan application for you efficiently. However, if you ask for a small business banker (they will generally have one available for any micro or small business with an ABN – no matter how small you are) then they can work around these issues and make an application that takes into account business income in other forms (trust distributions, dividends and retained company profits). Mortgage brokers can also do this – although its more work for them so their preference is always wage based income. More work for them is not your problem in my view. That’s their job and if dividends save you thousands in tax but they have to spend an extra few hours with an application in order to get their commission then so be it.

So the short answer is that you have a company then your accountant should be reviewing your tax position before 30 June each year to consider opportunities and devise a plan for a potential combination of wages and franked dividends – potentially streamed to other family members. There are all sorts of factors to consider from year to year and late May early June is a good time because the Federal Budget will be done and there are often new opportunities that can require some finesse to access. In some cases we can determine within 5 to 10 minutes that tax planning will be of little net benefit so we do not proceed with a tax planning engagement (unless the client really wants it for their own peace of mind – and some do which is fine).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.