Home – New Forums Starting your journey How to prepare documents for the printers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    KidsActivitiesDelivered
    • Total posts: 50
    Up
    ::

I will also ring the printers tomorrow but it would be good to get this organised while I have time today.

I am getting a stack of A5 cards printed, with lots of different cards in the print run.

I know I need to put the cards into PDF files and I have a converter which produces a high quality PDF.

What I would like to know is how to set out the file so the printer knows what is the front of the card and what is the back for each different card. Separate PDF files would be awkward as there are 25 different double sided cards.

Do I just save it in the middle of an A4 and above the print write Side A, then, Side B etc?

Sarah

sam_leader
    • Total posts: 660
    Up

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to Flying Solo.

I’m sure you’re not the only soloist working on a Sunday!

I think your approach makes sense but agree calling the printer to double check is also worthwhile. Also hopefully you will see proofs before sign off so you can ensure they have got it right.

Love your weekend work,

Sam

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Sarah

Best bet is to speak to the printers, although from my experience the printers want separate files for each side…. they also tend to need bleeds built in to the image as well and then there are some other printer requirements like (oops think it was called) flattening or embedding of fonts..

Personally, if you need an answer tonight and as some requirements will vary, if you have identified a printer you want to use visit their web site as most have print requirement docs on the sites themselves that you can work to…

All the best..

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Hi Sarah – each printer requires print PDFs to their own specs. Although there are many versions of PDF if art is sent overseas or to newspapers for example the PDFs have to be Acrobat 4 with all Images flattened if they have transparency and converted to cmyk (ie no spot or rgb colors). If colours go to the edge of the page then each page also needs a bleed – usually 3mm all round. The safest way to do this is to export to eps flattened and then distilled in Acrobat Distiller to the printer specs.
    You will need to check with your printer.

Best wishes.

The Hobbit
    Participant
    • Total posts: 309
    Up

KarenC pretty much said it all.
    Ask your printer first and give each file a name that explains itself

e.g. Card1-A5-front.pdf, Card1-A5-back.pdf

ShanDesign
    • Total posts: 67
    Up

Hi Sarah,

I hope you got it all sorted!

I would recommend that individual files would be best with a name to indicate what they are. Saving the file in the middle of an A4 size will create extra work and possibly set up fees in some cases. Specs can vary slightly between printers but commonly, the below works best:

• CMYK colour
    • All fonts converted to outlines
    • 2mm bleed
    • Crop marks

Good luck! I’m sure they will turn out great :)
    Shannon

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.