Home – New Forums Marketing mastery How to promote a promotion using social media?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up
    ::

I am running a promotion where the prize is some free accommodation (see first link in sig)

Now I would like to make the most of social media to spread the word.

I have made announcements about it several times through twitter @accommplus and via Facebook http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=507269478 and http://www.facebook.com/pages/AccommodationPlus/128829767136660?ref=sgm, plus on LinkedIn

I have ‘share’ links on both the entry page and the ‘thank you’ page.

I would have thought folks would have like to let others know and it would have spread more.

Any ideas on how to get some SM momentum happening??

danmac30
    • Total posts: 25
    Up

Hi,
    A good idea but I think you need to have an integrated approach and campaign. I would do an online and offline campaign

Ideas:
    Look for the places that are likely to promote accommodation and list your offer on the social boards.
    Tweet it to your social group
    Go to Last Minute Deals or Whatif and do a listing on the boards.
    Do a blog post if you have a blog
    add some key words to your website with free accommodation or discount listed.
    Get it listed on delicious or another bookmark sites
    Do a media release and list it on PR wire for social media distribution.

Hope this helps.

King
    Up

Thanks for your input.

Ideas:

Look for the places that are likely to promote accommodation and list your offer on the social boards.

You mean like forums?

Tweet it to your social group

Yes done that

Go to Last Minute Deals or Whatif and do a listing on the boards.

They have boards?
    I am sure they would delte a promo from a competing website pretty quick ;)

Do a blog post if you have a blog

Yes have done that, plus on my specials blog and to my shopping specials email list

add some key words to your website with free accommodation or discount listed.

Will do that – but not really social media

Get it listed on delicious or another bookmark sites

Yes I must do that myself, but do other people pick up on what I bookmark?

Do a media release and list it on PR wire for social media distribution.

Yes, this has been done

Hope this helps.

All good ideas. Looking at other aspects – people say social media can get the word spread fast, but it just does not seem to be happening :(

kbrookes
    • Total posts: 265
    Up

I think I know why your social media initiatives aren’t going as well as you’d like.

You’ve a lot of twitter followers – 100 times more than me, in fact!

But your twitter page is not focused on your accommodation business. It’s branded towards promoting your caricature business and the tweets are a mix of business, personal and random. You’re not drawing a following that’s focused around tourism and cheap hotel deals.

I happily retweet a lot of posts that friends post on forums – but only if they’re relevant to my business page. Everything else I post to my personal account.

You’re also not using Hashtags at all – you could be using appropriate tags so those posts get found by people looking for those kinds of posts.

The Facebook page isn’t massively engaging – it posts a lot of deals, but it never asks any questions. You’re broadcasting, not having a conversation. You could also consider putting together a fanpage for those who don’t like the site that promotes you a little better – check out mine in my signature. People who don’t ‘Like’ you yet, see that page first.

If you go to my site, my most recent blog post is about social media engagement and my twitter feed is almost exclusively about online marketing.

I also think your site may be putting potential customers off. Forgiving for saying so, but it looks a little dodgy. What’s your traffic like? Are you using Google Analytics? Tracking your top pages, exit pages and traffic sources?

King
    Up

I think I know why your social media initiatives aren’t going as well as you’d like.

You’ve a lot of twitter followers – 100 times more than me, in fact!

On the caricatures twitter yes, but not on the accommodation twitter.

But your twitter page is not focused on your accommodation business. It’s branded towards promoting your caricature business and the tweets are a mix of business, personal and random. You’re not drawing a following that’s focused around tourism and cheap hotel deals.

It is 110% focused, its just you looked at the wrong one. (it is twitter.com/accommplus )The caricatures account, well is more on caricatures and etheral things. But I take your point on that one not being as focused as it could be on caricatures.

You’re also not using Hashtags at all – you could be using appropriate tags so those posts get found by people looking for those kinds of posts.

So # matter that much? I prefer to search by words… hashtags can be too specific I ahve found I miss stuff.

The Facebook page isn’t massively engaging – it posts a lot of deals, but it never asks any questions. You’re broadcasting, not having a conversation. You could also consider putting together a fanpage for those who don’t like the site that promotes you a little better – check out mine in my signature. People who don’t ‘Like’ you yet, see that page first.

Did you look at my generic facebook page or the accommodation fan page? Sorry a bit confused by what you mean here. Also is there any way to see view stats on facebook? Having a following of one does not encourage me to be asking questions.

Apart from that I am specifically wanting to promote the promotion only at this stage, so this means what is needed to get people to RT and put on their Facebook pages or click the share licks on the promo information and post entry submission page.

I also think your site may be putting potential customers off. Forgiving for saying so, but it looks a little dodgy.

Must admit I am more that a little taken aback by that. Care to expand?

kbrookes
    Up
    King, post: 43775 wrote:
    On the caricatures twitter yes, but not on the accommodation twitter.

It is 110% focused, its just you looked at the wrong one. (it is twitter.com/accommplus )The caricatures account, well is more on caricatures and etheral things. But I take your point on that one not being as focused as it could be on caricatures.

Just the opposite! You’re clearly doing something right on your caricatures page!

If anything, it’s because you’ve shown personality and character on that page – it is fairly focused on illustration and caricatures in general, at least before you started promoting AccomPlus there.

On your caricatures account you engage and communicate, you don’t hoard your viewers, you retweet, share and have conversations.

Your AccomPlus account is just a broadcast – you’re not listening, you’re telling.

It’s a corporate face. Social media is about genuine human communication.

Regarding the account confusion – when I perform a search via Twitter using ‘Accommodation Plus’ it’s only the caricatures account that comes up.

So # matter that much? I prefer to search by words… hashtags can be too specific I ahve found I miss stuff.

Do a search on #travel and look at the volume and frequency of results.

Start searching for hashtags that are appropriate to you – no point in just using #travel if it’s not 100% focused on your offer – and then start using them.

Did you look at my generic facebook page or the accommodation fan page? Sorry a bit confused by what you mean here. Also is there any way to see view stats on facebook? Having a following of one does not encourage me to be asking questions.

This is you, right?

You’ve tripled your fans, probably just by posting this.

I understand what you’re saying, it can be extremely disheartening to be pushing this stuff out there and get no response.

You never know what’s going to grab people’s fancy, however.

As an example, I posted a question about cinema advertising on my FB page this week – I couldn’t believe the response I got, it just seemed to touch a nerve. It’s still relevant to my area, but surprising that it would evoke such a response.

I also try to repost interesting, relavent stories from around the web. I’m careful about how I phrase the posts and use Postling so that I can send out my posts to Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn all at once. Every day I go through the relevant news sites and look for interesting content and setup a day’s schedule of posts in advance.

As you can see tho, it’s still hit and miss. I’m finding my feet and growing steadily and seeing more success with Twitter than Facebook at the moment.

That said, having a custom FB landing page has already landed me more work – it just creates a really positive impression up front and allows you to create an effective call to action.

Apart from that I am specifically wanting to promote the promotion only at this stage, so this means what is needed to get people to RT and put on their Facebook pages or click the share licks on the promo information and post entry submission page.

But what’s in it for them? You need to make it interesting enough for them to do so and it needs to feel like a conversation that they can join in on.

Must admit I am more that a little taken aback by that. Care to expand?

Yes, sure – I’m sorry, BTW. I know that’s a harsh thing to say and I’m sure others will disagree with me. But that’s just my perspective – I probably wouldn’t book with you.

Here’s why:

• The template looks a little unpolished and basic, particularly the choice of colours and graphics. Even the logo looks as if little thought or care was put into it.
    • There’s no strong call to action, even on the promotion page.
    • The ‘Best Price Guarantee’ is the strongest element on the page, but says nothing: everyone says that. Take a look at how HostelBookers have created a compelling point of difference – you’re saying nearly the same thing, but the way they’ve said it is more credible.
    • I know caricatures are important to you. In many cases they can be used well – I just don’t think this is one of those cases. The SocialMediaExaminer mascot has a theme that fits with the entire site. Yours doesn’t seem to fit and makes me feel uneasy about the site.
    • Pop-ins (such as the one for your promotion) are typical of untrustworthy sites, although mainstream media are using them more and more. It puts me off.

Here’s a few sites that I thought looked good and trustworthy – but all for different reasons:

HostelBookers
    Basic logo, but the site itself is highly polished with really nice modern presentation of data tables.

Check out an individual hotel’s listing – they’re not giving much more info than you, but the presentation is beautiful and the reviews lend credibility.

Your hotel listing pages are probably the most credible pages on the site, but even here there’s a lack of polish – for example, the alignment issues on the booking form:

aplus.png

Agoda
    This is much more basic in some ways, sparse content and similar colours to you. But a great deal of care has been taken with alignment and general layout.

The call to action is strong and based around a nice, evocative image.

The placement of featured hotels works well for them and again, the reviews lend credibility.

Booking.com
    This is fairly close to your site, in terms of content. They too use the ‘best price guaranteed’ line. (Who do I believe, BTW? Surely at some point you can afford to discount no longer? It’s just not credible.).

The difference is, even tho there’s still a lot more they could do to tighten up the layout, it’s been carefully presented with decent alignment, subtler use of almost exactly the same colours and again, reviews for credibility.

Again, I’m sorry if I’ve been too harsh and confronting – it’s simply how I reacted to the site.

King
    Up

Thanks Kelsey

In terms of the alignment – what browser/screen res are you using? It has been multi tested on all the main ones with no issues.

I am a bit limited by what is included – sadly reviews is one of those. We can provide the score, but not the detail…

I’ll have a mull over the other points you raise.

kbrookes
    Up

1920 X 1080 – but that shouldn’t matter because your site is a fixed-width design.

I’ve tested it in Chrome, Firefox and Safari on a Mac.

It’s not a major issue by itself, it’s more symptomatic of the level of polish.

Another example would be this:

accomplus_2.png

Almost nothing aligns along the right edge: if you look closely, there’s even a 1 pixel inset where the bottom orange line below the menu finishes.

It’s a little thing, to be sure, but a lot of little things can build into a very large impression.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    kbrookes, post: 43792 wrote:
    Just the opposite! You’re clearly doing something right on your caricatures page!

If anything, it’s because you’ve shown personality and character on that page – it is fairly focused on illustration and caricatures in general, at least before you started promoting AccomPlus there.

On your caricatures account you engage and communicate, you don’t hoard your viewers, you retweet, share and have conversations.

Hi Kelsey,
    There is a lot of myth and hype about social media posted in this forum. It is great to read postings from people who look like they know how to use it to effect.

Regs,
    JohnW

kbrookes
    Up

Hi John,

I guess the lesson to take is that social media is not a panacea – it’s not for everyone, not for every business or product.

There’s no doubt it can work, but it’s clear that just throwing up Facebook and Twitter pages isn’t enough.

Your ability to relate to real people and find or create content that can engage them on a genuine human level is at the core of whatever success is to be found.

Even so, I’m frequently surprised by my clients, some of whom are personable and outgoing in real life, yet find the business of social media impossible. While others, one of whom works in an incredibly dry industry and would be the last person you’d think would go after a social media strategy, find success. This last one founded a thriving Ning community for his discipline which drives new potential clients his way on a daily basis. He’s eschewed Facebook and Twitter (almost certainly a very good decision) and focused his community-building efforts where they will do the most good for his community and his business.

I don’t have all the answers, but I’m certain that it starts with plain simple human conversation, whatever the media it occurs in.

King
    Up

Anyone else with thoughts on specifically ‘How to promote a promotion using social media?’

King
    Up

No other ideas/opinions?

quicksia
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

I have learn on many sites that social media sites are the best source of free traffic. Following this i have made accounts and start learning how to promote and get traffic from social media sites. still too early to say some thing but i am getting reasonable traffic from these sites.

Beanie
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Hey King

With Twitter the best results that you will get is when you use it as a real time interaction tool. I would try and stir up some interest by going to http://www.search.twitter.com and searching for some people who are talking about travelling, holidays etc and for people local to your area.

Then you need to start interacting with them, don’t just throw out check out my competition straight up. Show some interest in what they are doing, and try and help them out if they are after suggestions.

Twitter is a real time interaction tool and needs to be used as such.

You need to have a post on your blog with a picture of one of the destinations, with a post title like “Just picture yourself spending a relaxing weekend on…”
    The post needs to go through all of the benefits of the prize and create some real emotion for the reader, enough to enter the competition.

To get people to go from your Tweets to your blog post you also need to use tweets like the blog post title. “Just picture yourself lying on the beach in…”

Kelsey made a great point about facebook fan pages. You have to put some question out to stir up some interaction.

I would try something like “Who has been to any of the following destinations ?? What was your best experience there, and also please post any great photo’s that you have from your trip.

Hope this helps

Cheers Adam

kbrookes
    Up

Hey King,

I was just on TechCrunch and saw the following article and thought you might be interested. Particularly the second case study:

http://techcrunch.com/2010/07/17/how-social-media-drives-new-business-six-case-studies/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.