Home – New Forums Marketing mastery How to start Marketing for Huge site?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Vilson
    Participant
    • Total posts: 184
    Up
    ::

Hi Fs,

After one year, Finally day come for us to launch our brand new search portal.

But now i have main Question is that how to start marketing, Please give me you suggestion as it is Huge public Portal?

Thanks..

Create Online Test or Quiz on ScoreBell
    Qinnovate.com.au
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Hi Vilson,

I have worked with various prelaunch activities.

One thing that has always worked well is having a time to launch page with email subscription offering an incentive to join (maybe a discount when you launch).

Once you have a good number of subscribers, you can ask your subscribers any feedback or your industry or type.

Good luck!

check out http://launchrock.co/

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Vilson,
    Do I understand correctly that this will be a search site for:

• Jobs
    • Cars
    • Property
    • Shopping?

Do you realise that you are taking on people with multi-million dollar budgets and multi-million page websites?

If so, I can tell you how to market your site. It’s simple, all you need to do is buy out Fairfax, Murdock or one of the other media giants in your various market places.

With respect, I’d suggest you do not spend a dollar on implementation until you have a much more detailed knowledge of your online competition.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Vilson
    Participant
    Up

Hi Qinnovate, thanks for suggestion, we will try that launch rock.

Hi Johnw,

You are Right that i am not Big like that Fairfax, news Corp, REA group ltd, Seek ltd etc..But there is no point that if some one big in front of you then you just sit at home.

Competition is part of life man.

I have just one Concern that when mark zuckerberg Started Facebook, there were already Giant Companies in the Market like Google, My Space etc.

Please read My title, I am Asking for some Marketing tips for Huge site..

FS, Please give me Some Positive Comments as I learnt lots from you. thanks.

rdenton
    • Total posts: 90
    Up
    JohnW, post: 165195 wrote:
    Hi Vilson,
    Do I understand correctly that this will be a search site for:

• Jobs
    • Cars
    • Property
    • Shopping?

Do you realise that you are taking on people with multi-million dollar budgets and multi-million page websites?

If so, I can tell you how to market your site. It’s simple, all you need to do is buy out Fairfax, Murdock or one of the other media giants in your various market places.

With respect, I’d suggest you do not spend a dollar on implementation until you have a much more detailed knowledge of your online competition.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Valid, but since when has that ever stopped anyone from succeeding? If a product is good enough multi million dollar budgets won’t matter.

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up
    rdenton, post: 165204 wrote:
    Valid, but since when has that ever stopped anyone from succeeding? If a product is good enough multi million dollar budgets won’t matter.

I agree with John.

Don’t think huge!

Think small – what small niche can I target that provides a better experience then the big competitors. If you can win that battle then expand to a slightly bigger niche.

It’s like asking how to I compete with Apple or Microsoft – the answer being start with a massive pile of money and hope you don’t end up with a small pile of money ;)

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    vilson, post: 165201 wrote:
    Hi Johnw,
    You are Right that i am not Big like that Fairfax, news Corp, REA group ltd, Seek ltd etc..But there is no point that if some one big in front of you then you just sit at home.

Competition is part of life man.

I have just one Concern that when mark zuckerberg Started Facebook, there were already Giant Companies in the Market like Google, My Space etc.

Please read My title, I am Asking for some Marketing tips for Huge site..

FS, Please give me Some Positive Comments as I learnt lots from you. thanks.
    Hi Vilson,
    I’m in complete agreement about competition. It is the single biggest marketing factor on the Internet. The issue is, have you assessed it and developed strategies to tackle it.

What Google and Facebook did was come up wih greatly improved web products that satisfied user needs. They started out with a very small focus. They also recognised a need for funding and developed a business plan that achieved this objective before they started chasing major expansion.

Perhaps I’m missing something but all I see with your property is a website with essentially the same search functions as many other websites but with no information in it to search.

IMHO, Your starting points should be…

a. What is the site’s unique sales proposition or, why would someone list a car, job, product or property on your site instead of the many existing sites?

b. Have you got a business plan?

Has your business plan assessed your competition and developed strategies to counter their advantages. Eg:

• their focus on single product markets
    • strong brands with millions of visitors per month
    • millions of links from major news websites that own many of them
    • daily promotion in major print media
    • countless thousands of items to search
    • huge web develop budgets
    • huge sponsored links budgets, etc.

The Internet is a graveyard of searchable databases. A forum like this can’t do justice to the magnitude of the issues that you need to address.

I don’t want to seem negative but if you can’t address the problems and develop solutions for this project, sometimes the best advice is to quit it and find one where you do have the answers and resources to make it a success.
    Best regs,
    JohnW

Shane Walker
    • Total posts: 129
    Up

Hi Vilson,

It’s a hard question that you’ve asked here and I don’t feel that I can give you an exact answer with the facts that I have at hand. The reason being is that because you’re targeting a number of different niches, Car Sales, Pet Sales, etc. You got to have a different marketing method for each one of these. Secondly, who is your target market?

What you have to do is if you have to find:
    A. Who your target market is?
    B. Where they hangout?

Then work out a marketing method to get the message across to those particular people the best. For instance even with just Car Sales now, if I was targeting elderly driver’s from 50+ to sell cars to, I would use totally different marketing methods and channels. If I would be targeting first up new drivers who just got there license.
    I think it would be unfair to suggest a marketing method to you without knowing exactly who it is that you’re going to target and therefore we can work out their hangout and suggest the best way to target them. That’s the first thing you have to do, who do you want to target, where do they hangout and only then can you look at which would be the best way to reach them.

Hope this helps.
    Regards.

spinninghill
    • Total posts: 345
    Up

Nice layout. Tough question though. How to market this?

1. Pay companies to list with you / at least give them incentives to list with you.
    2. work out what you can give advertisers that carsales.com.au, Seek.com.au etc can’t do. What is your USP aside from having car, jobs and properties on the one site? E.G Rather than charge per advert, maybe consider offering a subscription service. For example, maybe charge $99/year for unlimited adverts. That way a car yard may decide to use your site and pay the equivalent of $1 per advert – eg, they list 99 cars with you.
    3. I think you need to be able to demonstrate to people how you will get their ads in front of a wide audience. How will you do this early days when you have low traffic counts?

Hmmm, difficult for me to help you out too much.

Good luck

Michael

FastLaner
    • Total posts: 45
    Up

Tough niche to jump into, fairly nice site though.

I have no experience in directory style business but somethings I would consider are:

Filling your site with listings from carsales,realestate.com.au etc. Even though you won’t be getting any money for listing on there at least you will have content that people and search engines can find.

Then as people find your site they can already see a bunch of advertises on there and may wish to advertise themselves.

Creating facebook pages for each area.. Then you can post status updates of new jobs, new cars etc etc. People will follow the pages as they might be job hunters or looking for a new car.

Offer free listings until you can build the site up and generate decent traffic. Gumtree is free (mostly) and its going well.

This is all I can think of, maybe useful maybe not :)

Vilson
    Participant
    Up

To All : Thanks for your time and Comments.

Special thanks to those who had Put Positive Comments.

Any more Suggestions, you are most Welcome.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.