Home – New Forums Other discussions How to stop people posting false information about my business on the net?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I run an internet based business and I have just received emails from a (probably dodgy) lead generation marketing company that seems to indicate that I have signed up for their service (which I haven’t).

It looks someone has put in one of my competitors names and my business email address and is likely to start spamming this incorrect information all over the net (sounds like some auto submission directory product?).
    Could possibly kill my SEO?
    I have done an IP information lookup (and saved it) with a date and time as the emails I received had the IP address of who submitted the information (again which isn’t me).
    I beleive it may be from a different competitor in my industry (different to the name on the submission form) .

I have emailed the website that said I have signed up with them and requested they cancel any requests made on my behalf – is there anything else I can do?

Have others come across things like this in the past?

Thanks for any help.

Trish FCA
    • Total posts: 235
    Up

Ouch!!! That sounds pretty low if a competitor has done that!

Hope that’s not the case.

ray_223
    Up

Hi Trish,

I hope not – I have no proof.

It’s an interesting question though –
    If someone starts posting your name or email around the place with incorrect information – what can you do about it?
    How do you find and stop the person?
    What authorities do you contact?

I do have an IP address/date and time – so if it comes to that “someone?” should be able to track down who typed that information in (or at what computer it wastyped in on).

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Hey Ray,

It depends on the situation, but in most cases you’re really powerless.

If it’s posted on a particular site, email the administrators and have them remove it (they’ll likely cooperate).

But you don’t have much chance of actually stopping the culprit outright – unless the activity is illegal enough to deem involving the federal police.

Your records of IP date/time probably wouldn’t sway any legal authority though. Especially considering most ISPs issues dynamic (changing) IP addresses. An ISP can look up who was issued the IP for that date/time, but they wouldn’t release the information to anyone but the authorities.

ray_223
    Up

Hi Chris,

Bugger – I can now confirm it wasn’t a random incident.
    I “assume” the same person has joined a web based forum and posted a comment under my name and displaying my business email address.
    The “account created” email had a username and passowrd (the password was an insult).

The post itself wasn’t harmfull, but why?

Even if I have a suspicion of who it is … there is nothing I can do I guess – until they do something illegal???
    I guess I should consult a solicitor/laywer to make sure?

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

I would be talking to the police, who may just be able to put onto the right department. This is no longer a joke it has become a crime and should be dealt in the appropiate manner.
    Make sure you have hard cpoies of everthing and every detail however small and insignificant.

Trish FCA
    • Total posts: 235
    Up
    ray_223, post: 32590 wrote:
    Hi Chris,

Bugger – I can now confirm it wasn’t a random incident.
    I “assume” the same person has joined a web based forum and posted a comment under my name and displaying my business email address.
    The “account created” email had a username and passowrd (the password was an insult).

The post itself wasn’t harmfull, but why?

Even if I have a suspicion of who it is … there is nothing I can do I guess – until they do something illegal???
    I guess I should consult a solicitor/laywer to make sure?

As underhanded as this practice is you should be thinking you must be doing something right for this person to find you such a threat. So power to you, Ray.

If only they used their powers for good instead of evil.

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Yeah take it as a compliment and mitigate the damage as much as possible.

As I said, contact the administrators of the forum and they’ll likely remove the account for you.

As Burgo suggested, there would be no harm in talk to the police. An initial report at least, so if they do persist perhaps the police may take some interest.

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

Yeah, I’d do what Burgo suggests. Log a police report. Plus Log everything. Document everything.

They won’t do anything, but if the problem persists, you will have some recourse or something to show a judge that dates back to the beginning.

Try contacting the forum owner to trace the IP.
    Report it to their ISP, they may have procedures in place to deal with it.

ray_223
    Up

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    I’ll record everything I find, report to any website where this stuff turns up and see how it goes over the next few days.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.