Home – New Forums Money matters How to write a quote?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    MissSquiggle
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hello all, I just joined the forum, so here goes with my first question.
    At the moment I’m self employed as a trainer, so I invoice for training services provided at a day rate plus GST.
    Ive been asked to do a landscaping project and involve local indigenous people in it.
    I’ve been asked to provide two quotes, one just for my services and one for materials and services.
    I’m not sure how this works! If I quote for materials does that mean I pay for them and then invoice for them? And do I put markup on them? As far as invoicing for my services, I’m still going to have to provide advice one what to buy as no one there has horticultural knowledge to do this. Also can I invoice for my vehicle and travel to site from my base?Budget is around 70,000 I’m told.
    Thanks for any advice, I’m sure I’ll have to do plenty of these in the future, I just want it to look professional.

nighttax
    • Total posts: 172
    Up
    MissSquiggle, post: 181773 wrote:
    Hello all, I just joined the forum, so here goes with my first question.
    At the moment I’m self employed as a trainer, so I invoice for training services provided at a day rate plus GST.
    Ive been asked to do a landscaping project and involve local indigenous people in it.
    I’ve been asked to provide two quotes, one just for my services and one for materials and services.
    I’m not sure how this works!

If I quote for materials does that mean I pay for them and then invoice for them? yes

And do I put markup on them? you probably should to at least cover the cost of running around to order them and interest on the money you use to pay for them (in case you use your credit card). Also many businesses add a profit mark up as well but this also affects your quotes competitiveness. It is up to you.

As far as invoicing for my services, I’m still going to have to provide advice one what to buy as no one there has horticultural knowledge to do this. Obviously your quote should include a $ value on the time you expect to expend on advising.

Also can I invoice for my vehicle and travel to site from my base?many businesses do include an allowance for this as it is a cost. The main thing you are selling is your time so if it takes time then it costs.

Remember it is easy to win quotes when you fail to cost things fully. But is the quote worth winning if you don’t?

Budget is around 70,000 I’m told.

Thanks for any advice, I’m sure I’ll have to do plenty of these in the future, I just want it to look professional.

See what others say as well.

regards
    Evan

MissSquiggle
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Thanks for that, Im still a bit confused. When I write the quote do I just put ‘plants…..$5000, etc or do I have to show where that price came from? Is it OK to just put a mark up from what I pay the nursery?
    And do I just invoice them at the end of the job? Or can I ask for part payment before the job commences? Say $20,000 so that I am not out of pocket, or is that not how its usually done? I have to get the plants ‘grown to order ‘ by the nursery so I reckon they will want some payment up front.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

I have done several quotes for lanscaping or similiar type work.

Yes I do put a markup on the cost of all materials, thats if I purchase them wholesale or retail, no different to any other business who sells products, you put your margin on them

When I do the quote I use a spreadsheet, and include cost of all materials and labour…In the labour include physical time on site doing the landscapping, time to pick up materials, time for providing advise. So effectivly you need to estimate all the time you will spend on that specific job, and include that $ value in your quote. In my case I have allowed in my hourly rate the cost of running my vehicle and any equipment, so you dont have to add that as a seperate thing in your spreadsheet.

No I do not show how I came to my price for materials, that is my business and not the clients, do you go to a retail store and aks how they came to the price of $6.52 for a jar of peanut butter.

As far as upfront deposits, for a 70K job where you are getting plants grown to order, I would definitely be asking for a deposit before you start and it would not be out of the question to ask for progress payments,

My quote would normally consist of the scope of work, so include a summary of everything you plan to do, if providing plants you could say I will provide X quantity if you like.

Than I just give one final figure, of XXXX dollars, I dont break it down by materials or labour, at the end of the day you are quoting on the job, so one price is sufficient. At no time does the client see my spreadsheet.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.