Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Howdy beautiful people!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jedazzy
    • Total posts: 21
    Up
    ::

Hello everyone,

I’ve been a lurker for sometime now (well, almost 2 months) reading posts and gathering information and inspiration. I guess it’s time to come out of my shell and introduce myself :)

My name is Jed and I’m in the process of creating an online store for products made in the Philippines. So far I have bags but will be expanding to other products such as accessories in the future. In the next month, my goal is to launch my online store. In 3 months, my goal is to join pop-up/ weekend markets. In 6 months, my goal is to expand to other product lines.

I just have a few questions that maybe you guys can help:

– As I will be operating this as a sole-trader, I want to trade as ‘MNL Collective’. Do I need to register this in ASIC?
    – What is my obligation to the buyer, do I need to provide an Invoice or a Tax Invoice? I don’t think I’ll be earning more than $75k .. at least not yet :)
    – I’ve managed to drill down to 2 possible e-commerce sites : Shopify and Squarespace. Any experience you have with these 2?

Thank you guys! Cheers!

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Hi Jed and welcome

If you are going to trade under anything except your own name you will need to register it.

I would be providing an invoice /receipt for your sales – You should get yourself aligned with an accountant to ensure that you set yourself up correctly from day one. You can register for GST at any time but remember that the sooner you register the sooner you can claim back the GST you are spending as well.

I don’t have any advice on the ecommerce sites other than to ensure that you can transfer away from them in the future, should you choose to.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Jed,

Nice to meet you :)

I love your idea of staggering each stage of the launch so you can build your structure step by step – great planning on your part.

We have some very knowledgeable e-commerce folks around here, but they may not see your question in this part of the forum. I recommend starting a new question asking about the different platforms over in the Selling online section of the forum.

Good luck for your new venture,
    Jayne

eWAY
    • Total posts: 524
    Up

Hi Jed,

Just saw this and thought I’d let you know regarding squarespace v shopify.

Shopify is AWESOME for eCommerce. Super easy to use, great templates to get you started, plenty of plugins to extend your shop for marketing, wholesale rates, etc etc. Well worth giving it a go. Shopify is built for eCommerce as it’s number 1 and we’ve got hundreds (if not thousands) of Australian merchants using it as it integrates nicely with eWAY and Australia Post.

SquareSpace is a content management system first with eCommerce as an afterthought and as such it’s uptake is pretty much nothing in Australia for eCommerce. It doesn’t integrate with any Australian gateways or shipping providers.

Check out a recent success story about a 17 year old shoolboy that setup a tea business using Shopify (and eWAY incidentally) – http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/denis-walter-blog/bodytea-teen-makes-10k-a-week/20140205-320yg.html

Let me know if you have any questions.

Maclean

affgar
    • Total posts: 123
    Up

Good luck with your website! I hope it goes really well for you.
    You provide invoices unless you want to register for GST in which case it would be a Tax Invoice.
    Just be mindful that if you register for GST it can add a lot of fairly regular work load to be accounted for.
    Hope it all goes well. Keep us posted :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.