Home – New Forums Other discussions How’s your memory?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Lindz
    • Total posts: 254
    Up
    ::

Was part of a discussion the other night about age and things and was surprised to learn that even some thirty somethings couldn’t remember life without the internet! Really? 😮

Meanwhile, I remember a teacher in a Commercial Practice and Principles class in the sixties predicting that one day there would a ‘small computer on every desk’. Phhhht! Yeah right ?!:rolleyes:

I think I need to lie down.:o

Lindsay

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Howdy Lindsay

Interesting.. i was chatting to a clinical therapist the other day who had a corporate gig with Ericsson back in the day and she was talking about how they foreseen the application of 3g/4g and how everyone would be bound to their devices well and truly before they were invented..

I know its a little off topic, but was interesting to see that they were interpreting the potential use and side effects that this would have (maybe i should have said disadvantages?) on everyones life including family, work and so forth. Apparently they were really looking at it from every angle! Maybe so they could figure out how to be profiteer though ;)

As an over 30’s, internet.. mmm,,, i recall the days i used to build forts from cardboard boxes supplied by my parents when they had bought a new fridge or something large! LOL

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Steve_Minshall
    • Total posts: 518
    Up

So for the people who can remember pre-internet can you remember what the first thing you used the internet for?

I remember my first real use of the internet in the 90s was for forums to help with getting my Australian visa. Back then I would use my AOL software to dial into a usenet group, it would download just the headings of new threads and ones I was following then log off. I would un-select the threads that didn’t sound interesting and then dial back in to download the content of the threads I wanted to read and log off again. I would then read the content off-line and only dial back in if I wanted to post a response.

I don’t remember when I started using email but I guess it would have been part of the AOL bundle. I only started using email seriously when I worked in Belize in 1998 because I could send emails back to England compared to the $7/minute phone calls.

So what where the first things you did on the internet/www?

niknah
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

When I was a kid, the school purchased a computer from Dick Smith for the class and the teacher tried to type English into it expecting an answer as if it was human. I thought he was an idiot. But that’s what everyone is doing now with google search.

Yes, before the web took off, the most useful thing on the internet was usenet. There were also BBSes that sent you mail with a one to two day delay. Fidonet, etc.

help4bis.com
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

Well there was the carbon based internet :-). Commandor 64 or the philips P2000 I think it was. Little tapes, 4k memory etc etc. take floppy from C64 and walk it over to your mate :-).

Then came the modems…. oooh that was shit hot… 1200 oh wow 2400 man, mind blowing. I used it for chat forums, but messing around trying to poke (you know who).

But the internet as we know it now, was part of fax and data on mobile phones back in 1994. Just for development, make it work for the big telco’s here in AU and EU… yeah I am boring I know.

My kids, have no concept of tapes, beta or vhs, CD’s are known but only for games, they turn stuff on and off using their IPad’s. Dad has two women who tell him what to do… one called mum and the other called the “TomTom lady”.

Anyways….. sign of the time really :-).

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

In 1987 I was sending code type emails down the phone line (internet) that were for type that came out as typesetting galleys at the other end at a typographic house. I actually knew all the type codes in those days for typesetting correctly. Then a courier would deliver the type galleys the following afternoon and I could put together the type and bromides I made in the studio to make the artwork for print. It was amazing at the time because previously I used to have to type out the text on a typewriter and manually mark up everything with typographic marks correctly for typesetting. They do not teach students this any more.

help4bis.com
    • Total posts: 268
    Up
    KarenC, post: 194628 wrote:
    In 1987 I was sending code type emails down the phone line (internet) that were for type that came out as typesetting galleys at the other end at a typographic house. I actually knew all the type codes in those days for typesetting correctly. Then a courier would deliver the type galleys the following afternoon and I could put together the type and bromides I made in the studio to make the artwork for print. It was amazing at the time because previously I used to have to type out the text on a typewriter and manually mark up everything with typographic marks correctly for typesetting. They do not teach students this any more.

I did not know that that is how it worked… cool. Learned something again today, thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.