Home – New Forums Starting your journey Huge failure to launch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Pre-launch
    • Total posts: 22
    Up
    ::

Well, I’m currently combing over the carcass of my fashion brand which has failed before it has even begun..

I thought we were set. We have a great quality product, a point of difference, huge range, highly competitive retail and wholesale pricing, video, photos, website, all bang on. We got signed up with a buying group which is some kind of validation that what we have on offer is good..

I invested everything in launching the brand at a fashion trade expo, thought we would be fighting people off with a stick.

Result… Not one single sale :(

We marketed the brand, phone, and mail outs… Nobody even could be bothered to come down to see us.

It wasn’t just us that had a hard run, turnout was at a record low, it was just dead. You could see the strain and desperation on many people’s faces.

I never realised just how hard it is to get a new brand on the shelves in our particular niche of the fashion world.
    Retailers are cautious having been burnt by fly by night brands in the past.

Not sure where to go from here..

My gut feeling is that nobody wants to be the first to take us on.
    Also I feel that I think retailers feel that the product won’t move, dispite the quality and benifets, because it is new and unheard of.

We stupidly put everything on black with this show, we are left with almost no capital but plenty of samples and some stock.

Rough plan is basically to start beating a path to retailers doors and trying to pitch our brand, other than that….

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Mesa Paradigm
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

You have a website, pricing, product and everything else you require, why not start initially by selling some of your products online and trying to recoup some of your losses there? Especially if you manage to become popular off your own e-store then you may not even need to go down the path of relying on retailers to move your product for you.

Is this something you have considered or looked into at all?

Pre-launch
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

Selling online ourselves through our company website is a big no no in retailers minds, they won’t stock you out of principle alone if they perceive that you are competing with them.

That said, we have already opened a second online store to try to shift some stock. But wholesale is what we are aiming for.

Mesa Paradigm
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

What exactly is your product? What is your pricing like, your target audience, your turnaround times etc?

Send me a pm with some further information as I have some contacts who I may talk to depending on some further information.

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up

I respectfully suggest that is ‘old school’ thinking.

I have a fashion retailer who is online, selling in their own shops and wholesaling to other retailers.

If people want your product then any retailer will stock it… they would be crazy not to… especially in this climate.

Your job is to create the demand for your product and the internet is your quickest leverage point to achieve that.

:-)

Pre-launch, post: 154824 wrote:
    Selling online ourselves through our company website is a big no no in retailers minds, they won’t stock you out of principle alone if they perceive that you are competing with them.

That said, we have already opened a second online store to try to shift some stock. But wholesale is what we are aiming for.

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up
    Pre-launch, post: 154822 wrote:
    Well, I’m currently combing over the carcass of my fashion brand which has failed before it has even begun..

I thought we were set. We have a great quality product, a point of difference, huge range, highly competitive retail and wholesale pricing, video, photos, website, all bang on. We got signed up with a buying group which is some kind of validation that what we have on offer is good..

I invested everything in launching the brand at a fashion trade expo, thought we would be fighting people off with a stick.

Result… Not one single sale :(

We marketed the brand, phone, and mail outs… Nobody even could be bothered to come down to see us.

It wasn’t just us that had a hard run, turnout was at a record low, it was just dead. You could see the strain and desperation on many people’s faces.

I never realised just how hard it is to get a new brand on the shelves in our particular niche of the fashion world.
    Retailers are cautious having been burnt by fly by night brands in the past.

Not sure where to go from here..

My gut feeling is that nobody wants to be the first to take us on.
    Also I feel that I think retailers feel that the product won’t move, dispite the quality and benifets, because it is new and unheard of.

We stupidly put everything on black with this show, we are left with almost no capital but plenty of samples and some stock.

Rough plan is basically to start beating a path to retailers doors and trying to pitch our brand, other than that….

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Usually many would chime in with various suggestions on how to improve sales yada yada however based on your description it may already be beyond that.

It probably doesn’t help at this point to question your financial model and the degree to which it was stress tested at feasibility stage (if in fact it was) – so the only suggestion I have is that perhaps your overall strategy requires a recast. For example you may need to look to partner with another entity (another wholesaler for example). Do you have any contacts with other wholesalers that may be interested in this?

The other option (again if things are so dire) is that you integrate retail operations and bin the third party wholesaling. As suggested above – you could start online to keep costs down.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up
    Warren Cottis, post: 154834 wrote:

I have a fashion retailer who is online, selling in their own shops and wholesaling to other retailers.

If people want your product then any retailer will stock it… they would be crazy not to… especially in this climate.

Your job is to create the demand for your product and the internet is your quickest leverage point to achieve that.

Good point Warren. If you commit to upholding RRP then your retailers shouldn’t have an issue.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

Have you tried approaching small boutiques in person? I don’t know if your product will suit, but it may be a good way to get noticed.

You could also send out press releases/samples to magazines.

Dee.
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

Hi Pre-Launch,

I totally agree with Warren and Mesa on this one.

You mentioned that wholesale is what you’re looking for and that selling online is a ‘no no’ – however if those ‘principles’ (if you will) aren’t working out in real life, then Plan B / C / D should be explored and put into effect, no?

Even within my field (motion picture camera sales and hire), there are many instances where ‘frowned upon’ trade principles / etiquette come from a very old school mentality and it seems that the brands that are thriving are the ones that respectfully work within reasonable confines, but set their own rules at the same time.

Might sound a bit naive, but ‘the beaten track is for beaten men’ no?

Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter. I genuinely do hope that the many wise individuals here may help you with your journey and provide a positive outcome to your plight.

All the best Pre-Launch, and god speed

Dee

Meat Lover
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

If retailers are stuck in this “old school” mindset it’s still something you’ll have to contend with. Sometimes these attitudes can transcend all logic and reasoning.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.